There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Earl Thomas at #17 Bandwagon

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
A bandwagon of one.

Two!


3

4

I think all this talk about finding a strong safety to replace Lewis is silly. Lewis is great against the run, but he's one of the biggest reasons we have deep coverage issues. I don't want to just replace him another guy who plays the same. This is a pass oriented league now, and we need to be better at defending the long ball.

Drafting Thomas and moving Goldson to strong safety is the best way we can improve our secondary. Clements, Spencer, Goldson, and Thomas as our secondary would be awesome.
can he tackle?
MY dream draft is at 13 Williams and at 17 Earl thomas. We need speed and this guy brings it.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
A bandwagon of one.

Two!


3

4

I think all this talk about finding a strong safety to replace Lewis is silly. Lewis is great against the run, but he's one of the biggest reasons we have deep coverage issues. I don't want to just replace him another guy who plays the same. This is a pass oriented league now, and we need to be better at defending the long ball.

Drafting Thomas and moving Goldson to strong safety is the best way we can improve our secondary. Clements, Spencer, Goldson, and Thomas as our secondary would be awesome.

5
Originally posted by Allx9er:
can he tackle?

Yeah... I'd like to know that as well.

is he more of a "linebacker" type safety
or is he more of a "cornerback" type of Safety
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
can he tackle?

Yeah... I'd like to know that as well.

is he more of a "linebacker" type safety
or is he more of a "cornerback" type of Safety

corner type safety. Think Antoine Bethea from the Colts or Ed Reed of BMore.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
If we got Mike Iupati at #13.. and give up a 2nd rounder for OT Gaither of Baltimore(they say they'll take a 2nd. for him instead of a 1st, albeit a high 2nd)...THEN HELL YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is two flaws to your thinking... Iupati at 13 is reaching and two, earl won't last till 17 according to current indications. You'd have to take Earl at 13. It would be better to take Iupati at 17, not much of a reach at that spot. If they do that then get Gaither with the 2nd that would be okay with me.

But then Baltimore might wait till draft day to entertain offers for two reasons- to see what is the best offer they can get and see if they can get someone they want. If that is the case, niners might lose out on some of the better tackles.
i like the pick, but i would rather pick up reshad jones in the 3rd.
Originally posted by thuglife619:
MY dream draft is at 13 Williams and at 17 Earl thomas. We need speed and this guy brings it.

hell yeah.
  • 49erFanOrlandoFl
  • Info N/A
I believe the best free Safety besides Berry will be Morgan Burnett I think Thomas maybe better suited as a CB in the NFL I am not just talking height. Thomas probably may become a better CB than Haden

[ Edited by 49erFanOrlandoFl on Apr 1, 2010 at 23:25:09 ]
Thomas is a good player...but S isn't as big of a need as some seem to think. Singletary's pretty high on both Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor. Both Matts are saying it wouldn't surprise them if Coach doesn't take a S at all. Be that as it may, I'd rather invest the #17 pick in either Iupati or Pouncey after getting best OT avail at #13. That OL investment will pay off big-time for years...and if Coach/Baalke do take a S, I see that happening in 4th rd or so, maybe Rolle or Robert Johnson. Given (a true) CB is a more critical position, I can see one taken fairly early...because this may be Nate's last season with us, given his cap figures are astronomical beginning 2011 season.
Can someone tell me the difference between drafting a Cornerback, haden vs taking a cover safety Thomas? i think i would be more willing to take haden and then get a FS or SS in the second or third, Like Nate Allen, Reshad Jones, or Chad Jones I think that might get better value.
Mike Mayok is one of the most well-respected draft analysts in the Zone. He says Earl Thomas is the best safety coming out of college in the decade, including Eric Berry, Sean Taylor, LaRon Landry, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and Michael Huff. I know tackle is definitely our biggest need and corner is up there too, but if Thomas is there at 13 or 17 shouldn't we take a serious look at him. Safeties are getting more and more important in the NFL and guys like Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and Bob Sanders are game changers for their teams.

[ Edited by Draftology on Apr 4, 2010 at 15:24:11 ]
Texas HC Mack Brown said also that if Earl Thomas had decided to stay in school for his Senior year, he might have moved Thomas to CB! So there could be added value there as well in certain packages. I'd gladly take Earl Thomas at #13!



Then, we can FINALLY get rid of Mark Roman!!!

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 4, 2010 at 15:39:32 ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
Texas HC Mack Brown said also that if Earl Thomas had decided to stay in school for his Senior year, he might have moved Thomas to CB! So there could be added value there as well in certain packages. I'd gladly take Earl Thomas at #13!


same but not at the cost of an OT