Resign -

Aubrayo Franklin - NT
David Baas - OG/C
Barry Sims - OT
Ahmed Brooks - DE/LB
Dre Bly - CB

Free Agency -

Stephen Neal - OG - Patriots
- The main thing McCloughan needs to focus on for the 2010 season is addressing critical holes in an efficient way. Neal is a top OG in the league, and a huge step up amongst Snyder, Rachal, or Baas at RG. Outstanding in pass protection and solid in run blocking, Neal would be a nice fit for the 49ers. Cali native as well.

Antrell Rolle - FS - Cardinals
- While Rolle isn't a top 5 FS, he's certainly an upgrade for Goldson. I am not in favor of moving Goldson to SS, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Goldson in the Mark Roman role for a year until Lewis is gone. Rolle has proven his worth as a starter at FS.

NFL Draft -

R1: C.J. Spiller - RB/WR/ST - Clemson
- When the Vikings selected Percy Harvin, they faced severe criticism for taking a raw prospect that could play RB and WR. Many argued that he would have a rough adjustment to the NFL, and would only contribute to special teams. Harvin proved them wrong, and almost helped his team to the SB.

When I think of Spiller and the criticisms that some posters have of the selection in other mocks, I am reminded by the Vikings choice of Harvin. The fact of the matter is that we lack speed at RB. We lack speed at WR. We lack speed and talent at the kick/punt returner position. The fact that one player can address those issues VERY WELL speaks volume as to why we need to invest in that type early in the draft.

R1: Trent Williams - OT - Oklahoma
- No surprise here. Williams is the natural RT we need to secure the spot for the entire decade. Is it possible he may not be here? Sure, but there are other options like Bulaga or Campbell.

*Trade 49ers 2nd and 4th round draft picks for an early 2nd round pick*

R2: Brandon Spikes - ILB - Florida
- With our immediate needs addressed, we can now add tangible prospects for special teams and future starters. Spikes learning from Spikes is picture perfect in my book. The trade up will be worth it.

R3: Mike Neal - DE/NT - Purdue
- Goodbye Demetric Evans, hello Mike Neal. With the question marks around Balmer, it may be wise to invest in a NT/DE prospect. Our 3-4 D is only as good as the front seven.

R5: Chris Marinelli - OT - Stanford
- Snyder does not belong at OT ever again. Marinelli would be a good backup to Trent Williams.

R6: Jim Dray - TE - Stanford
- Solid blocking TE

R7: Sam Shields - CB/WR - Miami
- Potential ST contributor and KR/PR guy. Very raw.

UDFA: O'Brien Schofield - DE/OLB - Wisconsin
- With a torn ACL, I am not sure if teams will select him in the draft. If he's available, McCloughan better pursue the f**k out of him. Good prospect.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Hill/Davis
RB: Gore/Spiller*/Coffee
TE: Norris/Robinson

WR: Crabtree/Hill/Ziegler
WR: Morgan/Jones

LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Baas/Rachal
OC: Heitmann/Wallace
RG: Neal*/Snyder
RT: Williams*/Marinelli*

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/Neal*
RE: Sopoaga/Balmer

OLB: Lawson/Brooks
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Spikes*
OLB: Haralson/Briggs/Schofield*

CB: Clements/Bly/Shields*
CB: Spencer/Brown
FS: Rolle*/Smith
SS: Lewis/Goldson

ST: Nedney, Lee, Jennings
Great mock! Not a fan of the Rolle signing, espically with Goldson starting to blossom
Love the Zeigler addition.

Well worked and thought out
Let me ask you GEEK, how high are you on Kyle Wilson? Post-Combine, I think he'll rise up to the top of the 2nd.

[ Edited by SFL49ER on Feb 22, 2010 at 20:36:12 ]
Originally posted by eastbay49er:
Great mock! Not a fan of the Rolle signing, espically with Goldson starting to blossom

Agree nice mock, but not as high on other moves
I like it, but would not do the trade. Rather hope Spikes falls like Ray and Lauranitis. If Spikes is not there, there are a ton of guys that have late 1st grades that should be there. Rather save the 4th for Ciron Black or Jacoby Ford in the 4th.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Let me ask you GEEK, how high are you on Kyle Wilson? Post-Combine, I think he'll rise up to the top of the 2nd.

I could see Wilson as the second CB taken in the draft - over Robinson and everyone else.

The reason is that Wilson is a double threat at DB and ST. If he puts up good combine numbers, I could see him in the 20's range of getting picked of the first round.

I wouldn't feel bad trading back from #17 to the 20's, gain an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder, and selecting Wilson. Although we'd select OT with the 13th pick instead.
I would love if those were the first 3 picks. I think we NEED Spiller, and the need for an OT is obvious. The Spikes pick just seems like a perfect fit on many levels. He may go in the 1st round though. Nice job
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
I would love if those were the first 3 picks. I think we NEED Spiller, and the need for an OT is obvious. The Spikes pick just seems like a perfect fit on many levels. He may go in the 1st round though. Nice job

Thanks
Originally posted by GEEK:

Thanks

Great Mock. I really like Spikes (I think he brings lots of intensity). However, I hate how every mock has us drafting Spiller. We do not NEED Spiller, he fills in a minor role as a Special Teamer and change-of-pace back (althought this role is minor, it is still very important- see Felix Jones against the Eagles for example). I believe we end up drafting him, yet I think that he are focusing too much on the offensive side of the ball. Our pass defence is subpar, and our secondary is aging very quickly. Although we get alot of sacks, we do not have an elite edge rusher. Although the example of Harin fits very well, the Vickings also had the following: the best RB in the game today, a future Hall of Fame QB, an GREAT Offensive line with multiple Pro Bowlers, a wide array of recieving threats, an GREAT defensive line, a Pro Bowl edge rusher, and a good secndary. We on the other hand, have none of those. That is why percy harvin succeded. Not that he would have failed somewhere else, but I doubt he would have had the same impact. Without the O-line to give his QB the time to throw, his QB's great accuracy and arm strength, other recievers to distract the D from Percy, a Defense that can keep the other team from scoring and give the ball back to the offense and force them to PUNT to percy, and without the runningback whoes play actions which defenses must respect, allowing percy to get open easier, I doubt Percy Harvin wins offensive rookie of the year. Just saying.

Anyway, not to take away anything form your mock (Great job again), just wanted to give my humble opinion on the matter.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:

Thanks

Great Mock. I really like Spikes (I think he brings lots of intensity). However, I hate how every mock has us drafting Spiller. We do not NEED Spiller, he fills in a minor role as a Special Teamer and change-of-pace back (althought this role is minor, it is still very important- see Felix Jones against the Eagles for example). I believe we end up drafting him, yet I think that he are focusing too much on the offensive side of the ball. Our pass defence is subpar, and our secondary is aging very quickly. Although we get alot of sacks, we do not have an elite edge rusher. Although the example of Harin fits very well, the Vickings also had the following: the best RB in the game today, a future Hall of Fame QB, an GREAT Offensive line with multiple Pro Bowlers, a wide array of recieving threats, an GREAT defensive line, a Pro Bowl edge rusher, and a good secndary. We on the other hand, have none of those. That is why percy harvin succeded. Not that he would have failed somewhere else, but I doubt he would have had the same impact. Without the O-line to give his QB the time to throw, his QB's great accuracy and arm strength, other recievers to distract the D from Percy, a Defense that can keep the other team from scoring and give the ball back to the offense and force them to PUNT to percy, and without the runningback whoes play actions which defenses must respect, allowing percy to get open easier, I doubt Percy Harvin wins offensive rookie of the year. Just saying.

Anyway, not to take away anything form your mock (Great job again), just wanted to give my humble opinion on the matter.

Thanks for the well thought-out and detailed reply.

The fact that Spiller can play 3 positions is the most attractive part of the selection. Imagine Gore and Spiller on the field in a 2 WR, 2 RB, and 1 TE formation. Spiller rotates out to WR with Gore in the backfield or vice versa. Crabtree, Spiller, Davis, Gore, and Morgan on the field at once? Exciting. It adds dangerous and MUCH NEEDED speed to the offense.

I don't disagree your points about Harvin and the Vikes situation. At the same time, I don't think it's fair to discredit Spiller because he is not entering the same situation as Harvin. As a team that is finally starting to capitalize on its potential, a guy like Spiller may guarantee an additional 2 wins because of field position and big play threat. How many games can you remember were lost based on poor special teams field position and returns? At least 2, if not more.
Originally posted by eastbay49er:

This
Yea pretty solid mock only thing I would change is if I were to trade up for a earlier 2nd round I would go with the best Cb on the board over Spikes. To be honest I don't think Spikes is worth a trade up. I would prefer getting another young CB added at this point over a back up ILB. If Wilson were there I would take him in a heartbeat over Spikes. I don't' mind either FA signings.

[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 24, 2010 at 09:46:51 ]
Not bad, not bad at all....

I remeber we flew Rolle out to the Bay Area a couple of times before the draft....Im sure Gore would approve
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

I could see Wilson as the second CB taken in the draft - over Robinson and everyone else.

The reason is that Wilson is a double threat at DB and ST. If he puts up good combine numbers, I could see him in the 20's range of getting picked of the first round.

I wouldn't feel bad trading back from #17 to the 20's, gain an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder, and selecting Wilson. Although we'd select OT with the 13th pick instead.

Any scenario that has us drafting Kyle Wilson will make me happy.
Share 49ersWebzone