There are 269 users in the forums

BigWads Mock 3.0 (final)

With the combine and FA having come and gone (pretty much) we can infer what some of the other teams will do and what we will do.

I think if Spiller is available at either pick Scotty will take him. Regretfully, I honestly don't think Spiller makes it out of the top ten. With that premise, I have the following draft.

DRAFT:

1a. Trent Williams, OT - We all know this is coming so let's not fight it. We need a RT badly and he is a great athlete. He isn't as strong as I would like but he will be a good RT for years. He will be available here too.

1b. Mike Iupati, OG - I don't think we sign any OG worth while and this guy is Larry Allen reincarnated. I have never seen anyone dominate like he did as a OG during senior bowl-which is a hard thing to do in drills one-on-one. This guy is the real deal and he will be available when we pick here.

1c. Jerry Hughes, OLB/DE - He was unstoppable at TCU for four years and blew up the combine. We will have to trade up to the mid twenties to get him and I think we can make the jump using our second and third rounders. I wouldn't mind picking up Jason Pierre-Paul, Brandon Graham or Derrick Morgan, but I think that Hughes skill set is the best for a 3-4 OLB.

4. Jordan Shipley, WR - Punt returner and great skill position guy for Texas.

Can we please solve our OL issues.....ppppppppplease. I know that Scotty is too dumb and scared to have a draft like this, but it is what we need. Gore and Smith deserve to have an OL for once. Our OL was the worst in the league last year and it simply needs talent. Williams and Iupati will do that. I am sick of adding broken down vets past their primes.

Hughes will be an immediate burst in passing situations and IMO take over Lawson's job half way through the year. Hughes and Brooks will be fantastic OLB's for years. Our pass rush needs talent and speed.

Obviously, we don't fill our punt/kick returner need. I would love to take Spiller with one of our first two picks but I truly think he will be gone.

This is a meat and potatoes draft, but it is what we need.
[ Edited by bigwads on Mar 13, 2010 at 6:13 AM ]
Originally posted by bigwads:
With the combine and FA having come and gone (pretty much) we can infer what some of the other teams will do and what we will do.

I think if Spiller is available at either pick Scotty will take him. Regretfully, I honestly don't think Spiller makes it out of the top ten. With that premise, I have the following draft.

DRAFT:

1a. Trent Williams, OT - We all know this is coming so let's not fight it. We need a RT badly and he is a great athlete. He isn't as strong as I would like but he will be a good RT for years. He will be available here too.

1b. Mike Iupati, OG - I don't think we sign any OG worth while and this guy is Larry Allen reincarnated. I have never seen anyone dominate like he did as a OG during senior bowl-which is a hard thing to do in drills one-on-one. This guy is the real deal and he will be available when we pick here.

1c. Jerry Hughes, OLB/DE - He was unstoppable at TCU for four years and blew up the combine. We will have to trade up to the mid twenties to get him and I think we can make the jump using our second and third rounders. I wouldn't mind picking up Jason Pierre-Paul, Brandon Graham or Derrick Morgan, but I think that Hughes skill set is the best for a 3-4 OLB.

4. Jordan Shipley, WR - Punt returner and great skill position guy for Texas.

Can we please solve our OL issues please. I know that Scotty is too dumb and scared to have a draft like this, but it is what we need. Gore and Smith deserve to have an OL for once. Our OL was the worst in the league last year and it simply needs talent. Williams and Iupati will do that. I am sick of adding broken down vets past their primes.

Hughes will be an immediate burst in passing situations and IMO take over Lawson's job half way through the year. Hughes and Brooks will be fantastic OLB's for years. Our pass rush needs talent and speed.

Obviously, we don't fill our punt/kick returner need. I would love to take Spiller with one of our first two picks but I truly think he will be gone.

This is a meat and potatoes draft, but it is what we need.

Great draft that I would love to see happen but as you said, McCloughan would never have the McNuggets or the smarts to pull it off. I can't wait for Jed to fire him and get a GM that would be capable of such draft day moves.
The champaigne corks would be popping for those first two rounds!

Make it so
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Love your first 3 picks, let's hope it turns out that way.
regardless of the 1st round : If Hughes really drops to our 2nd round pick, we have to take him.Period. (Ok, not regardless of the 1st round ; if we take Graham, we don't take Hughes).
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Solid draft. I had one similar to this before.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stever:
regardless of the 1st round : If Hughes really drops to our 2nd round pick, we have to take him.Period. (Ok, not regardless of the 1st round ; if we take Graham, we don't take Hughes).

I think it's only obvious, if we take Graham we don't take Hughes.
Looks good to me.
Originally posted by mayo63:

If Hughes would drop to the second round obviously it would be stupid to trade up to take him, but he won't...he just won't. He is way underrated and with his combine numbers there is no way he makes it past 28 or so. There are some pretty good OLB's that would be available when we pick in the second like Jason Worilds, but

Check out the headliner today: http://www.draftcountdown.com/index.html:

"[C]onsensus 1st Team All-American in 2008 and 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-MWC as a junior and senior --- Took home Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors in back-to-back seasons --- Recipient of the Ted Hendricks Award (nation’s top defensive end) and Lott Trophy (IMPACT player of the year) in 2009 --- Actually played running back in high school --- Best fit at the next level might come as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, where his limitations would be marginalized but his speed, athleticism and ability to rush off the corner will be accentuated."

Our pass rush and OL need to be fixed...for Alex and Gore's sakes please make this happen.

The other scenario is to take Brandon Graham or Jason Pierre-Paul with our second pick. Both players would be terrors pass rushing, and it is is possible that Iupati will fall to the mid twenties-OG's always fall...always-and we could trade up to take him in the mid twenties.

The problem is I know that we can get all three players in the scenario I originally selected, which is why I did it that way, but I would be willing to chance it to get Graham or Pierre-Paul.
[ Edited by bigwads on Mar 13, 2010 at 6:27 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigwads:
Originally posted by mayo63:

If Hughes would drop to the second round obviously it would be stupid to trade up to take him, but he won't...he just won't. He is way underrated and with his combine numbers there is no way he makes it past 28 or so. There are some pretty good OLB's that would be available when we pick in the second like Jason Worilds, but

Check out the headliner today: http://www.draftcountdown.com/index.html:

"[C]onsensus 1st Team All-American in 2008 and 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-MWC as a junior and senior --- Took home Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors in back-to-back seasons --- Recipient of the Ted Hendricks Award (nation’s top defensive end) and Lott Trophy (IMPACT player of the year) in 2009 --- Actually played running back in high school --- Best fit at the next level might come as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, where his limitations would be marginalized but his speed, athleticism and ability to rush off the corner will be accentuated."

Our pass rush and OL need to be fixed...for Alex and Gore's sakes please make this happen.

The other scenario is to take Brandon Graham or Jason Pierre-Paul with our second pick. Both players would be terrors pass rushing, and it is is possible that Iupati will fall to the mid twenties-OG's always fall...always-and we could trade up to take him in the mid twenties.

The problem is I know that we can get all three players in the scenario I originally selected, which is why I did it that way, but I would be willing to chance it to get Graham or Pierre-Paul.

Yeah, I agree, no way Hughes makes it to #49. We'd have to trade up to get him. It really depends on what Scotty and Sing have Graham graded at. If they have him graded high, he could be the pick at #17.

I would love that draft and I'd love to grab Hughes. Our 2nd and 3rd would get us up to the 31/32 range going strictly off the trade value chart . . . which could still get us within range to grab him.
Love it. We need starters, so giving up picks works for me. I might replace Shipley with speedy CB Brandon Ghee, then get returners in lower rounds.
I don't get it.

Why trade a 2nd and 3rd to move up and take Hughes when you can simply grab Graham at #17?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigBug415:
I don't get it.

Why trade a 2nd and 3rd to move up and take Hughes when you can simply grab Graham at #17?

Kind of agree. Which is better?

Williams, Iupati, Hughes, Shipley

or

Williams, Graham, Asamoah, 3rd round pick, Shipley
Our secondary NEEDS to be addressed. Whether it is at safety (I would prefer this) or corner it must be done.
Share 49ersWebzone