There are 316 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Spiller an everydown back?

  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,053
Because if we're going to take this guy he has to not only return punts and kickoffs and spell Gore, but to eventually replace him as the starter. Is he an everydown back?
[ Edited by mayo63 on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM ]
i hope so
That's the big question. I don't see him as a full time back because he simply doesn't run as strong up the gut.

Gore may not have his speed but Frank can break runs up the middle or take them outside and that's what makes him a great back.
Hes Reggie Bush without as good of hands.
Originally posted by genus49:
That's the big question. I don't see him as a full time back because he simply doesn't run as strong up the gut.

Gore may not have his speed but Frank can break runs up the middle or take them outside and that's what makes him a great back.

well thats news to pretty much anyone who has actually watched him way, he ran between the tackles plenty in college.
Yes, he runs between the tackles just fine. He'll be better than Reggie Bush.
Originally posted by noobie:
Hes Reggie Bush without as good of hands.

He has shown in college that he has the ability to run inside, something Bush has struggled doing so far. Whether or not he can hold up as an every-down back is yet to be seen. He split carries with James Davis early, and last year showed he was capable of being the feature back. With a lot of teams going to a two back system, I feel that he doesn't really have to be an every down player. He does have the ability to catch out of the backfield, which really helps his case. I see him as more of a Felix Jones type of player.
Originally posted by noobie:
Hes Reggie Bush without as good of hands.

i'm really not trying to be Capatain-savea-Spiller here but again another person who must have not watched Spiller play.

over the shoulder in stride.

For those in the know, it isn't hype he really did do it all at clemson. rather he can do so in the NFL remains to be seen, but there's not much that he wasn't asked to do in college.
I don't think he is, but that's why he'd be perfect to split with Gore.
Who knows. What does it matter in today's football game? Not too many teams rely on just 1 back. Look at the Super Bowl champs, Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Mike Bell and Linus Hamilton or whatever his name is. Look at the Colts (addia & Brown) the Pats (Maroney, Taylor, Faulk) the Jets (Greene, Jones, Washington) I can go on and on.

If he's there when we pick, we need to take him. God forbid if Gore goes down.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
It seems people view drafting Spiller as some kind of insult to F.Gore. Farthest thing from it. Giving Frank rest, and not take all the pounding will keep his legs fresh for the play offs, and extend his career. He'll appreciate Spiller drawing def. attention out of the box, reducing the pressure on the OL, and opening running lanes.
Originally posted by cupcheck:
It seems people view drafting Spiller as some kind of insult to F.Gore. Farthest thing from it. Giving Frank rest, and not take all the pounding will keep his legs fresh for the play offs, and extend his career. He'll appreciate Spiller drawing def. attention out of the box, reducing the pressure on the OL, and opening running lanes.


Yeah I really don't get that either.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by noobie:
Hes Reggie Bush without as good of hands.

i'm really not trying to be Capatain-savea-Spiller here but again another person who must have not watched Spiller play.
over the shoulder in stride.

For those in the know, it isn't hype he really did do it all at clemson. rather he can do so in the NFL remains to be seen, but there's not much that he wasn't asked to do in college.

I didn't say he couldn't catch the ball. I said he's hands weren't as good as Bush. Bush has WR hands. I don't see spiller catching 80 balls like Bush did. I'm sure I can find YouTube clips of heyward-bay making those catches too.
[ Edited by noobie on Mar 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM ]
Originally posted by miked1978:
Who knows. What does it matter in today's football game? Not too many teams rely on just 1 back. Look at the Super Bowl champs, Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Mike Bell and Linus Hamilton or whatever his name is. Look at the Colts (addia & Brown) the Pats (Maroney, Taylor, Faulk) the Jets (Greene, Jones, Washington) I can go on and on.

If he's there when we pick, we need to take him. God forbid if Gore goes down.

all the teams you mention have top notch O lines we have a bottom 5 OL
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
It seems people view drafting Spiller as some kind of insult to F.Gore. Farthest thing from it. Giving Frank rest, and not take all the pounding will keep his legs fresh for the play offs, and extend his career. He'll appreciate Spiller drawing def. attention out of the box, reducing the pressure on the OL, and opening running lanes.


Yeah I really don't get that either.

Gore views it as an insult. Wasn't he pissed when we drafted Coffee? Gore wants all the runs he can get. Just the way he is.