Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Spring Break Big 255 Board Edition

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by TlSSER:
Originally posted by bergy07:
MD,
Interested in hearing your prediction on if there is a player who will be selected in the 1st round who will be out of the league in 3 years? Anthony Davis fit that crystal ball mold?

Most 1st rounders have at least three years to show their stuff, so I cannot see anyone out of the league that quickly.

However, the player you mentioned, Anthony Davis, has a pretty high bust potential, in my mind. This is a man's league, and if you are immature, and don't work hard, you are going to get blown up in the NFL.

hey MD.....who are your two realistic 1st Round Choices at #13 and #17?

I think the team will target Haden and Spiller at 13, and the best available OL at 17. Haden is most likely at 13, as I suspect Spiller will go before him.

Mark me down for Haden and Brown, especially with the emergence of Sam Bradford as the future number one. The team needs to start thinking long term about matching up with him.

I see what you're saying and would not be unhappy with Haden and Brown. But if Bradford goes to the Rams, and the team wants to "match up" with him, wouldn't it make more sense to go with Haden and . . . Brandon Graham?

Then pick up one of the second tier OL in the second? A guy like Veldheer maybe, who quietly had a great showing at the Combine, a 5.09 in the 40 (fourth overal), and top five in almost every other category. And he's got great size--a terrific prospect for Solari to mold into a RT?

I think OT is the highest priority in this draft, and cannot see any scenario where the Niners do not pick one up in round one. The worst case scenario I could see is the team trading back in the first round to draft Rodger Saffold.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Niners23:
Hey MadDog, you have Akwasi Owusu-Ansah Indiana, Brandon Ghee and Major Wright all going before our 3rd round pick. Do you think any one of those players is worth moving up for, or are there other good DB to be found in the 3rd and beyond?

I think Owusu-Ansah is the third best CB in this draft, so I think he's got great value, as a future starting CB and excellent special teamer. I like the kid a ton.

I grade Wright a full round lower than both Allen and Burnett. I think he's going to struggle in the NFL.

As for Ghee, fast kid, no doubt. And, he doesn't mind sticking his helmet on someone. I just don't see the productivity and playmaking ability at the next level. Zero interceptions in 2009. Yikes!!!

Yep. Ghee has the tools physically, but I think he may lack elite instincts.

As for Haden and Brown, I'm all for that. Yours truly had us selecting a Brown-Iupati combo in my first mock this past November. A scenario I still don't see being all that farfetched actually.

We are in agreement on our first round priorities. Fix the O-Line now, dramatically.
Originally posted by thuglife619:
Hey madDog and otc what are your guys toughts on penn st Sean Lee ILB? does he fit the ted spot?

Not at 236 pounds. I think he is best as a 4-3 Will, to be honest. Best in space, not taking on blockers.

Honestly, I think Lee will be out of the league in 4 years due to injuries. I see a short shelf life.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by ninergold:
I'm hoping that if they end up with a guy like Brown, that they have traded down and received another 3rd round pick this year.

But it seems like everyone thinks Lupati is a sure thing. Do you take the BPA or draft an OT?

At 13 or 17? Iupati is far from a sure thing. You watch him in the Senior Bowl game getting knocked on his ass. He is still fairly raw.

And his performance at the Combine was average, at best.

He's a big guy, and may have a mean streak, but he's no sure thing and would be a REACH in the first round, IMHO.

Average? Most reports say he had a solid combine at the very worst. Teams trying him at tackle acknowledged he'd need work if you wanted to move him there, but there is no question that Mike is the best guard prospect in the draft.

Yes, but he's not a OT, so why reach for him in the first round?

And irrespective of what "most reports" may say, a look at the Combine standings for O-linemen shows that he's not in the top 10 in any category. "Solid" is just a nice way of saying "average."

So I repeat, he's big, but he's not particularly strong, or quick, or fast. He played against inferior competition at a small school and showed just how raw he is at the Sr. Bowl, when the competition level went up.

I respect your opinion, but I am unconvinced that Mike Iupati would be a good pick for the Niners in the first round.

Iupati was one of the Senior Bowl week stars, according to scouts and coaches. He was the leading vote-getter in a poll run by a journalist on who scouts thought was most likely to be a Pro-Bowl player.

The Senior Bowl game is very insignificant compared to the practices in the eyes of scouts. I think the struggles he had in the game will be dismissed to playing RG, instead of LG (where he was much better).
Originally posted by 49erFanOrlandoFl:
How would you guys feel about drafting 2 CBs and a safety?
I love Morgan Burnett at 49 with 79 Jerome Murphy could be a strong addition to our secondary and with the 144th pick AJ Jefferson is very raw as a CB but no one is a better kick returner and with his speed and athletic ability the risk vs reward factor is on his side. Place him under the wing of Clements and Spencer he may become a heck of a DB sooner rather than later
I really believe either Bulaga or Williams will be there at 13 with 17 i would choose between Graham or Iupati, maybe Hughes

The team would have to be seriously considering dumping Clements if they wanted to draft 3 DB's, and probably also feel that R. Smith's future with the team is limited, at best.

In the end, I think the team will pick up two secondary members this draft.
Originally posted by GORO:
MadDog what do you think the Niners would do if Dez Bryant is available when pick 13 is up? Will he be the highest on their board? Or will they be afraid to deal with his agent again?

I don't think the team will pick Bryant at 13 or 17, if on the board. The team generally runs 2 WR-2TE sets, and the squad already has an abundance of WR's (especially with B. Jones being a big question mark I think they want answered in 2010).

As for Eugene Parker, his biggest argument last year is that Crabtree's draft value went down due to Crab's inability to work out before the draft. He will not have the same argument with Bryant, who works out later today.
Originally posted by hofer36:
MD,
Interested in hearing your prediction on if there is a player who will be selected in the 1st round who will be out of the league in 3 years? Anthony Davis fit that crystal ball mold?

Most 1st rounders have at least three years to show their stuff, so I cannot see anyone out of the league that quickly.

However, the player you mentioned, Anthony Davis, has a pretty high bust potential, in my mind. This is a man's league, and if you are immature, and don't work hard, you are going to get blown up in the NFL.

I think the team will target Haden and Spiller at 13, and the best available OL at 17. Haden is most likely at 13, as I suspect Spiller will go before him.

Mark me down for Haden and Brown, especially with the emergence of Sam Bradford as the future number one. The team needs to start thinking long term about matching up with him.

pat kirwan's mock had niners taking haden, then quoted a scout who said beware, haden is a "boundary" cornerback---what is a boundary cornerback?

Boundary corner can mean a lot of things to a lot of teams, but generally describes a corner who plays closer to the LOS, doesn't mind run support and blitzing, but does not have great open-field skills. The term boundary relates to college football having wide hashmarks, usually limiting the size of the field on one side. A boundary corner in college usually has the sideline as an additional support.

A field corner usually is stronger in open field running. Look for 3-cone times to see which athletes generally are more fluid on the field.

I hope this helps.
MD,

I see what you're saying and would not be unhappy with Haden and Brown. But if Bradford goes to the Rams, and the team wants to "match up" with him, wouldn't it make more sense to go with Haden and . . . Brandon Graham?

Then pick up one of the second tier OL in the second? A guy like Veldheer maybe, who quietly had a great showing at the Combine, a 5.09 in the 40 (fourth overal), and top five in almost every other category. And he's got great size--a terrific prospect for Solari to mold into a RT?

I think OT is the highest priority in this draft, and cannot see any scenario where the Niners do not pick one up in round one. The worst case scenario I could see is the team trading back in the first round to draft Rodger Saffold.

I saw your comment above about the team trading back out of the #17 pick, and assumed this is what you meant.

Hopefully, one of the top OTs--Williams or Bulaga--falls to #13, then we go for a DB with #17, but I think they're all gonna be gone in the top ten, and I'd hate to see us reach for an OT. To me, Brown is similar enough to Saffold that I'd rather trade back and take Saffold than take Brown at #17.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by ninergold:
I'm hoping that if they end up with a guy like Brown, that they have traded down and received another 3rd round pick this year.

But it seems like everyone thinks Lupati is a sure thing. Do you take the BPA or draft an OT?

At 13 or 17? Iupati is far from a sure thing. You watch him in the Senior Bowl game getting knocked on his ass. He is still fairly raw.

And his performance at the Combine was average, at best.

He's a big guy, and may have a mean streak, but he's no sure thing and would be a REACH in the first round, IMHO.

Average? Most reports say he had a solid combine at the very worst. Teams trying him at tackle acknowledged he'd need work if you wanted to move him there, but there is no question that Mike is the best guard prospect in the draft.

Yes, but he's not a OT, so why reach for him in the first round?

And irrespective of what "most reports" may say, a look at the Combine standings for O-linemen shows that he's not in the top 10 in any category. "Solid" is just a nice way of saying "average."

So I repeat, he's big, but he's not particularly strong, or quick, or fast. He played against inferior competition at a small school and showed just how raw he is at the Sr. Bowl, when the competition level went up.

I respect your opinion, but I am unconvinced that Mike Iupati would be a good pick for the Niners in the first round.

Iupati was one of the Senior Bowl week stars, according to scouts and coaches. He was the leading vote-getter in a poll run by a journalist on who scouts thought was most likely to be a Pro-Bowl player.

The Senior Bowl game is very insignificant compared to the practices in the eyes of scouts. I think the struggles he had in the game will be dismissed to playing RG, instead of LG (where he was much better).

I recognize the limitations of judging a player by his performance in just one game, and gave Iupati the benefit of the doubt going into the Combine, even after he was thoroughly owned during the Sr. Bowl. Not just beaten once or thrice, he was thoroughly owned at several positions throughout the game, to the point where he could have been called for holding on nearly every play.

A "heavy legged waist bender" was the label put on him by Jamie Dukes of NFL Network. (Yes, an opinion taken with a grain of salt.)

I was further disappointed at his showing at the Combine, however.

He's got excellent size and arm length, but not the quickness or speed necessary to play OT, IMHO, making him strictly a Guard in the NFL.

As a Guard, he does not appear to have better than average strength, making him a second rounder, or late first round prospect, at best. IMHO.

Frankly, I think Iupati's been the beneficiary of alot of post season hype--and if all the scouts at the "Mike Nolan Classic" (one of your better phrases) were talking him up, maybe they were doing so in hopes of blinding some other team to his limitations. I understand that some of that kind of thing goes on at this time of year.
Originally posted by hofer36:
MD,

pat kirwan's mock had niners taking haden, then quoted a scout who said beware, haden is a "boundary" cornerback---what is a boundary cornerback?

Boundary corner can mean a lot of things to a lot of teams, but generally describes a corner who plays closer to the LOS, doesn't mind run support and blitzing, but does not have great open-field skills. The term boundary relates to college football having wide hashmarks, usually limiting the size of the field on one side. A boundary corner in college usually has the sideline as an additional support.

A field corner usually is stronger in open field running. Look for 3-cone times to see which athletes generally are more fluid on the field.

I hope this helps.

thanks--would you agree with the assessment of haden as beinga boundary cornerback
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GORO:
MadDog what do you think the Niners would do if Dez Bryant is available when pick 13 is up? Will he be the highest on their board? Or will they be afraid to deal with his agent again?

I don't think the team will pick Bryant at 13 or 17, if on the board. The team generally runs 2 WR-2TE sets, and the squad already has an abundance of WR's (especially with B. Jones being a big question mark I think they want answered in 2010).

As for Eugene Parker, his biggest argument last year is that Crabtree's draft value went down due to Crab's inability to work out before the draft. He will not have the same argument with Bryant, who works out later today.

Very insightful MadDog you always find a way to show that you are the most knowledgable 49er fan.
MD,

Do you really feel that Haden has the ability to unseat Clements. With the the CB talent that will be available in rounds 2-3 I don't see why we should burn a pick that high on him. If we were talking Berry than I would say do it, but I'm not that excited about Haden.
Originally posted by jreff22:
MD,

Do you really feel that Haden has the ability to unseat Clements. With the the CB talent that will be available in rounds 2-3 I don't see why we should burn a pick that high on him. If we were talking Berry than I would say do it, but I'm not that excited about Haden.

I think it's more a matter of planning for a future without Clements in it. I don't believe he'll be worth his salary next year, so in that case you need to have a plan. It also helps as our secondary isn't exactly stellar as is.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by jreff22:
MD,

I think it's more a matter of planning for a future without Clements in it. I don't believe he'll be worth his salary next year, so in that case you need to have a plan. It also helps as our secondary isn't exactly stellar as is.

The point I'm getting at is when will Haden play? Any OT we draft will be expected to start this year, Spiller would be expected to play right away, Iupati would probably start, etc etc. Haden would still have to fight out Brown for the nickel spot. Considering so much is on the line this year we need our high picks to start and make an impact.
Hey Maddog:
It is getting close to the draft, can we expect your annual 49er draft prediction?