There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2nd Rd OT's

Well I thought for sure we would get either Trent Williams or Anthony Davis at 13 but now im not so confident anymore, so what do we do?

which means we could either reach on a Bruce Campbell at 13 or 17 or take the best two players available at 13 and 17 and take an OT in the 2nd rd. I am a big Jason Fox fan and he could be had in the 2nd rd but he a natural LT and while he certainly could play RT, I don't think it would be the best fit for him. Im not a big fan of Vladimir Duccasse who seems to be "sexy" "sleeper" offensive lineman for a lot of draft people but im not a fan. Im starting to look at Kyle Calloway (Iowa), Ciron Black (LSU) and Jared Veldheer (Hillside) as potential 2nd rd right tackle picks for the 49ers as I don't think it is a slam dunk anymore we will take an OT with one of our 1st rd picks with it looking like a real possibility the big four (Okung, Bulaga, Williams, Davis) being of the board by the time we pick.

I think it could work out though, because while RT is a huge need, you almost hate to take a RIGHT tackle in the 1st rd and I think a guy like Calloway can be a very solid NFL RT and can come right and start.

With our two 1st rd picks we could end up getting a combination of C.J Spiller and Kyle Wilson or maybe Wilson and Earl Thomas which would be a dream or even Joe Haden and Taylor Mays. I wouldn't take Iupati at 13 or 17. Maybe if we traded down but not at 17.

Your thoughts?
If all the first round tackles are gone, I would like it if Rodger Saffold dropped to us in the second.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Well I thought for sure we would get either Trent Williams or Anthony Davis at 13 but now im not so confident anymore, so what do we do?

which means we could either reach on a Bruce Campbell at 13 or 17 or take the best two players available at 13 and 17 and take an OT in the 2nd rd. I am a big Jason Fox fan and he could be had in the 2nd rd but he a natural LT and while he certainly could play RT, I don't think it would be the best fit for him. Im not a big fan of Vladimir Duccasse who seems to be "sexy" "sleeper" offensive lineman for a lot of draft people but im not a fan. Im starting to look at Kyle Calloway (Iowa), Ciron Black (LSU) and Jared Veldheer (Hillside) as potential 2nd rd right tackle picks for the 49ers as I don't think it is a slam dunk anymore we will take an OT with one of our 1st rd picks with it looking like a real possibility the big four (Okung, Bulaga, Williams, Davis) being of the board by the time we pick.

I think it could work out though, because while RT is a huge need, you almost hate to take a RIGHT tackle in the 1st rd and I think a guy like Calloway can be a very solid NFL RT and can come right and start.

With our two 1st rd picks we could end up getting a combination of C.J Spiller and Kyle Wilson or maybe Wilson and Earl Thomas which would be a dream or even Joe Haden and Taylor Mays. I wouldn't take Iupati at 13 or 17. Maybe if we traded down but not at 17.

Your thoughts?

Give me any combination of Dez Bryant, Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas or Golden Tate in the 1st round. with Jared Veldheer (Hillside) in the 2nd and i'm happy.

my dream draft

Bryant
Graham
Jared Veldheer (Hillside)
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Marshall Newhouse
Originally posted by krizay:

Your thoughts?

Give me any combination of Dez Bryant, Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas or Golden Tate in the 1st round. with Jared Veldheer (Hillside) in the 2nd and i'm happy.

my dream draft

Bryant
Graham
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Marshall Newhouse

If we didn't have other pressing needs I would say take Dez Bryant if he is available but we have to many other needs plus jeez another Euguene Parker WR client plus now your talking a lot of egos with Crabtree, Vernon and Dez Bryant.
Actually, I like Charles Brown from USC. He's very quick, agile, adept at zone blocking, has LT ability...seems to be the kind of OT Solari's looking for. He'd be a slight reach at #17, but his stock has been rising. I get what you're saying, though. In some past drafts, OT's have flown off the board quickly, but you never know. Definitely agree taking Williams or any OT who's not LT material doesn't make sense in the 1st rd. What about Roger Saffold from Indiana...he's another potential. I like Calloway, too, he'd be a potentially good pick. BL: it's not the end of the world if we don't get an OT in the 1st rd.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Your thoughts?

my dream draft

Bryant
Graham
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Marshall Newhouse

If we didn't have other pressing needs I would say take Dez Bryant if he is available but we have to many other needs plus jeez another Euguene Parker WR client plus now your talking a lot of egos with Crabtree, Vernon and Dez Bryant.

WR is as big as need as S, CB,OLB whether you see it or not. Also your Parker concerns are for not! He already knows how we operate. IMO Parker would be a plus.
If both Williams and Davis were gone by 13 i have no problem taking Haden, Spiller,Wilson,Thomas at 13 and 17. Vladimir Ducasse or Rodger Saffold could be a great selection in the second round

Your thoughts?

I agree about a 2nd Round OT. I disagree about Iupati. Go BPA at #13. Pick Iupati at #17. Trade David Baas and our #49 to move up to top of 2nd Round and take best BPA, hopefully Scaffold at OT.
I think a good scenario is to trade down with the texans to #20 and pick Brown here.

The texans must leap the steelers if they wanna have Iuapati (who fits their style almost perfectly). The steelers really need an interior olineman, too and they are sitting at #18, so the niners at #17 should be in a good position.

The trade would be :

The Texans get #17 and the niners 4th rounder at #112
The Niners get #20 and the texans 3rd rounder at #81
[ Edited by stever on Mar 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM ]

Your thoughts?

my dream draft

Bryant
Graham
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Marshall Newhouse

WR is as big as need as S, CB,OLB whether you see it or not. Also your Parker concerns are for not! He already knows how we operate. IMO Parker would be a plus.
Hear we go - the crowd that would rather build other parts of the team before the OL is starting to make noise. This is the philosphy that dogged this team for the last few years. It has held it back, imparing the effectiveness of our QB, WRs and RBs.

I pray to God that Baalke and Singletary are smart enough to know that the entire offense is seriously undermined by even one weak member of the line. Clearly, it should be the No. 1 priority to fix this year. If they have to move up in the first round, move up.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If they think he can play RT take Iupati at 17.
There are so many good OT's that can be had in round 2. Last years draft in the second round produced

1. Ebon Britton,
2. Beatty
3. Phil Loadholt
4. Sebastian Vollmer.

I say take the talent at 13 and 17, if it is OT, then take OT by all means.

Worst case scenario, trade our 2nd and third to move up to take the kids from USC, at OT.
I'm beginning to think the same way that there will be a run on tackles in the top 12.

I think in the 2nd round you will have:
Vladimir Ducasse
Jason Fox
Jared Veldheer
Rodger Saffold

What about taking Iupati at #17 and switching him to RT? More and more scouts are saying he can play inside and outside.

We are in such bad need for a RT we are going to be in danger or reaching for one. Not too many teams draft a RT real high in the draft. I hope we don't reach especially if we can get a quality RT in the 2nd round.
I would love to find a way to add Spiller or Best, But I don't think all the 4 tackles will be taken by pick 13. and we need line help, Gotta grab one, I would actually be okey with trading our 17th pick to the texans (3 spots) and then grabbing Lupati as well, we would then have 2 more stud linemen to bust people in the face and let Gore do what he does! IF that were to happen I would hope we would find someone later in the draft that could return punts and Kickoffs (Jacoby Ford in 2nd-3rd maybe?)