There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Spring Break Big 255 Board Edition

• GORO
  • Veteran
They should take Spiller and Lupati. Then trade back into round one and get Charles Brown later in round 1.

Then resign Walt Harris and Dre Bly for secondary depth
Originally posted by jreff22:
First off MD

Secondly you will now be referred to as "The Webzone's Aslan"

Now to the real stuff....

If Jerry is available in the 2nd would what would the pick be? Because we are skeptical at OG at this point and Pashos has walked wouldn't Jerry be the wiser pick? I have 0 issues with the Allen pick, but Jerry would add a great multi need as a OG/OT.

Now this one has me scratching my head.... Amari Spievey, you have him as the 10th rated CB on the board. To me that's a lil high for the kid, convince me on this pick and his placement. The only other site I use for decent rankings is draft scout which is fairly accurate. They have him as the 14th ranked CB which seems a little more accurate. Also his size may raise the red flag to the organization due to him being under the 5'11 mark (not by much but this is a game on inches).

Looking down a bit to the 6th round. Per your board you have 188 LeRoy Vann Florida A&M WR/CB still sitting. Knowing that we are looking to add some return guys (hopefully more then 1) and we have shown some interest in this kid why no dice?

Where is Micah Johnson?

Micah Johnson posted one of the slowest times in recent history for a linebacker, and that does not bode well for him. Rarely do MLB's post times in 4.90+ range and get drafted.

LeRoy Vann is going to be drafted. Way too many teams giving him a lot of attention.

Amari Spievey had 15 formal interviews at the combine, which is a pretty sizable number. The Falcons grade him as a first round pick, according to the National Football Post. He's got a little buzz going right now, and will fit right in that 3rd round. He's right at 5'11", and has a good frame.

Jerry is going to get a lot of looks at RT, and I think that 45-55 area is where he will land.
Originally posted by leonbanton:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'll try to answer a couple responses about Brown in this post:

I think Brown is going to have inflationary value on draft day due to the number of top 10 teams that will target OT, and well as the Niners at either 13 or 17.

As we have seen before, once the top tier of OT's are off the board, the next tier of OT's seem to make bonus money, as teams "reach" for OL. This will probably be the case with Brown.

Charles Brown is a very talented OT. He was selected the best OL in the Pac-10 by Pac-10 defensive linemen in receiving the Morris Trophy (a better judge than writers or coaches, in my opinion). He is one of those converted TE's (Joe Staley was the same). Brown has stacked on about 15-20 pounds this last year, and has the frame to add more. He's listed at 6'6", 305, and has very long arms (a bonus for an OT).

Brown's strength is pass protection, and he will need time to gain strength (only 21 reps at 225), and technique to improve run blocking. He could give Staley a run for his money at the LT position (this could be a solid battle). In the end, the Niners may be best suited to move Staley to RT, as he is a developing run-blocker, and decent pass protecting LT. Brown, in my opinion, has a bit more long-range upside at LT than Staley.

USC's Pro-Days always seem to bring out the best in their players, and I think Brown will look terrific in drills and in running. I expect a sub-5.00 time.

why would you draft a finesse left tackle who is almost in the same mold that you already have when you have a dominant OL in lupati who most have already cited easily having the potential to move to right tackle. Also the latter has the right temperment and tenacity the line is lacking. Why reach so high when there are a couple of pretty good, which is what you're getting anyway, candidates for RT later in the draft.

Very good questions. After looking at Iupati's workout numbers, I think he is best suited to stay inside at guard.

As for Brown, he's got a big enough frame to add 15 more pounds. I think the Niners would jump at him if the other OT's they covet are off the board first. He will need to work on his run blocking, but from all accounts is very teachable and bright. So, he may need a couple years like Staley to become a solid run blocker, but the bigger problem for this team is keeping Smith upright. And, that is Brown's strength.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
How do you see realisticly Trent Williams in the top 5 range. I think its way off, and personally I think he'll be the steal of the first round at 17, unless someone trades up to get him at 14,15, or 16. I could be wrong, but doesnt there have to be some versatility in the player-especially playing on the left side-to be picked that high.

(Top 5 is pretty darn high for a RT, right?)

Once again, I am projecting how I think they will play in this league, but rather on how teams view the player.

Just like Andre Smith appeared to be just a RT after his horrific offseason, teams still graded him pretty high overall. Hence, the high draft choice. He probably would have been selected by the 49ers overall Crabtree last year.

The latest buzz the past couple of weeks has Williams' arrow pointing up, into that top ten. I'd be surprised if he falls beyond the Bills at 9.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 29, 2010 at 12:12:49 ]
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
It's looking more and more like Charles Brown is a real possibility for the 49ers at 17. Im even hearing that Seattle could take him at 14 if they do not take an OT at #6. I like Brown, he is a good prospect with a very big upside. His best football is clearly ahead of him but Im not sure if he can start as a rookie and I think everyone would agree he is a natural LT. of course with us going to a more zone blocking scheme he could fit in as a RT and from the comments I read from Baalke, it seems like the team is more than willing to move Staley to RT if they feel they can get a real good LT.

We'll see, I still think Brown would be bit of a reach at 17.

Brown has serious upside, and he is moving up. With Carroll at Seattle, if the team selects Berry at 6, they might target Brown at 14.
First off MD

If Jerry is available in the 2nd would what would the pick be? Because we are skeptical at OG at this point and Pashos has walked wouldn't Jerry be the wiser pick? I have 0 issues with the Allen pick, but Jerry would add a great multi need as a OG/OT.

Now this one has me scratching my head.... Amari Spievey, you have him as the 10th rated CB on the board. To me that's a lil high for the kid, convince me on this pick and his placement. The only other site I use for decent rankings is draft scout which is fairly accurate. They have him as the 14th ranked CB which seems a little more accurate. Also his size may raise the red flag to the organization due to him being under the 5'11 mark (not by much but this is a game on inches).

Looking down a bit to the 6th round. Per your board you have 188 LeRoy Vann Florida A&M WR/CB still sitting. Knowing that we are looking to add some return guys (hopefully more then 1) and we have shown some interest in this kid why no dice?

Where is Micah Johnson?

Micah Johnson posted one of the slowest times in recent history for a linebacker, and that does not bode well for him. Rarely do MLB's post times in 4.90+ range and get drafted.

LeRoy Vann is going to be drafted. Way too many teams giving him a lot of attention.

Amari Spievey had 15 formal interviews at the combine, which is a pretty sizable number. The Falcons grade him as a first round pick, according to the National Football Post. He's got a little buzz going right now, and will fit right in that 3rd round. He's right at 5'11", and has a good frame.

Jerry is going to get a lot of looks at RT, and I think that 45-55 area is where he will land.

In my opinion, on Micah, I think he's faster -- and plays faster -- than that. One of the things many commentators noted was that he had surprising range for his enormous size. I imagine if he's too slow right now, a team would advise him to cut weight.

Still, I see Johnson getting drafted somewhere around the 6th or so.
First off MD

Where is Micah Johnson?

Johnson did clock at 4.84 at his pro day
First off MD

Where is Micah Johnson?

Which is faster than Brandon Spikes :) I thin Johnson could be a good pickup for a team that needs him to operate in smaller spaces. A classical ted
Originally posted by stever:
First off MD

Where is Micah Johnson?

Which is faster than Brandon Spikes :) I thin Johnson could be a good pickup for a team that needs him to operate in smaller spaces. A classical ted

Which explains my interest in him, I would like to snag him in the 5th-6th range.
Hey MadDog, you have Akwasi Owusu-Ansah Indiana, Brandon Ghee and Major Wright all going before our 3rd round pick. Do you think any one of those players is worth moving up for, or are there other good DB to be found in the 3rd and beyond?
great job MD
Hey MadDog, What ever happened to Chris Scott from Tennessee? Why has he fallen so much?
Originally posted by bergy07:
MD,
Interested in hearing your prediction on if there is a player who will be selected in the 1st round who will be out of the league in 3 years? Anthony Davis fit that crystal ball mold?

Most 1st rounders have at least three years to show their stuff, so I cannot see anyone out of the league that quickly.

However, the player you mentioned, Anthony Davis, has a pretty high bust potential, in my mind. This is a man's league, and if you are immature, and don't work hard, you are going to get blown up in the NFL.
Originally posted by bergy07:
MD,
Interested in hearing your prediction on if there is a player who will be selected in the 1st round who will be out of the league in 3 years? Anthony Davis fit that crystal ball mold?

Most 1st rounders have at least three years to show their stuff, so I cannot see anyone out of the league that quickly.

However, the player you mentioned, Anthony Davis, has a pretty high bust potential, in my mind. This is a man's league, and if you are immature, and don't work hard, you are going to get blown up in the NFL.

hey MD.....who are your two realistic 1st Round Choices at #13 and #17?
Originally posted by jta854:
Hey MadDog, What ever happened to Chris Scott from Tennessee? Why has he fallen so much?

He's a borderline draftee. I can see the case both ways for him. He's seasoned, and played at a pretty high level in the SEC. On the other hand, he's so unathletic compared to many other OL in this draft. That may get him in the end. A 5.50 forty, 19 reps, and a 22" vertical? Yikes!!!!

He's strictly a phone booth guard.