There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MBarrows: Niners OLine worst in the league...

Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Well, here's our new starting line and backups:

Staley - Iupati - Heitmann - Rachal - Davis
Sims - Baas - Snyder

Sims backs up LT/RT, Baas at LG/C, Snyder at RG/RT/LT

Assuming Davis can be the player he's capable of, I think we have a ROCK-SOLID starting line and really good depth.

It wouls not surprise me if Sims gets the starting LT move Staley back to the right and have Davis backing up the left side until he is ready
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redmanc07:

Sims - Baas - Snyder

Assuming Davis can be the player he's capable of, I think we have a ROCK-SOLID starting line and really good depth.

It wouls not surprise me if Sims gets the starting LT move Staley back to the right and have Davis backing up the left side until he is ready

I love our line now!
The excitement over 2 O-linemen in the first shows how terrible we were at the position.
Originally posted by Walsh:
Originally posted by redmanc07:

Sims - Baas - Snyder

I love our line now!
The excitement over 2 O-linemen in the first shows how terrible we were at the position.

Well, to be honest, the 49ers have never drafted o-linemen this high before. And, I think I was reading that Iupati is the highest drafted guard since Steve Hutchinson. (I'm not sure if that's true or if I mis-read that. I thought a guard's been drafted higher than 17 recently).

It just shows that we're aggressively trying to improve the offensive line, which was a big reason why our offense didn't live up to its potential last year.
Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we drafted 2 good OL guys, but...we won't be able to show much improvement if our coaches insist on running right up the middle every single time! The article got it right 100% that we were too predictable and should try to mix it up a bit.
Last season the OL was horrible, the OL coaching was horrible and the playcalling was too predictable.

So far we improved the coaching immensely with Solari and Brown, added major talent in the first round and now we need Raye to open it up more, be less predictable and with us going in to the 2nd year of this offense i think Raye can do that.
Originally posted by 49erinManila:
Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we drafted 2 good OL guys, but...we won't be able to show much improvement if our coaches insist on running right up the middle every single time! The article got it right 100% that we were too predictable and should try to mix it up a bit.

ALoT of teams were predictable and were still good.....THE JETS ran up the middle ran often and still converted 1st downs b/c of their OL not rb.....

have a top 5 rb and now will have a decent OL in front of him so even if we are predictable, we will still get the 1st downs and points