There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Post-Combine Full NFL Draft March 7 Edition

Questions for ya MadDog,

1. With this being such a relatively weak INSIDE LINEBACKER draft class, shouldn't Sean Lee be rated much higher? He over came his injury--showing so @ the combine. He was considered by many to be a first round talent had he come out after his first 3 years.

2. I noticed you have Dexter Davis, Arizona State as a LB. He was strictly a hand in the dirt DE @ ASU, are you projecting him to make a switch? Just curious.

3. Can you explain why Ciron Black is so low on yours and many others draft boards? I mean, he was EXTREMELY durable @ LSU. He was also dominant against talented SEC pass rushers like Robert Ayers, Derrick Harvey, Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy, the entire Alabama defense, and many many more. I understand he's a little "sloppy" as far as his figure goes, but he was always quick kicking out and plays with solid leverage. At the very least he kicks inside to play OG, a position he should excel even more at. I just don't get it.
Nice work I really think Dez Bryant will be a let down. As much as it fits teh Raiders I can't see them jumping out there on Bruce.
MD,

Dexter McCluster 3rd round vs Trindon Holliday 5th round

If you had to pick which one the 49ers would go after should these guys not have a team after the rounds indicated above, which do you think would entice the 49ers more?

Realistic chance of drafting either of these?
maddog,

do you really think scot would take haden at #17, knowing he hasnt
taken any DB higher than the 3rd (r.smith) since he's been here?
i would imagine in order for him to make an exception, haden
would have to have either elite size or speed, and even if haden
runs a 4.45 at his pro day, it doesnt appear he has either...

you seemed to have cooled on b.graham a bit.
do you see him as a possible option in scots mind for the #17?
or do you think scot wont see the value in his 6'1.7" frame?

do you think scot would go SS in the 2nd or 3rd or do you think he
feels good about c.taylor, r.smith & roman, should lewis not hold up?
if so who do you see as being the best fits for that SS spot?
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Questions for ya MadDog,

1. With this being such a relatively weak INSIDE LINEBACKER draft class, shouldn't Sean Lee be rated much higher? He over came his injury--showing so @ the combine. He was considered by many to be a first round talent had he come out after his first 3 years.

2. I noticed you have Dexter Davis, Arizona State as a LB. He was strictly a hand in the dirt DE @ ASU, are you projecting him to make a switch? Just curious.

3. Can you explain why Ciron Black is so low on yours and many others draft boards? I mean, he was EXTREMELY durable @ LSU. He was also dominant against talented SEC pass rushers like Robert Ayers, Derrick Harvey, Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy, the entire Alabama defense, and many many more. I understand he's a little "sloppy" as far as his figure goes, but he was always quick kicking out and plays with solid leverage. At the very least he kicks inside to play OG, a position he should excel even more at. I just don't get it.

All good questions. Let me start with Davis. He was measured at 6'1", 244 pounds, and that is too small to play DE in the NFL. He'll end up converting to a Will or Sam backer at the next level.

As for Black, he's had a pretty bad offseason, after a down year in 2009. Senior Bowl was a struggle, and the combine may have been worse. Ran in the mid-5.5's, and lumbered around the field in drills. Strictly a RT at the next level, and may even have to move inside to guard. Just a mess when he should be peaking.

The biggest challenge is attempting to find a final resting place for Sean Lee. He was a first round talent two years ago, that busted up his knee last year and couldn't play. He might end up a third rounder, or even a second rounder. I'm taking the other route and predict that his knee is not sound, and will be downgraded for it. Just pure speculation at this point. Since no fan has access to medical records, fans can only speculate.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Nice work I really think Dez Bryant will be a let down. As much as it fits teh Raiders I can't see them jumping out there on Bruce.

I know it sounds crazy for them to make this pick, but Mike Lombardi, who worked in the Raiders front office, and predicted the drafting of DHB last year, knows Al Davis' addiction to speed and athleticism. He says that Campbell is the Raiders' pick, if he had to make a prediction, and he would know better than anyone.
Originally posted by bergy07:
MD,

Dexter McCluster 3rd round vs Trindon Holliday 5th round

If you had to pick which one the 49ers would go after should these guys not have a team after the rounds indicated above, which do you think would entice the 49ers more?

Realistic chance of drafting either of these?

McCluster is going to be a second rounder, at worst, after his Senior Bowl week. He was a huge stud, and is more likely to be a first rounder than a third.

However, in the two scenarios you presented, McCluster would be the choice. At the same time, I think A LOT of teams are going to kick themselves down the road by not selecting Holliday with their third or fourth round choice. He is lightning quick, and going to score a lot of TD's in his NFL career.
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
maddog,

Scotty loves those successful SEC players, so he fits that mold, for sure. And, I really think he buys into the BPA philosophy. If he thinks Haden is top-level talent, I could see him making the pick, just like when Crabtree fell into our lap last year.

Graham may be my favorite player in the draft. Count me as a gigantic fan. At he same time, I don't see him busting inside the top 20 picks in a deep draft. So, I've got him pegged just outside. Is he a legitimate pick at 17? Sure, if I am the GM. However, I don't see the Niners drafting an OLB high in this draft, at all.

I think Scot is high on R. Smith, and he may get the first shot to take over Lewis' position this season if he is dinged again. I'm not sold on Goldson, nor Smith, so I'd have a different philosophy.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
maddog,

Scotty loves those successful SEC players, so he fits that mold, for sure. And, I really think he buys into the BPA philosophy. If he thinks Haden is top-level talent, I could see him making the pick, just like when Crabtree fell into our lap last year.

Graham may be my favorite player in the draft. Count me as a gigantic fan. At he same time, I don't see him busting inside the top 20 picks in a deep draft. So, I've got him pegged just outside. Is he a legitimate pick at 17? Sure, if I am the GM. However, I don't see the Niners drafting an OLB high in this draft, at all.

I think Scot is high on R. Smith, and he may get the first shot to take over Lewis' position this season if he is dinged again. I'm not sold on Goldson, nor Smith, so I'd have a different philosophy.

haden's forty time at the combine notwithstanding, he looks on game film to be very quick and explosive closing in on the receiver..and I recall alot of guys who had mediocre 40 times and played very well in nfl, showing game speed...jerry rice for example....haden's forty time shouldnt vastly alter a team's perception of him (especially since he had poor starting mechanics which affected the time)

Just saw that. $10 million over three years. Also signed Scott Fujita, so the LB position is quickly loading up with players.

The Ravens seem to have every intent on trading Jared Gaither, and with no third and fourth rounders, might be willing to make a deal with a team like the Niners for their 49th and 79th overall. I don't think the team would give up their 17th overall, unless it came with the Ravens' 57th overall pick (2nd rounder).

Took the weekend off the internet and came back to read about Gaither potentially being on the move. The question I have is why? By trading Gaither away, they're forcing themselves to draft a tackle early. Is there something I'm missing here? I've always thought Gaither was a pretty good tackle. Perhaps Gaither wants to be LT and the team wants to move Oher there long-term? If that's the case, he certainly wouldn't want to be in San Francisco with Staley firmly entrenched there.

I love the idea of adding Gaither, and I think it might be the right move for Singletary. The 49ers are a team that desperately needs to start winning on the field and a proven guy like Gaither on the line is just what the doctor ordered. Is this purely a salary cap issue or is there something the Ravens know the rest of us don't

Also what about Earl Thomas at 13 if Spiller is gone and a Gaither trade is made?
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Mar 8, 2010 at 6:40 AM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:

Just saw that. $10 million over three years. Also signed Scott Fujita, so the LB position is quickly loading up with players.

The Ravens seem to have every intent on trading Jared Gaither, and with no third and fourth rounders, might be willing to make a deal with a team like the Niners for their 49th and 79th overall. I don't think the team would give up their 17th overall, unless it came with the Ravens' 57th overall pick (2nd rounder).

Took the weekend off the internet and came back to read about Gaither potentially being on the move. The question I have is why? By trading Gaither away, they're forcing themselves to draft a tackle early. Is there something I'm missing here? I've always thought Gaither was a pretty good tackle. Perhaps Gaither wants to be LT and the team wants to move Oher there long-term? If that's the case, he certainly wouldn't want to be in San Francisco with Staley firmly entrenched there.

I love the idea of adding Gaither, and I think it might be the right move for Singletary. The 49ers are a team that desperately needs to start winning on the field and a proven guy like Gaither on the line is just what the doctor ordered. Is this purely a salary cap issue or is there something the Ravens know the rest of us don't

Also what about Earl Thomas at 13 if Spiller is gone and a Gaither trade is made?

Earl Thomas is going to be an intiguing draft choice, as I think teams are split on what role he would play with them. To me, is better suited to play CB. Drafting him at 13 is a pretty big reach. I just don't see teams between the Niners picks having much interest.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM ]
MD who carries the biggest red flags that worries you and would stay away from at all costs?
Originally posted by jreff22:
MD who carries the biggest red flags that worries you and would stay away from at all costs?

The more I read about Perrish Cox, the more concerns I have on the kid. His stock seems to be slipping as time passes.

Anthony Davis could be this year's version of Andre Smith. Just didn't seem ready for the combine, and appears to be immature.

Not a real fan of Brandon Spikes. His dirty play last year just screams out immaturity, and his stiff hips don't sell me on him.

Finally, I think Dez Bryant has some potential diva in him. He needs to stop complaining about the previous investigation that banned him from playing this past year, and pound out a superb workout. The past is the past, and he is clinging onto something he cannot change at this point.

A final note: It seems like this batch of eligible players is pretty squeeky clean, which is a great sign for the league. It may be that the days of the National Felon League may be ending.

A final note on Cox: He's been blackballed from participating at the OSU Pro Day this week. That tells you all you need to know about his relationship with the coaching staff.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:56 PM ]

A final note on Cox: He's been blackballed from participating at the OSU Pro Day this week. That tells you all you need to know about his relationship with the coaching staff.

He was the only one I remembered acting up in front of the camera at the combine and he did it after his crappy 40 time. That's like talking crap at a job interview.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home