There are 169 users in the forums

A point about Scotty

Seems that since McC is now getting some national attention, many around the league and scouts in general have very positive things to say about Scotty as a talent evaluator. He has raised the talent level on this team quite a bit. Ups and downs, of course, but he has had some good drafts. 2007 was excellent, while 2005 and 2008 were terrible. It is a mixed bag, but he does deserve more credit than he gets on this board.

jk.. but yea i agree he does get a lot of heat on the zone
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Seems that since McC is now getting some national attention, many around the league and scouts in general have very positive things to say about Scotty as a talent evaluator. He has raised the talent level on this team quite a bit. Ups and downs, of course, but he has had some good drafts. 2007 was excellent, while 2005 and 2008 were terrible. It is a mixed bag, but he does deserve more credit than he gets on this board.

I know its early but 2009 seems a little underwhelming aswell. And i find it hard to give him credit for the Crabtree pick. I mean that was an absolute no brainer.
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Mar 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM ]
Other than Crabtree falling to us at #10, and trading a 2nd and 4th for the #17 pick in this years draft, the '09 draft might go down as a bad one too.

He raised the talent level from overall garbage to overall mediocrity. He brought in some good players, but EVERY TEAM and EVERY GM does that. Even the Rams brought in some talent and will obviously get a little better as they continue to do so. He failed to fix the O-Line, failed to draft or sign a change-of-pace back to spell Frank Gore, failed to produce a quality QB, failed to bring in any good WRs besides Bruce (for one season) and Michael Crabtree (which was a no-brainer to me, kinda like when we drafted Willis), failed to get a CONSISTENT pass rusher and failed to bring in a lot of available talent that other teams swooped on for good prices. He is not aggressive and has stupid concepts about size (not wanting to draft anyone under 200lbs, WTF).

People have been wanting him gone for several seasons.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:

He raised the talent level from overall garbage to overall mediocrity. He brought in some good players, but EVERY TEAM and EVERY GM does that. Even the Rams brought in some talent and will obviously get a little better as they continue to do so. He failed to fix the O-Line, failed to draft or sign a change-of-pace back to spell Frank Gore, failed to produce a quality QB, failed to bring in any good WRs besides Bruce (for one season) and Michael Crabtree (which was a no-brainer to me, kinda like when we drafted Willis), failed to get a CONSISTENT pass rusher and failed to bring in a lot of available talent that other teams swooped on for good prices. He is not aggressive and has stupid concepts about size (not wanting to draft anyone under 200lbs, WTF).

Actually the Rams have managed to get worse, 2-14 then 2-14 and last year 1-15.

5 wins in 3 years?
You can change coaches, GM's, assistant coaches, positional coaches, players and staff over and over. But at some point the ownership can't hide anymore. They are responsible for us being terrible for a decade.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You can change coaches, GM's, assistant coaches, positional coaches, players and staff over and over. But at some point the ownership can't hide anymore. They are responsible for us being terrible for a decade.

Exactly.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

I know its early but 2009 seems a little underwhelming aswell. And i find it hard to give him credit for the Crabtree pick. I mean that was an absolute no brainer.

Then at least give him credit for allegedly having Oher next on the board, which might've been even a better pick than Crabtree.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Other than Crabtree falling to us at #10, and trading a 2nd and 4th for the #17 pick in this years draft, the '09 draft might go down as a bad one too.

That's the bulk of '09. He got another 1st round pick in a very very deep draft for a 2nd round pick, and possibly got the best player in the draft. How is that a bad draft? The jury is still out on Coffee, who will not make or break the draft anyways, and Nate Davis may actually turn into the future of this club. Worthwhile risk in the 5th regardless. The 2 LSU kids also have some potential to make an impact.

The Rams brought in NO ONE. Who? Chris Long? Scotty, on the other hand, built up a very good defense. Franklin, Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Spikes, Walt Harris and Clements are impact FAs that make up a strong core on our defense. Willis, Goldson, Haralson, Lawson, and McCdonald are the strong additions that were drafted recently.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Then at least give him credit for allegedly having Oher next on the board, which might've been even a better pick than Crabtree.

McCloughan and the staff actually said that?
Mclueless passed on Desean Jackson twice and Carl Nicks twice.
Originally posted by 49erjoe:
Mclueless passed on Desean Jackson twice and Carl Nicks twice.

So by your ridiculous logic, every GM in the NFL should be fired because they pretty much all passed on Jackson at least once and on Carl Nicks at least a couple of times.

Agree & nice post.
Share 49ersWebzone