LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

BigWads Mock 3.0 (final)

Originally posted by BigBug415:
I don't get it.

Why trade a 2nd and 3rd to move up and take Hughes when you can simply grab Graham at #17?

Because we would forgo getting Iupati and Williams.

Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Our secondary NEEDS to be addressed. Whether it is at safety (I would prefer this) or corner it must be done.

Why? Our secondary is actually pretty damn good...if you want to help our secondary then help our pass rush.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Our secondary NEEDS to be addressed. Whether it is at safety (I would prefer this) or corner it must be done.

Why? Our secondary is actually pretty damn good...if you want to help our secondary then help our pass rush.

I disagree especially when you look at it long term. Nate Clements days could be coming to an end and Lewis is one concussion away from being finished. Spencer had his first healthy year probally ever, and didn't we finish like 28th in passing last season?

Pass rush and a ball control offense will dramatically help, but eventually it will be dismantled without an upgrade.

It's a good mock if you're a fan of OT, OG in the 1st but I'm just not a fan of that.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I disagree especially when you look at it long term. Nate Clements days could be coming to an end and Lewis is one concussion away from being finished. Spencer had his first healthy year probally ever, and didn't we finish like 28th in passing last season?

Pass rush and a ball control offense will dramatically help, but eventually it will be dismantled without an upgrade.

It's a good mock if you're a fan of OT, OG in the 1st but I'm just not a fan of that.

Precisely. I am afraid of Lewis and his concussion history. After him all we have is R. Smith and Curtis. Both of which we cannot count on. And even if Lewis makes it through the season he is essentially done afterwards. For this reason I am big on drafting a safety somewhere in the first two rounds. Earl Thomas in the first or Nate Allen in the second would suffice. I should note that I am not against taking Haden at 13 either. The value is too good to pass on. Furthermore, if we are high enough on Kyle Wilson I would not be against taking him at #17 either.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by stever:
regardless of the 1st round : If Hughes really drops to our 2nd round pick, we have to take him.Period. (Ok, not regardless of the 1st round ; if we take Graham, we don't take Hughes).

I think it's only obvious, if we take Graham we don't take Hughes.

If Hughes would drop to the second round obviously it would be stupid to trade up to take him, but he won't...he just won't. He is way underrated and with his combine numbers there is no way he makes it past 28 or so. There are some pretty good OLB's that would be available when we pick in the second like Jason Worilds, but

Check out the headliner today: http://www.draftcountdown.com/index.html:

"[C]onsensus 1st Team All-American in 2008 and 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-MWC as a junior and senior --- Took home Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors in back-to-back seasons --- Recipient of the Ted Hendricks Award (nation’s top defensive end) and Lott Trophy (IMPACT player of the year) in 2009 --- Actually played running back in high school --- Best fit at the next level might come as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, where his limitations would be marginalized but his speed, athleticism and ability to rush off the corner will be accentuated."

Our pass rush and OL need to be fixed...for Alex and Gore's sakes please make this happen.

The other scenario is to take Brandon Graham or Jason Pierre-Paul with our second pick. Both players would be terrors pass rushing, and it is is possible that Iupati will fall to the mid twenties-OG's always fall...always-and we could trade up to take him in the mid twenties.

The problem is I know that we can get all three players in the scenario I originally selected, which is why I did it that way, but I would be willing to chance it to get Graham or Pierre-Paul.

I think Hughes is going to be the real deal at the next level, at OLB in a 3-4. My money is on him to be one of the steals of the draft if he is picked where he is currently slotted. I also think he is the type of player that Singletary wants on his team. It would not surprise me in the least if we are zeroed in on him.
[ Edited by Blitz on Mar 13, 2010 at 3:34 PM ]

Precisely. I am afraid of Lewis and his concussion history. After him all we have is R. Smith and Curtis. Both of which we cannot count on. And even if Lewis makes it through the season he is essentially done afterwards. For this reason I am big on drafting a safety somewhere in the first two rounds. Earl Thomas in the first or Nate Allen in the second would suffice. I should note that I am not against taking Haden at 13 either. The value is too good to pass on. Furthermore, if we are high enough on Kyle Wilson I would not be against taking him at #17 either.

That's fine, but neither Thomas nor Berry are SS, and if you think we are taking Mays in the top 20 you are on crack.

If you want to take the pick I used on Hughes and use it on Mays I could at least understand a little, but frankly Mays is the most overrated player in this draft and is no better than a second rounder.

That's fine, but neither Thomas nor Berry are SS, and if you think we are taking Mays in the top 20 you are on crack.

If you want to take the pick I used on Hughes and use it on Mays I could at least understand a little, but frankly Mays is the most overrated player in this draft and is no better than a second rounder.

NO I would be upset if we took Mays anywhere in the first. I am suggesting we take Thomas or Allen as FS and move Goldson to SS.

NO I would be upset if we took Mays anywhere in the first. I am suggesting we take Thomas or Allen as FS and move Goldson to SS.

Rolle in the second or third is a possibility. I hear people saying move Goldson to SS, but I don't think he will be effective there.
What was the article in the Chronicle titled? "Bigger and Faster"

First three picks fit the bill, but Shipley unfortunately does not in the speed category.

If M. Gilyard, E. Sanders, or J. Ford are still there, those guys would be my choice for more speed and their return ability.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Looks good to me.

Share 49ersWebzone