LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Mock Draft 1.0: Niners to pass on Spiller

• LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A
Here is my first mock draft, but I'm only focusing on picks 1 - 17. Based on what I read thus far from
the beat writers and watching the combine, I think they'll will definitely pass on Spiller :(
They will most likely take an OT with the 13th pick and take the BPA at 17. IMO, this mock draft does not look pretty, but I think it's realistic. If you think about it...taking Bulaga addresses an immediate need and taking a nose tackle like Dan Williams will help in the long run since it takes awhile to fully grasp the concept
of the position (look how long it took Franklin to be good).

1. Ndamukong Suh - Rams - I think they can take Bradford here (smokescreen), but will go with the safe pick. They'll address the QB via free agency.
2. Russell Okung - Lions - I think Okung is hands down the best OT this year. Need to protect Stafford who has a shoulder injury. He also had a great combine.
3. Gerald McCoy - Bucs - The next Warren Sapp.
4. Trent Williams - Skins - I think they'll go and back&forth with Bradford, but
I think they will commit to Campbell and take an OT. Plus, Chris Samuels will retire.
5. Eric Berry - Chiefs - Addresses a need here and is the next BPA.
6. Anthony Davis - Seahawks - Uncertain with Walter Jones. May take Bradford here as well.
7. Joe Haden - Browns - Haden is the safest top 10 pick and addresses a need.
8. Jason Pierre-Paul - Raiders - Good size and speed. Needs pass rushing
9. Sam Bradford - Bills - Trent Edwards sucks
10. Dez Bryant - Broncos - Marshall may leave.
11. Derrick Morgan - Jags - BPA
12. Rolando McClain - Dolphins - Addresses a need and next BPA.
13. Bryan Bulaga - Niners - They seem to like him at the combine and it addresses a need. Sorry everyone, but I think they'll pass on Spiller here.
14. CJ Spiller - Seahawks
15. Everson Griffen - Giants
16. Carlos Dunlap - Titans
17. Dan Williams - Niners - Not a popular choice, but the nose tackle position
is critical to the niners and this year's class is one of the strongest. I don't think Balmer fits well in a 3-4. He's more natural in a 4-3. Plus, McCloughan loves size and the guys that are left are undersize for their position like Graham, E.Thomas, and Kindle.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Interesting. There should a pretty good NT available in round 2, so I rather go a different route, but addressing OL and DL is always a good thing.

Clausen is not in your top 17?
  • LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A
I'm not big on Clausen, especially he didn't do anything at the combine. But where would he go in the top 17? This may change after his Pro-Day.
Bulaga and Williams would definitely fit Mcs drafting profile and the team would certainly benefit from it. Then all we need is CB; SS; RB, KR/PR, WR, OLB, OG in the remaining 6 rounds.

[ Edited by Ninefan56 on Mar 1, 2010 at 12:03:29 ]
I just dont feel this mock at all. Here are reasons:

1) Okung to Detroit.. no chance. DT is a much bigger need and they can get one of
the 2 studs in this draft. I dont see any possible way Okung ends up in Det

2) Trent Williams to Washington.. This would go down as one of the biggest reaches
in the history of the draft. You honestly think that Shanahan is going to pass on
Bradford or Claussen for a RT? Zero chance.

3) Anthony Davis.. see above. Seattle isnt going to pass on a franchise QB to take
an OT.

As for the Niners picks.. they could happen. Bulaga could definitley be the pick at 13 and Williams isnt impossible at 17 although I think he will be gone by then.

I think you vastly underrated Claussen. He will be a top 10 pick in my opinion.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Mar 1, 2010 at 12:11:03 ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Interesting. There should a pretty good NT available in round 2, so I rather go a different route, but addressing OL and DL is always a good thing.

Clausen is not in your top 17?

Agreed. Not sure I have seen this combo so fat this year. If we can't get Franklin on a reasonable contract we certainly need to look at NT but I don't think I would do it in round 1. It's a fair call, though.
  • LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

1) Okung to Detroit.. no chance. DT is a much bigger need and they can get one of

2) Trent Williams to Washington.. This would go down as one of the biggest reaches
in the history of the draft. You honestly think that Shanahan is going to pass on

3) Anthony Davis.. see above. Seattle isnt going to pass on a franchise QB to take
an OT.

As for the Niners picks.. they could happen. Bulaga could definitley be the pick at 13 and Williams isnt impossible at 17 although I think he will be gone by then.

Seriously, Jimmy Clausen a franchise QB? Heck no! Teams are already questioning his leadership skills. He is a small dude with small hands (smallest hands at the combine).
Originally posted by LilAzn9er:

an OT.

Seriously, Jimmy Clausen a franchise QB? Heck no! Teams are already questioning his leadership skills. He is a small dude with small hands (smallest hands at the combine).

He isnt that small. He measured over 6'2" and is taller than Mark Sanchez. I think he has the arm, the pro style experience, and the accuracy to be a very good NFL QB. Mayock thinks so as well not that his opinion is everything.

Take him out of the pitcure and I still dont see any chance at all that the Rams, Redskins, and Sehawks would pass on Sam Bradford and certainly not for Trent Williams or Anthony Davis.
  • LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by LilAzn9er:

an OT.

He isnt that small. He measured over 6'2" and is taller than Mark Sanchez. I think he has the arm, the pro style experience, and the accuracy to be a very good NFL QB. Mayock thinks so as well not that his opinion is everything.

Take him out of the pitcure and I still dont see any chance at all that the Rams, Redskins, and Sehawks would pass on Sam Bradford and certainly not for Trent Williams or Anthony Davis.

I agree about Sam Bradford. Like I said...this assessment is based on the combine workout. Bradford's stock may rise after his Pro-Day. I guess we all hopeful that he goes higher, so someone can drop to us.
Pass on Spiller and Spiller going to the Seahawks = fail.

There's a difference between mocking what you I think will happen and what will likely happen. In all likelihood Clausen is going top 10.
While I disagree with your opinion on Clausen, I think he goes to the Seahawks at #14. They are the only team who's been rumored to actually like him because Carroll recruited him heavily at USC.

I like your Dan Williams pick......There's really only two NTs worth drafting in the 1st two rounds: Williams and Cody. Williams has the perfect build, strength, and ability to play as an 3-4 NT.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Aubrayo before the draft, whether they sign him to an extension or not. If they don't want to pay for an NT who's turning 30, then Dan Williams will get serious consideration in April
I think this will be a very interesting draft for the niner nation. Lots of talents, we have 2 first (and some people hated it and said we lost value when we traded our 2nd last year-moving up 20+ spots is not a lost to me) Many teams that can go who knows what direction-love it.

Here's hoping Al Davis goes with the combine freak and takes Bruce Campbell or anyone before us for that matter so that we can have the pick of our choice at OT.
After that whether it is spiller, iupati, DE from michigan, DT williams-gravy. I expect a lot of trades in this draft-maybe even after a player is picked.
those two 49er picks could set them up to succeed for a long time, shoring up the right side of the line and giving us a future 3-4 NT who can learn behind (and hopefully rotate with) Franklin.

While I want to see the 49ers draft two playmakers, those two picks would make a lot of sense. Though the kid in me would be sad
  • LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A
Now that the Niners put a 2nd round tender on Brooks...probably won't draft an OLB in the 1st round now.
Share 49ersWebzone