LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 135 users in the forums

Is Spiller an everydown back?

Originally posted by cupcheck:
It seems people view drafting Spiller as some kind of insult to F.Gore. Farthest thing from it. Giving Frank rest, and not take all the pounding will keep his legs fresh for the play offs, and extend his career. He'll appreciate Spiller drawing def. attention out of the box, reducing the pressure on the OL, and opening running lanes.

Agree
Originally posted by noobie:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Hes Reggie Bush without as good of hands.

i'm really not trying to be Capatain-savea-Spiller here but again another person who must have not watched Spiller play.

over the shoulder in stride.

For those in the know, it isn't hype he really did do it all at clemson. rather he can do so in the NFL remains to be seen, but there's not much that he wasn't asked to do in college.

I didn't say he couldn't catch the ball. I said he's hands weren't as good as Bush. Bush has WR hands. I don't see spiller catching 80 balls like Bush did. I'm sure I can find YouTube clips of heyward-bay making those catches too.

heyward-bey? come on now your just getting crazy.

i'm really not trying to be Capatain-savea-Spiller here but again another person who must have not watched Spiller play.

For those in the know, it isn't hype he really did do it all at clemson. rather he can do so in the NFL remains to be seen, but there's not much that he wasn't asked to do in college.

I didn't say he couldn't catch the ball. I said he's hands weren't as good as Bush. Bush has WR hands. I don't see spiller catching 80 balls like Bush did. I'm sure I can find YouTube clips of heyward-bay making those catches too.

Not a lot of RBs out there catch 80 passes a year, so it really isn't fair to judge him on that. In fact, I think the last time the 49ers had someone catch over 80 passes was when Eric Johnson caught 82 a few years back. No RB will come near that number on the 49ers. We run a few HB screens, but rarely line up a RB in the slot.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

heyward-bey? come on now your just getting crazy.

No he is not an everydown back
Yes he can be an every down back. If any of the doubters watched him play they would know that. Its just when you have a great back liek Gore you dont need him to be unless Gore gets injured. I think he will end up replacing Gore in a year or 2 anyways. Well thats if we did pick him and not lose anything in our run game. The guy is that good and will surprise alot of people with his lower body strength in between the tackles. if we stick with a spread offense this guy will really push Gore for touches and catches also.
Originally posted by saniner:

He has shown in college that he has the ability to run inside, something Bush has struggled doing so far. Whether or not he can hold up as an every-down back is yet to be seen. He split carries with James Davis early, and last year showed he was capable of being the feature back. With a lot of teams going to a two back system, I feel that he doesn't really have to be an every down player. He does have the ability to catch out of the backfield, which really helps his case. I see him as more of a Felix Jones type of player.

Agree with this. I think it would give us a nice 3 back rotation.
What I don't I don't get is why people on this board want to draft a running back in the 1st round to SPLIT time with Gore. We have other major needs like OT, OG, FS, and CB. If we used our two 1st round pick on players to fill two of these positions OT, OG, FS or CB we would expect these two players to play full time.

Are we really better off drafting Spiller which RB is not a position of need than drafting for need. I know I know we should draft the best player available. We should draft the best player available within reason. No way in hell would we draft a player that plays Willis position I don't care if he was the best player available.

My last point is we drafted Coffee in the 3rd round last year to give Gore a break. Now most of the fans want to draft another running back in the 1st round.
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
What I don't I don't get is why people on this board want to draft a running back in the 1st round to SPLIT time with Gore. We have other major needs like OT, OG, FS, and CB. If we used our two 1st round pick on players to fill two of these positions OT, OG, FS or CB we would expect these two players to play full time.

Are we really better off drafting Spiller which RB is not a position of need than drafting for need. I know I know we should draft the best player available. We should draft the best player available within reason. No way in hell would we draft a player that plays Willis position I don't care if he was the best player available.

My last point is we drafted Coffee in the 3rd round last year to give Gore a break. Now most of the fans want to draft another running back in the 1st round.

Yes this pretty much sums up my feelings. If it wasn't for our needs at OT, OG, OLB and S he would be an excellent addition.

I thonk he will largely be a returner. High likelihood of injuries. It is a position you can fill in the 7tg round. And when Frank hangs them up, if Coffee is not the man we draft his replacement then. Running backs mainly don't need development time.

The zone will go on suicide watch if we don't take him! But I don't see him as a major advance for us this season, as against giving Gore and Coffee the ball and drafting a nippy little receiver to return.

Personal opinion.

Spiller won't have Drew Brees throwing the football.

• evil
  • Veteran
When answering the question "Is Spiller an everydown back?" you have to ask yourself, is this kid going to be able to withstand the punishment of carrying the ball 25+ times a game ? The answer to the original question lies within.
The better question is can Raye use Spiller as a many down back with Frank Gore?

Will Spiller line up in the backfield and motion to the slot? Last year we didn't run many plays with a slot receiver.

Raye does call draw plays, and swing passes. Spiller has the potential to take it to the house.

To his credit, Raye called more 2 TE sets. As a result, our efficiency on running outside the tackles was a strength even though Gore doesn't have elite speed to turn the corner. Spiller would build on this strength.

Raye has to be able to scheme for Spiller. If we run 40% between the tackles, our smash mouth formula, than Spiller will be a wasted pick. If we run a 1 TE spread offense, with Spiller lining up with Gore and than motioning out into the slot, than we can get production out of Spiller that justifies his pick.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Who knows. What does it matter in today's football game? Not too many teams rely on just 1 back. Look at the Super Bowl champs, Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Mike Bell and Linus Hamilton or whatever his name is. Look at the Colts (addia & Brown) the Pats (Maroney, Taylor, Faulk) the Jets (Greene, Jones, Washington) I can go on and on.

If he's there when we pick, we need to take him. God forbid if Gore goes down.

Man, if we pass on Spiller and Gore goes down for any significant time; while Spiller is kicking our ass with Seattle with PR, KR, catches and runs for TDs, it will be a bunch of stupid looking folks up here trying to justify their selection; as well as; a GM looking for a new job.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
It seems people view drafting Spiller as some kind of insult to F.Gore. Farthest thing from it. Giving Frank rest, and not take all the pounding will keep his legs fresh for the play offs, and extend his career. He'll appreciate Spiller drawing def. attention out of the box, reducing the pressure on the OL, and opening running lanes.

Yeah I really don't get that either.

Gore views it as an insult. Wasn't he pissed when we drafted Coffee? Gore wants all the runs he can get. Just the way he is.

if Chris Johnson is an every down back C.J. Spiller will be too. similar sized guys, i think johnson has like 4 lbs on spiller but hes been in the NFL a couple years. Spiller will probably put on some weight too and be just fine. C.J. goes through the tackles just fine so i dont see why he wouldnt be an every down back. him and gore in the backfield would be devastating to defenses.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:

As of the Houston game last season , we switched to a spreed offense, if you hadn't noticed. Out side speed is the missing ingredient to developing this style of back field, plus reducing defenses propensity to load the box. The average returns by a team per game is 12. Field position killed the offense more often than not late yr. The kid had more 50+ yd. td's than anyone. A.Smith ,F.Gore,V.Davis, and the OL would all benefit by adding Spiller.
[ Edited by cupcheck on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone