LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Earl Thomas at #17 Bandwagon

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Some think he may be gone by 13 so at 17 he will probably be the BPA. How mad would the zoners be if we went with Haden at 13 and Thomas at 17? Our Defense would be sick, but we might have to endure another year of not being able to run the ball and/or Alex being harassed often if we don't get lucky with our later picks.

That's how I mocked things falling out. It comes down to Haden or Spiller at 13, and we take Haden. RT is definitely priority #1, but the top 4 OTs will be gone by then.

We can get a good RT in the second round that can play as a rookie.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=139115

I agree that our D would be unstoppable.

I like this idea. I think people forget we are drafting for a RT not a LT...there's plenty of 2nd round talent if it comes down to it. And drafting Iupati at 17 is too much of a reach.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Some think he may be gone by 13 so at 17 he will probably be the BPA. How mad would the zoners be if we went with Haden at 13 and Thomas at 17? Our Defense would be sick, but we might have to endure another year of not being able to run the ball and/or Alex being harassed often if we don't get lucky with our later picks.

That's how I mocked things falling out. It comes down to Haden or Spiller at 13, and we take Haden. RT is definitely priority #1, but the top 4 OTs will be gone by then.

I like this idea. I think people forget we are drafting for a RT not a LT...there's plenty of 2nd round talent if it comes down to it. And drafting Iupati at 17 is too much of a reach.

What about taking Haden and Thomas, THEN trading up from #49 to take Iupati at around #25? It would cost us a third-rounder.

What about taking Haden and Thomas, THEN trading up from #49 to take Iupati at around #25? It would cost us a third-rounder.

That would be Christmas in April if that were to happen!
Please draft him lol. I really do think this guy can be a difference maker in our D.
Originally posted by GoreForMore:
i wouldnt hate that pick but i would prefer Reshad Jones in the second.

I wish he would have run the 40 because we need speed back there. I think Goldson did an admiral job however in my mind he's a better fit at SS.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

And whod play RT? A 4th round draft pick? Ill be disappointed if we dont RT with our first pick if not then our second 1st round pick
I'm all for getting Thomas... the Niners had one of the worst 2ndaries in the league, yet people want to draft a RB in the first round.
Originally posted by ImaMod:

And whod play RT? A 4th round draft pick? Ill be disappointed if we dont RT with our first pick if not then our second 1st round pick

I'm betting we will pick up a tackle in the 1st but we'd have a hell of a draft if we got the next Steve Hutchinson (hopefully) plus 2 top tier defensive players in this draft. Plus Iupati could hopefully slide to RT.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I'm all for getting Thomas... the Niners had one of the worst 2ndaries in the league, yet people want to draft a RB in the first round.

Yep -- we're weak over the top; Thomas can't play the run very well, but he's amazing over the top.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Yep -- we're weak over the top; Thomas can't play the run very well, but he's amazing over the top.

His supposed inability to play the run stems from one game against Alabama, one of the best rushing teams in the country. I've followed his whole career and no one mentioned this until after that game, likely because that was the one game they saw him play. Muschamp's defense is built for the big12, meaning to stop the pass by putting pressure on the QB and forcing bad throws, which is exactly what they do and Thomas excelled making plays this way. He wasn't asked to play the run because Texas front 7 was so dominant, he didn't have to. There's no reason to believe he can't be coached to play the run at the next level asd he has average size for his position and will likely add a few pounds of muscle of the next year or two.

I'm fine with SF drafting a 1st round OT as our 2010 RT. I would want that OT to have SOME chance or potential to play LT at some point if need be though. If he is absolutely slapped with the "only a RT" label... well then, just wait till a little later.
Also a big fan of Earl Thomas at #17... he is one of a few targets that I'd be plenty happy with for that spot.
better knock the wheels off this wagon before it gets going.
I know Eric Berry gets compared to Ed Reed but I think Thomas is really comparable to Polamalu. I love this write-up by a Steelers scout.

3-1 – Earl Thomas, FS, Texas: Here’s a guy I was willing to ignore because of A.) the depth of the position in the draft, B.) his poor showing against the Alabama run game, and, C.) the fact the Steelers signed two safeties in free agency and already have Troy Polamalu at the position. Then I learned yesterday that the Steelers had scheduled Thomas for a visit on April 8-9. When I searched his numbers for my story, I read an intelligent write-up in which the analyst compared Thomas to Polamalu. Not that I take such media remarks seriously, but when I turned the tape on to re-watch Thomas in the national championship game, the comparison rang true. Sure, Thomas was run over a couple of times by the Alabama RBs. But as I watched him closely, I saw the quick-twitch Polamalu speed as Thomas came up hard to upend Alabama backs on a handful of occasions with shoulder-first dives at their feet. I also watched Thomas stop three breakaway Alabama plays down the sideline with a burst of speed from the middle of the field. I also watched Alabama – seemingly on purpose – avoid throwing at all to anyone covered by Thomas. The three or four deep Alabama passes were all thrown with the other Texas safety over the top. Nick Saban was not about to let Thomas beat him, because, as a redshirt sophomore, Thomas had intercepted a school-record eight passes, 10 in his two-year career. In the title game, he was used as a chess piece in the Polamalu mold: He blitzed, covered slot receivers, played deep center field, played in the box, and on special teams he was used as a jammer and later came off the edge and almost blocked a punt. He’ll play this coming season as a 21-year-old and is nearly the exact size (5-10.2, 208) as Polamalu (5-10.1, 206) when Polamalu came out. Polamalu ran a 4.40 40 at his combine and dipped into the 4.3s at his Pro Day. Thomas ran a 4.48 at the combine and will likely run faster at his Pro Day (March 31). Thomas might also be able to play cornerback, and could in the least replace Deshea Townsend as the Steelers’ nickel back and third safety.

http://pit.scout.com/2/954447.html
[ Edited by MrFantastic on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:10 AM ]
I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers took Thomas or Haden or Wilson at 17. I'd imagine all three are listed as first-rounders on their board. Haden may be the smoothest with the best cover skills, Thomas is the playmaker with 8 int's, 2 for td's, and Wilson is not only a good corner but is a good returner as well.

It'll be interesting to see how Baalke chooses to go...we obviously have other priorities as well (OL, pass-rusher, etc) and we already have Reggie Smith, Curtis Taylor, and Karl Paymah on board. Wonder what Singletary thinks?
Share 49ersWebzone