LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 185 users in the forums

A point about Scotty

He did a nice job rebuilding the depth and backups on the team and built a nice foundation. His tenure did have a couple big shortcomings (in the results at least): did not fix the oline which was job one when he came on board and there is a lack of "it" factor on the team. Not enough game changers on offense, defense or special teams.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Seems that since McC is now getting some national attention, many around the league and scouts in general have very positive things to say about Scotty as a talent evaluator. He has raised the talent level on this team quite a bit. Ups and downs, of course, but he has had some good drafts. 2007 was excellent, while 2005 and 2008 were terrible. It is a mixed bag, but he does deserve more credit than he gets on this board.

He raised the talent level from overall garbage to overall mediocrity. He brought in some good players, but EVERY TEAM and EVERY GM does that. Even the Rams brought in some talent and will obviously get a little better as they continue to do so. He failed to fix the O-Line, failed to draft or sign a change-of-pace back to spell Frank Gore, failed to produce a quality QB, failed to bring in any good WRs besides Bruce (for one season) and Michael Crabtree (which was a no-brainer to me, kinda like when we drafted Willis), failed to get a CONSISTENT pass rusher and failed to bring in a lot of available talent that other teams swooped on for good prices. He is not aggressive and has stupid concepts about size (not wanting to draft anyone under 200lbs, WTF).

People have been wanting him gone for several seasons.

We don't have an overall mediocre talent level. We have a great defense (top 3 by advanced statistical measures http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef) and have accumulated lots of talent at the offensive skill positions.

We don't have an OT, OGs and QB/O-scheme is questionable. Those are problems with vision and philosophy. That is what this team has lacked.

By the way, Willis wasn't a no-brainer pick. Carriker had more support on these boards at the time. Oher was only a no-brainer behind Crabtree in retrospect. At the time he was considered similar to Bruce Cambpell, a raw hulk. Too many retro-geniuses on this board.
Originally posted by 49erjoe:
Mclueless passed on Desean Jackson twice and Carl Nicks twice.

The Eagles also passed on Jackson once, and instead drafted Trevor Laws with their first pick. Clearly he wasn't an elite prospect coming out
Seems that since McC is now getting some national attention, many around the league and scouts in general have very positive things to say about Scotty as a talent evaluator. He has raised the talent level on this team quite a bit. Ups and downs, of course, but he has had some good drafts. 2007 was excellent, while 2005 and 2008 were terrible. It is a mixed bag, but he does deserve more credit than he gets on this board.

What else can peoplle say he was a peice of s**t and drafted hella busts people alwayas say that bs

He raised the talent level from overall garbage to overall mediocrity. He brought in some good players, but EVERY TEAM and EVERY GM does that. Even the Rams brought in some talent and will obviously get a little better as they continue to do so. He failed to fix the O-Line, failed to draft or sign a change-of-pace back to spell Frank Gore, failed to produce a quality QB, failed to bring in any good WRs besides Bruce (for one season) and Michael Crabtree (which was a no-brainer to me, kinda like when we drafted Willis), failed to get a CONSISTENT pass rusher and failed to bring in a lot of available talent that other teams swooped on for good prices. He is not aggressive and has stupid concepts about size (not wanting to draft anyone under 200lbs, WTF).

Great post!

In five years of roster building, there are probably only two players on the roster that would cause me any anxiety were they lost to the team. I've been stumped for some time trying to figure out what people are referring to about his skills as a talent evaluator. He did a very poor job and I am just ecstatic about him finally being booted out!!

I didn't think that ownership had it in them to see the obvious. There is finally some hope. It's not over yet IMO. More changes are needed!
I give Mac credit for improving the roster by a lot from where he started...but, I also blame his stubbornness for not moving the roster farther along in terms of playmakers and insisting on "bigger is better" as his overall player mantra. I also believe he's done about as much as he can, given his player philosophy, so I agree it's time to empower Baalke (or whomever) to get the team to the next level from a player perspective.

Man scotty was horrible!

McCloughan was mediocre at best. Singletary gave him all the credit for picking up Willis but Willis was moving up draft boards fast as that draft approached, and to me was a no brainer pick at 11. That said you couldn’t say McCloughan was as terrible as, say a Terry Donahue or Matt Millen but he wasn't great either. It won't be difficult to replace him and improve.
Let's not forget that before McCloughan was hired we had probably the worst GM in modern NFL history in Terry Donahue. Therefore, anybody, including some people on this website could have done a better job. McCloughan wasn't good, he just was better than Donahue, which isn't saying much.
he has been haunted by the alex smith pick. excluding quarterback (which i admit is extremely important) this team is very talented. we have a top 10 defense and we have some offensive playmaker. we just need some speed in the secondary, a right tackle, a guard, and maybe a rush linebacker. compared to what he inherited this team waaaaaaaay better

Share 49ersWebzone