There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

DraftCountdown.com: 03/15/2010 Mock Draft

• willworkforbecky
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Why the hell would we take a CB when we have basically two starters at CB and a good #3 option in Brown - especially over an OT?

The logic in this mock is odd, and further pushes the fact that Scott Wright is an amateur in his analysis.

agreed.

we arent in th luxury of drafting 1st rounders to just be bench warmers....even if we "do" draft Haden...he wont start ahead of Nate, Shaunte, and TBrown.

We need to win now and we have other needs like the OL.....

Listen, I love my Niners just as much as everyone on this board. But if you can't admit that our No Bowl secandary needs help then your a Homer. Nate has been getting burned since he got here. I love his passion, I only wish his pass coverage matched his intensity. Spencer is a # 2 and a good one. Brown right now is just ok, no more no less. I watched a couple tapes(youtube) of Haden and the glaring differance between his highlight pick and the other cb is he is always around the ball. He does'nt have a bunch of clips of bad throws from QB's to wide open defenders. He makes plays on the ball. I would encourage anyone to watch the tapes(youtube) of the top cb in the draft and you'll see what I mean.
Why the hell would we take a CB when we have basically two starters at CB and a good #3 option in Brown - especially over an OT?

The logic in this mock is odd, and further pushes the fact that Scott Wright is an amateur in his analysis.

what ot should he have picked there, campbell?
i get so tired of all these people putting so much stock in the 40.... Heyward-Bey ran a great 40 and look how well that worked out. Haden will be a stud at the nfl level
Starting G, Starting nickel CB (who will eventually be a starter) and PR/KR/RB for a change of pace. Sounds good. But If R.Safford or M.Burnett are available in the 2nd then I'd rather go with them
The more I read and listen, the more worried I am that the top OTs will be gone by 13. Knowing McC, he will not draft an OT at 13 or 17 because he will say that the OTs still on the board did not have the value for these slots. Like last year, the draft will come and go and we will not have drafted a good OT.

McC's failure to bring in a quality RT FA this year will result in what we have seen year after year after year with him. He can't put together a solid team with no glaring holes because of his anal fixation with "value" and not "overpaying." He fails to understand the fundamental notion about OLs: it is only as strong as its weakest link. You can have four Pro-bowlers, but if you have one s**tty offensive lineman, the defense will send the Normandy Invasion through him.
Looks pretty good to me. I especially like the Best pick; a poor-man's C. J. Spiller (if he can stay healthy). Haden's time was slow but according to the film he's great. Walsh never paid much attention to Combine numbers. If he had, Jerry Rice would have been a Cowboy. Think about that one for a minute.

The one thing I worry about is Iupati's pass protection at RT. I think he'll get it down eventually but he may have some rough games in the beginning. He'll be a beast in the running game.

Overall, I wouldn't be disappointed.
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Looks pretty good to me. I especially like the Best pick; a poor-man's C. J. Spiller (if he can stay healthy). Haden's time was slow but according to the film he's great. Walsh never paid much attention to Combine numbers. If he had, Jerry Rice would have been a Cowboy. Think about that one for a minute.

The one thing I worry about is Iupati's pass protection at RT. I think he'll get it down eventually but he may have some rough games in the beginning. He'll be a beast in the running game.

Overall, I wouldn't be disappointed.

If the 49ers drafted Iupati, I suspect he would play LG. Baas can compete with Rachal for the RG spot. We don't want two rookies on the right side of the line.
Originally posted by willworkforbecky:

agreed.

we arent in th luxury of drafting 1st rounders to just be bench warmers....even if we "do" draft Haden...he wont start ahead of Nate, Shaunte, and TBrown.

Listen, I love my Niners just as much as everyone on this board. But if you can't admit that our No Bowl secandary needs help then your a Homer. Nate has been getting burned since he got here. I love his passion, I only wish his pass coverage matched his intensity. Spencer is a # 2 and a good one. Brown right now is just ok, no more no less. I watched a couple tapes(youtube) of Haden and the glaring differance between his highlight pick and the other cb is he is always around the ball. He does'nt have a bunch of clips of bad throws from QB's to wide open defenders. He makes plays on the ball. I would encourage anyone to watch the tapes(youtube) of the top cb in the draft and you'll see what I mean.

At least they are servicable....we have a constant revolving door at RT...and we need to upgrade over Baas, who is far worse than anyone in our secondary...still Hayden will not get the imediate satart over Nate and Shaute, dont be fooled to think that....our 2 1st rounders need to be starters....IMO we get 2 OL (Williams and the cat from Idaho) we will be imediate contenders.
Eh
Originally posted by willworkforbecky:

agreed.

At least they are servicable....we have a constant revolving door at RT...and we need to upgrade over Baas, who is far worse than anyone in our secondary...still Hayden will not get the imediate satart over Nate and Shaute, dont be fooled to think that....our 2 1st rounders need to be starters....IMO we get 2 OL (Williams and the cat from Idaho) we will be imediate contenders.

Mike Iupati isn't even that good!!! You all act like he'll walk into the NFL dominating nfl dlineman, and the guy didn't even dominate top talent in college. He beat up on guys who were like division 2 players. I'm not saying he sucks, he has some talent, but he seems to have a bit of a problem with holding and he's not the great Larry Allen type dominating force you all make him out to be.

Especially if we sign Chester Pitts, we have no reason to reach on a guard in round 1. Baas can be replaced without using one of our 1st rounders. He didn't even play too horribly towards the end of the season. We NEED a corner who can cover. I'm not saying Joe Haden is the guy we need, I like Kyle Wilson a lot better, but teams who have players that can cover win in this league. If we had a CB like Kyle Wilson, who is pretty damn fast and pretty strong and has really good technique, we could just put him on those damn small WRs like DeSean Jackson who always kill us, and we can put him on the guys who play the slot a lot like Housh also since he's strong.
I like the Haden pick. Anytime you can select the best corner in the draft you should do it. It's probably the third most important position in the game behind QB and LT. All this talk about not needing help in the secondary is ridiculous. We did not have a shut down secondary last year. And adding Haden allows us to perhaps convert Clements to FS, which I think could be a better position for him going forward.
I wouldn't mind this draft at all.
Originally posted by midrdan:
I like the Haden pick. Anytime you can select the best corner in the draft you should do it. It's probably the third most important position in the game behind QB and LT. All this talk about not needing help in the secondary is ridiculous. We did not have a shut down secondary last year. And adding Haden allows us to perhaps convert Clements to FS, which I think could be a better position for him going forward.

He is the best cornerback in a weak year for corners and I think Kyle Wilson may be just as good and maybe a better pro than Haden. Remember the pass rush Haden had in front of him at Florida and Haden never really looked like a lock down corner at Florida. He made a lot of plays yes and is terrific vs the run and has a swagger to him, but I watched Florida play a lot and he always seemed to allow a few receptions his way and some games a lot of receptions his way. Wilson, while yes playing against lesser competition, looked like a true shutdown corner and he is great coming of the blitz for a CB and he also has a swagger to him as well is considered a team leader and a great team player. I'd rather take Kyle Wilson at 17 than take Haden at 13. If both were available at 17, hmmm, probably have to take Haden
Not a big Joe Haden fan from what I have seen. I'm not buying the tense back excuse that his daddy gave, and even still, Haden's footwork and balance are not elite.

I'm okay with the Mike Iupati pick, though I think he is also being overrated and has been for a while. He could very well be the best option at that point, but I seriously doubt it.

LOVE the Jahvid Best pick, but am not optimistic that he would fall that far.

So I'd give the whole thing a B/B- grade, but what the hell is the plan for our RT situation?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Scott Wright's Latest Mock

#13- CB Joe Haden- Florida
#17- OG Mike Iupati- Idaho
#49- RB Jahvid Best- California

No Joe Haden. He runs around 4.6. How will he match up against guys like Calvin Johnson?

No, he ran a 4.6...injured.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home