There are 135 users in the forums

Tim Kawakami's early mock

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
And you just supported my point in another thread:

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This is a pretty good draft for CB's, and it is not a big need in 2010, so selecting Haden doesn't make much sense to me unless we think he is clearly better than anyone else on the board.

In fact, I think Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty are either right with Haden, or even better.

No one including Maddog ever uttered those words before this combine. Haden was clearly the best CB on tape. I understand the reservation given the 40 times but I believe that whoever gets this kid if he drops down to the teens is going to get a steal.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I really really really really don't want Joe Haden.

Why not? You can never have too many good CB's in the new NFL IMO. So what's your take on Haden.

First of all, I don't think he's that good.

And secondly, we have much greater needs than CB. I think our CB's are fine for now, we don't need to spend a 1st round pick on one, especially one as unspectacular as Haden.

I agree we don't need to take a CB in the 1st. But our corners are not fine. They're slow and old as dirt. I'd like to see us take one in the 2nd or 3rd. Kareem Jackson, Brandon Ghee, Dominique Franks, Devin McCourty - lots of good corners this year. Patrick Robinson and Kyle Wilson are too early at 17 and probablly won't be there at 49. We should be able to get a young corner though.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

This is a pretty good draft for CB's, and it is not a big need in 2010, so selecting Haden doesn't make much sense to me unless we think he is clearly better than anyone else on the board.

In fact, I think Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty are either right with Haden, or even better.

No one including Maddog ever uttered those words before this combine. Haden was clearly the best CB on tape. I understand the reservation given the 40 times but I believe that whoever gets this kid if he drops down to the teens is going to get a steal.

I didn't like him before the combine.
Originally posted by dbdublin:

Why not? You can never have too many good CB's in the new NFL IMO. So what's your take on Haden.

And secondly, we have much greater needs than CB. I think our CB's are fine for now, we don't need to spend a 1st round pick on one, especially one as unspectacular as Haden.

I agree we don't need to take a CB in the 1st. But our corners are not fine. They're slow and old as dirt. I'd like to see us take one in the 2nd or 3rd. Kareem Jackson, Brandon Ghee, Dominique Franks, Devin McCourty - lots of good corners this year. Patrick Robinson and Kyle Wilson are too early at 17 and probablly won't be there at 49. We should be able to get a young corner though.

Totally agree with you there, I would hope we take a corner in the 2nd or 3rd.

I just don't think we should spend a top pick on one, especially Haden, when we have more important needs.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I didn't like him before the combine.

I'm just saying I would like to see anything that says that Wilson or McCourty are even or better than Haden that was written BEFORE the combine. I actually like the fact that his time was a bit slow as I think he could fall to the Niners now . I liked him before and I am not going to disregard all of the games this year based on 2 runs where his technique sucked.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran

I just don't think we should spend a top pick on one, especially Haden, when we have more important needs.

None more important than a long-term starter at CB. Unless taking a part-time RB/KR is more important.
Originally posted by FL9er:

None more important than a long-term starter at CB. Unless taking a part-time RB/KR is more important.

You honestly believe that a starting CB is our greatest need right now?

Greater than a starting RT, LG, or DE/OLB?
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
#13 CJ Spiller
#17 Trent Williams

me gusta mas

That should be in reverse (seeing that as said above Williams bumped himself up a couple of discs at the combine).

I just honestly think there's no way in hell we're going to pay 13th spot tender + signing bonuses to a change-of-pace RB/KR (or even worse, an undersized CB), it just sounds like something f**king retarded Al Davis would do.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 4, 2010 at 15:18:58 ]
  • Walsh
  • Veteran

You honestly believe that a starting CB is our greatest need right now?

Greater than a starting RT, LG, or DE/OLB?

CB is not a greater need than RT but it's possible we pick the RT up with our 2nd #1. As for LG, there's no way we're spending our first #1 on a LG. Whether a great corner helps us more than a DE/OLB is debatable. I think most people would take the corner.

The main problem is that our pass defense is in the bottom third of the league. We can use a good corner. Another smaller issue is that Clements may have lost his starting job to Spencer so he's getting paid like a #1 corner and making plays like a #2. You take Haden and you have 2 great young corners and your set at those positions for years to come.

Lets remember what did us in last year folks! 3 and out,3 and out,3 and out! Spiller and Williams is what the doctor ordered,use Spiller for punts,kickoffs,slot,backfield etc,Williams gives Alex more time to pass,rest of draft is all defense from 2nd rd on! Makes too much sense fellas...

Share 49ersWebzone