There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

People need to forget Spiller

I don't care if we draft him or not, I would rather not.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by ttime1:
I all but guarantee that Scott will NOT choose Spiller, even if available at 17, in the 1st round. For the same reason he will not draft Iupati in the 1st.

Scott makes selections in the draft based on his preconceived formula. He doesn't choose Guards until the 2nd at earliest. Scott also stays away from RB's in the 1st few rounds as well.

Scott will stick to his formula regardless of what makes sense. The 1st is for QB's, Dlinemen, OT's, CB's.

Picks like Vernon Davis were all Nolan, when he had final say. I don't believe Scott likes taking skill positions early, and only chose Crabtree lastyear because of his slide.

I am calling it, Scott will pass twice on Spiller.

You could be right, but I beg to differ. If he follows the pattern at GB then he will certainly recall that it was not the talent of Farve or the late great Reggie White that put them over the hump in the 90's. It was Desmond Howard who took them to the SB and won it and the MVP award.

Given all of the circumstances, Spiller is not only the pick with the most upside, and fills a need that STATISTICS AND GAME FILM demonstrates as this team's greatest need, but he is also the safest. I don't think that the question is if he will pick Spiller, it is however, will Spiller be there for him to pick?

LOL if you say so, however my and your interpritations of what made the Packers so dangerous that year differ greatly, and I lived about 30 minutes from the stadium at that point.

What exactly did Desmond do the next year? And what exactly did GB do when Desmond was all set to cash in?

Desmond did nothing ever again by comparison, and GB let him walk cause they knew it was more about the blocking ahead of him, than it was about Desmond's return skills.

Hmmmm. I remember Howard being the difference in a 49er loss to them during the play-offs. Did Green-bay win a subsequent Superbowl withgout Desmond being the MVP? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Howard became a free agent after the season and used his status to collect a hefty contract from the Oakland Raiders. He led the NFL in kickoff returns (61) and kickoff return yards (1,381); without the Packer's blocking.

I like to think We lost that game cause of Youngs broken ribs more than we did Howards returns, but I digress.

He NEVER hurt teams the way he did with the Packers, and that was because he had superior blocking with the Packers. Scott will know this.

EVEN if you put ALL of Howards accomplishments on him, I STILL would'nt even think of paying a 1st for him, especially when I could get someone with his abilities in later rounds.

Argue with me all you want. We will see who's right come draft day, when Scott passes on Spiller, and doing so twice if he is still there at 17. If not I'll eat crow for sure.

Dood, I am not arguing with you. You are arguing with facts. Weather you appreciate it or not, Howard is the only pr/kr to ever win super bowl honors.

Point is that it is easier to find someone later in the draft to fill the position of O, than it will be to find a payer with Spillers playmaking ability. If Spiller can bring #6 to the 49ers, da hell with everybody else in the draft.
I all but guarantee that Scott will NOT choose Spiller, even if available at 17, in the 1st round. For the same reason he will not draft Iupati in the 1st.

Scott makes selections in the draft based on his preconceived formula. He doesn't choose Guards until the 2nd at earliest. Scott also stays away from RB's in the 1st few rounds as well.

Scott will stick to his formula regardless of what makes sense. The 1st is for QB's, Dlinemen, OT's, CB's.

Picks like Vernon Davis were all Nolan, when he had final say. I don't believe Scott likes taking skill positions early, and only chose Crabtree lastyear because of his slide.

You could be right, but I beg to differ. If he follows the pattern at GB then he will certainly recall that it was not the talent of Farve or the late great Reggie White that put them over the hump in the 90's. It was Desmond Howard who took them to the SB and won it and the MVP award.

Given all of the circumstances, Spiller is not only the pick with the most upside, and fills a need that STATISTICS AND GAME FILM demonstrates as this team's greatest need, but he is also the safest. I don't think that the question is if he will pick Spiller, it is however, will Spiller be there for him to pick?

LOL if you say so, however my and your interpritations of what made the Packers so dangerous that year differ greatly, and I lived about 30 minutes from the stadium at that point.

What exactly did Desmond do the next year? And what exactly did GB do when Desmond was all set to cash in?

Desmond did nothing ever again by comparison, and GB let him walk cause they knew it was more about the blocking ahead of him, than it was about Desmond's return skills.

Hmmmm. I remember Howard being the difference in a 49er loss to them during the play-offs. Did Green-bay win a subsequent Superbowl withgout Desmond being the MVP? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Howard became a free agent after the season and used his status to collect a hefty contract from the Oakland Raiders. He led the NFL in kickoff returns (61) and kickoff return yards (1,381); without the Packer's blocking.

I like to think We lost that game cause of Youngs broken ribs more than we did Howards returns, but I digress.

He NEVER hurt teams the way he did with the Packers, and that was because he had superior blocking with the Packers. Scott will know this.

EVEN if you put ALL of Howards accomplishments on him, I STILL would'nt even think of paying a 1st for him, especially when I could get someone with his abilities in later rounds.

Argue with me all you want. We will see who's right come draft day, when Scott passes on Spiller, and doing so twice if he is still there at 17. If not I'll eat crow for sure.

Dood, I am not arguing with you. You are arguing with facts. Weather you appreciate it or not, Howard is the only pr/kr to ever win super bowl honors.

Point is that it is easier to find someone later in the draft to fill the position of O, than it will be to find a payer with Spillers playmaking ability. If Spiller can bring #6 to the 49ers, da hell with everybody else in the draft.

That quote is the purest of evidence to ridiculousness the Spiller mania on the webzone. Dude had a decent college career and people think he's gonna bring the Niners a superbowl all by himself........

There are going to be a lot of broken hearts come the day after. This place is gonna be a riot ready to explode.

That quote is the purest of evidence to ridiculousness the Spiller mania on the webzone. Dude had a decent college career and people think he's gonna bring the Niners a superbowl all by himself........

There are going to be a lot of broken hearts come the day after. This place is gonna be a riot ready to explode.

what's ridiculous is calling Spiller's college career decent. his collegiate career obviously will have no bearing on his performance in the NFL, but people going out of there way to put down his accomplishments to justify not drafting them appear to have an agenda. Not saying that, that is the case for you, but to say that finishing 2nd All-Time in NCAA All-Purpose yards equals a decent career is a vast understatement.
make me
doesnt look like scotty will be making the calls this draft
Would people be upset if we took Trent Williams at 13 and Mike Iupati at 17?
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

what's ridiculous is calling Spiller's college career decent. his collegiate career obviously will have no bearing on his performance in the NFL, but people going out of there way to put down his accomplishments to justify not drafting them appear to have an agenda. Not saying that, that is the case for you, but to say that finishing 2nd All-Time in NCAA All-Purpose yards equals a decent career is a vast understatement.

X2

Spillers college career was phenomenal, the man was a human highlight reel.

If the 49ers forget about Spiller they're forgetting about game changing touchdowns.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for Norwalks_Best.
Spiller = Over rated

RB not a need in the first! we need starters! Not back ups!
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

I wouldn't. Build that line to be the best. Win in the trenches.
I remember hearing someone say something along the lines that Spiller had scored 51 total touchdowns and half of them he had resulted in plays that were 50+ yards. I know Spiller is a "sexy" pick and that to have a good organization you don't draft "sexy" picks all the time, but I think this guy can improve a team in so many ways that he has to be heavily considered at #13 if he is available...

You obviously did not or do not want to get my point. You down play the imporatnce of a player having playmaking ability to the point where you ignore what others have done; even the accomplishments of a Superbowl MVP. Spiller has gamebreaking abilities that extends beyond Howard, as well as, help this team beyond anyone else who I have seen in this draft. Why? He improves a KR/PR team that ranks dead last; as well as an offense which too needs another player that opposing teams must account for. Now if there is someone who you think offers more, then make your case. I'm not convinced that spending 1st round picks on OL is the answer as Super Bowl teams are filled with those who were not 1st rd. picks. But to suggest that Spiller can not contribute seems to be limited thinking. There are no guarantees in the draft, but trying to out think the obvious often leads to regrets.
I will do no such thing.

Probably, like passing on DeSean Jackson TWICE.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

Nope.