LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 194 users in the forums

Earl Thomas at #17 Bandwagon

Texas safety Earl Thomas (5-10 5/8, 202) impressed several NFL scouts at the combine last month when he turned in a 4.48 40-yard-dash.

At his pro day on Wednesday, Thomas stepped it up again as the 20-year-old clocked a blazing 4.37 in the 40, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com.
Report: Thomas runs 4.37 at Texas Pro Day
I'd rather go with Taylor Mays. F the critics, the guy is a beast.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I'm all for getting Thomas... the Niners had one of the worst 2ndaries in the league, yet people want to draft a RB in the first round.

Yep -- we're weak over the top; Thomas can't play the run very well, but he's amazing over the top.

His supposed inability to play the run stems from one game against Alabama, one of the best rushing teams in the country. I've followed his whole career and no one mentioned this until after that game, likely because that was the one game they saw him play. Muschamp's defense is built for the big12, meaning to stop the pass by putting pressure on the QB and forcing bad throws, which is exactly what they do and Thomas excelled making plays this way. He wasn't asked to play the run because Texas front 7 was so dominant, he didn't have to. There's no reason to believe he can't be coached to play the run at the next level asd he has average size for his position and will likely add a few pounds of muscle of the next year or two.

Thomas is only 20 and still learning. He'll grow at least another 10-15 pounds by the time he is 22. He'll also learn to wrap up better. If we got him ant put him FS then DG can move SS since HE likes ring peoples bell.

Howeve he will be gone by 17, I see Titans ready to pounce on him at 16.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I'd rather go with Taylor Mays. F the critics, the guy is a beast.

At what? Hitting little college WRs? Mays isn't nearly the ball hawk Thomas is. Mays is a SS, Thomas is a FS, /the end.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Mar 31, 2010 at 17:05:21 ]
If we got Mike Iupati at #13.. and give up a 2nd rounder for OT Gaither of Baltimore(they say they'll take a 2nd. for him instead of a 1st, albeit a high 2nd)...THEN HELL YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Some think he may be gone by 13 so at 17 he will probably be the BPA. How mad would the zoners be if we went with Haden at 13 and Thomas at 17? Our Defense would be sick, but we might have to endure another year of not being able to run the ball and/or Alex being harassed often if we don't get lucky with our later picks.

That's how I mocked things falling out. It comes down to Haden or Spiller at 13, and we take Haden. RT is definitely priority #1, but the top 4 OTs will be gone by then.

We can get a good RT in the second round that can play as a rookie.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=139115

I agree that our D would be unstoppable.

I hear Baltimore will take a 2nd. for their RFA Gaither. He'd be better than any of the 2nd. round tackles left

Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Some think he may be gone by 13 so at 17 he will probably be the BPA. How mad would the zoners be if we went with Haden at 13 and Thomas at 17? Our Defense would be sick, but we might have to endure another year of not being able to run the ball and/or Alex being harassed often if we don't get lucky with our later picks.

That's how I mocked things falling out. It comes down to Haden or Spiller at 13, and we take Haden. RT is definitely priority #1, but the top 4 OTs will be gone by then.

I hear Baltimore will take a 2nd. for their RFA Gaither. He'd be better than any of the 2nd. round tackles left

A second for Gaither? Are you being sarcastic, or did you really hear that somewhere? I would give a 2nd for Gaither any day. Then we can easily use our 1st round picks on skill positions, or even a guard...
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

A second for Gaither? Are you being sarcastic, or did you really hear that somewhere? I would give a 2nd for Gaither any day. Then we can easily use our 1st round picks on skill positions, or even a guard...

No.. not being funny heard it on Colin Cowlherds show Monday, and Schefter said it too. I will try and find da quotes, but honestly I heard this(and my reaction was da same as yours)..
A bandwagon of one.
Given my man love of Berry, a 4.35 is quite an eye opener. I'm okay with either now.

Originally posted by MickerMack8:
Texas safety Earl Thomas (5-10 5/8, 202) impressed several NFL scouts at the combine last month when he turned in a 4.48 40-yard-dash.

At his pro day on Wednesday, Thomas stepped it up again as the 20-year-old clocked a blazing 4.37 in the 40, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com.
Report: Thomas runs 4.37 at Texas Pro Day

Mayock had him running a 4.39. I know when it comes to hand timed 40's they can widely vary, but these two are very close, showing he really is that fast...
As long as we get a RT at 13, I would love to grab Thomas. Gotta keep restocking this D to keep it great.
i'm definitely not against it
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
A bandwagon of one.

Two!

Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
A bandwagon of one.

Two!

Share 49ersWebzone