There are 162 users in the forums

Earl Thomas at #17 Bandwagon

Originally posted by Draftology:
Mike Mayok is one of the most well-respected draft analysts in the Zone. He says Earl Thomas is the best safety coming out of college in the decade, including Eric Berry, Sean Taylor, LaRon Landry, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and Michael Huff. I know tackle is definitely our biggest need and corner is up there too, but if Thomas is there at 13 or 17 shouldn't we take a serious look at him. Safeties are getting more and more important in the NFL and guys like Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and Bob Sanders are game changers for their teams.

Well, I believe that Thomas is the best FREE Safety coming out in the past 10 years (including Berry), but I don't know about safety. Thomas can's play in the box very well, but he won't have to very often at FS.
If we can find a way to get Haden and Thomas I would be all for it. I dont think any of the top 3 tackles will be there when we pick. And I think Anthony Davis is a bust waiting to happen. A RT can be found in rd2.
Yes taking him at 13 would be a good idea if he was there, then take Charles Brown with 17 or Saffold/Calloway in the 2nd.
As long as we land a OT in the first 3 picks I wouldnt mind having him as long as he for sure starts but Im not sure he will start immediately.
First of all who knows where Thomas goes. Second while I like Mayock much better than the dumbass Kiper. Neither of them can tell the future.

Thomas certainly brings excellent coverage ability but I wouldn't put him above those other guys.
Originally posted by genus49:
First of all who knows where Thomas goes. Second while I like Mayock much better than the dumbass Kiper. Neither of them can tell the future.

Thomas certainly brings excellent coverage ability but I wouldn't put him above those other guys.

i agree his coverage skills are amazing (about same as berrry) but his lack of size is conserning. There is no way i put him ahead of any of those guys but with that being said i would love him on our team
Than you join this!!!!!!

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=139097
Originally posted by calbear:
If we can find a way to get Haden and Thomas I would be all for it. I dont think any of the top 3 tackles will be there when we pick. And I think Anthony Davis is a bust waiting to happen. A RT can be found in rd2.

I agree heres a few.....

*I for one don't think we NEED to draft a Tackle in the first round but we do have to address the offensive line. Were not looking for someone to protect the blind side unless Staley goes down. We need someone to anchor the right side, and flip over to the left in the event of a Staley injury, but I don't believe we should necessarily use one of our first round picks. Especially if Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams, and Davis are gone although I'm not completely sold on Davis or Cambell.

* Guard Mike Iupati, and I would prefer to trade back into the low to mid 20's to select him if I could. I just feel that 17 is a little to high for a guard, especially if there is a player that slides and someone wants to trade up for them. Hes the best guard in the draft and if he could become a Steve Hutchinson calibur player he's worth taking a chance on at 17 and maybe even 13, although that is high for a guard and I believe that there should be better prospects available at 13.

I think there will be some value at RT available with our 49th pick. The RT's id be happy drafting in the 2nd - 4th round would be.....(No particular order)

*Potential RT Solutions*Height Weight 40 Dash
Rodger Saffold Indiana 6-4⅝ 316 5.20
Vladimir Ducasse Massachusetts 6-4⅜ 332 5.27
Charles Brown Southern Cal 6-5⅜ 303 5.20
Sam Young Notre Dame 6-7½ 314 5.33
Selvish Capers West Virginia 6-4⅝ 308 5.14
Ciron Black LSU 6-4 327 5.42
Lee Ziemba Auburn 6-7¼ 306
Trinton Sturdivant Georgia 6-5⅜ 308

Young and Black are my favorites from the group mentioned above because they've anchored the blind side and started for their respective teams the last 3 years and have been healthy and consistent. Not only that they are capable of being moved inside to Guard and that added flexibility adds value and depth to our team.

Combine that with a slimmed down Boone (whom I hope will wow us this year btw but trying not to get hopes up) and it looks like we've got some young and healthy competition on our line. All Im saying is we don't HAVE to draft OT in the first round, but if the BPA is an OT and we cant trade back pull the trigger! We have options.

*Potential Guards that could contribute in 2010*
Besides Guard Mike Iupati, here are a couple solutions to our guard that could be had outside of the first round. We can definately land one of these guys in rounds 2-4 and if we need a guard dont forget to consider Ciron Black and some of the other OT's that can be converted to Guards.
*John Jerry, Ole Miss Height: 6-5. Weight: 335.
*Mitch Petrus, Arkansas Height: 6-3. Weight: 307
*Jon Asamoah, Illinois Height: 6-4. Weight: 305

[/b]*Cornerbacks to consider day 1*
Joe Haden, Florida - Height: 5-11. Weight: 189. Pro Day 40 Time: 4.43.
Kyle Wilson, Boise State - Height: 5-10. Weight: 185 Pro Day 40 Time: 4.43.
Devin McCourty, Rutgers - Height: 5-11. Weight: 193. Combine 40 Time: 4.34.
Kareem Jackson, Alabama - Height: 5-10. Weight: 196. Combine 40 Time: 4.41.
Chris Cook, CB/FS, Virginia - Height: 6-2. Weight: 212. Combine 40 Time: 4.43
atrick Robinson, Florida State - Height: 5-11. Weight: 190. 40 Time: 4.38.
Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest - Height: 6-0. Weight: 191. Combine 40 Time: 4.37.
kwasi Owusu-Ansah, Indiana of Penn. Height: 6-1. Weight: 207. 40 Time: 4.31.

We need to add depth and start grooming someone to take over for Clements. I hope we consider moving Clements to strong safety. Itd be nice having a safety that would be strong enough to match up with a tight end, and fast enough for a back or receiver and add an extra presence to our defensive back field. Keep an eye on kwasi Owusu-Ansah, hes my sleeper for the year.
[b]*Safeties to keep an eye on*

Eric Berry, S, Tennessee - Height: 6-0. Weight: 211. Combine 40 Time: 4.40.
Earl Thomas, FS, Texas - Height: 5-10. Weight: 208. Pro Day 40 Time: 4.35
Taylor Mays, SS, USC - Height: 6-3. Weight: 230. Combine 40 Time: 4.30.
Nate Allen, FS, South Florida - Height: 6-0. Weight: 207. Combine 40 Time: 4.51
Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech - Height: 6-1. Weight: 209. 40 Time: 4.42.
Chad Jones, S, LSU - Height: 6-2. Weight: 225. Pro Day 40 Time: 4.57.
Major Wright, FS, Florida - Height: 6-0. Weight: 204. Combine 40 Time: 4.49.
Hmmm...back to Earl Thomas. He seems like a true playmaker, and the way the 49ers use their safeties they're kind of interchangeable, so he ought to work well with Dashon Goldson. I'd like a tackle, but if the good ones are all gone then it's BPA, more or less. Could also be Haden or Wilson at CB at 13 or 17, or Stiller, or...

Mayock is a player, and he knows his sh*t. I'd be happy with Thomas, but also with any of several different guys. It'll be interesting to see who the 49ers draft, and I'll bet whoever it is it'll improve the team.
Originally posted by al49erfan:
Can someone tell me the difference between drafting a Cornerback, haden vs taking a cover safety Thomas? i think i would be more willing to take haden and then get a FS or SS in the second or third, Like Nate Allen, Reshad Jones, or Chad Jones I think that might get better value.

I feel like a cover safety is more of a pressing need and we need somebody that can track the ball down when people throw deep. I also feel like our corner play and depth is better than at safety.

If we are able to address OT first then I'm on board.
I see Thomas starting out as CB. I think this might be the best spot for him early.
Dashon Goldson even says if we draft Earl Thomas, he would move over to SS. He gives us good value. We could use him as a Safety and CB (depending on the situation).

Originally posted by PTulini:
Dashon Goldson even says if we draft Earl Thomas, he would move over to SS. He gives us good value. We could use him as a Safety and CB (depending on the situation).

What? Where did he say that? Goldson is gunning for a big contract, which is why he hired Rosenhaus, and I believe that FS make more than SS, so I don't think he would publicly say anything like that.
Originally posted by Niners23:
Originally posted by PTulini:

What? Where did he say that? Goldson is gunning for a big contract, which is why he hired Rosenhaus, and I believe that FS make more than SS, so I don't think he would publicly say anything like that.

he did on twitter and way he plays he is better suited for SS anyway (not that he is a bad FS he would make a better SS)
Share 49ersWebzone