There are 181 users in the forums

Draft trade rumor?

Its going to cost TB more than a 3rd and Josh Johnson to move up to get the best player in the draft.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
If the Rams don't want a DT, then they'd be idiots NOT to make this trade.

The top 2 picks are probably going to be DTs if TB and Detroit are #1 and #2. There's absolutely zero chance that either takes a QB so St. Louis is set at #3 to choose Clausen or Bradford.

On top of that, they get an extra pick and a decent backup QB out of it. Who cares about the draft value chart in this situation. Take what you can get and jump back to #3. Obviously St. Louis is making the threat right now that they WILL take Suh but if they'd rather get a QB for the future, they should definitely deal. You're getting who you want at #3 (which is also FAR less $ for a QB) than at #1.

They'd be stupid to pass up on Suh. He's a franchise player who could anchor their D for years, Bradford or Clausen could bust easy and won't make an impact any time soon. They need guys at every position, they aren't in any position to groom a young QB. They pick Bradford or Clausen and try to play em in the next 2 years and they'll wind up Alex Smithing them. Of course it's the Rams, so it could happen, but still. I'd take Suh over any player in this draft. I hope it happens so we don't have to face him twice a year for the next 12-15 years. The guy is a beast.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

The top 2 picks are probably going to be DTs if TB and Detroit are #1 and #2. There's absolutely zero chance that either takes a QB so St. Louis is set at #3 to choose Clausen or Bradford.

On top of that, they get an extra pick and a decent backup QB out of it. Who cares about the draft value chart in this situation. Take what you can get and jump back to #3. Obviously St. Louis is making the threat right now that they WILL take Suh but if they'd rather get a QB for the future, they should definitely deal. You're getting who you want at #3 (which is also FAR less $ for a QB) than at #1.

They'd be stupid to pass up on Suh. He's a franchise player who could anchor their D for years, Bradford or Clausen could bust easy and won't make an impact any time soon. They need guys at every position, they aren't in any position to groom a young QB. They pick Bradford or Clausen and try to play em in the next 2 years and they'll wind up Alex Smithing them. Of course it's the Rams, so it could happen, but still. I'd take Suh over any player in this draft. I hope it happens so we don't have to face him twice a year for the next 12-15 years. The guy is a beast.

Personally I agree with you...Suh is dominant and a clear #1 overall caliber player.

I'm just not sure that the Rams want to draft another defensive lineman. If the assumption is that they DON'T want to go defensive line with their 1st pick, then their absolute best interest is in trading out.

Personally I agree with you...Suh is dominant and a clear #1 overall caliber player.

I'm just not sure that the Rams want to draft another defensive lineman. If the assumption is that they DON'T want to go defensive line with their 1st pick, then their absolute best interest is in trading out.

The trade would only make sense if they wanted a QB. If it was me, I would be more than content to put Suh next to Carriker and Long.

Yeah. To me it only makes sense to take Suh though. Long and Carriker have pretty much both been busts, well Carriker anyway. Spags is a defensive coach who only did well when he's had great DLines, here you have a guy who can anchor your DL for years and you want to trade the chance at him for a back up QB and a 3rd rounder? That's just nuts. Yeah if they don't want to go DL with their 1st then they should trade back, but they need the help and they just need to build up their lines before they're ever going to be good.
This is one of many rumors we'll hear between now and the draft...could it happen, yeah, but I wouldn't hold my breath it does. Even if it did, it doesn't mean Berry would fall to us...no matter what happens WRT trades, I really don't see him falling out of the top 10. Of course, Crabtree did last year because Big Al was being Big Al, but we're at #13 this time, not #10.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
This is one of many rumors we'll hear between now and the draft...could it happen, yeah, but I wouldn't hold my breath it does. Even if it did, it doesn't mean Berry would fall to us...no matter what happens WRT trades, I really don't see him falling out of the top 10. Of course, Crabtree did last year because Big Al was being Big Al, but we're at #13 this time, not #10.

I think if they move back it's because they don't want one of the top-2 DT so I'm guessing they'd take Berry. Personally I'm more scared of them getting Berry than Suh. If you're looking for somebody to drop to us like Crabtree did look at Haden. There's a lot of good D-lineman in this draft which may help a corner like Haden drop. It probably won't happen but he (IMO) has the biggest chance of dropping.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Sounds like it would work well for both teams. The Bucs have a surplus of QB's and J. Johnson has had some time to develop. That would leave the Rams in position to get Eric Berry which means Atogwe may be available to the Niners as a free agent.

Can't the Rams trade Atogwe? They could trade him and receive additional draft picks, right? The Rams need all of the help that they can get!

They can't trade Atogwe unless they sign him and they can't sign him unless they pay him at least 110% of this year's salary which would put him just north of $7 million on the year and make him the highest paid safety in the league.

It's not like letting him walk and then drafting Berry is going to be that much cheaper.

They're going to tag him.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Sounds like it would work well for both teams. The Bucs have a surplus of QB's and J. Johnson has had some time to develop. That would leave the Rams in position to get Eric Berry which means Atogwe may be available to the Niners as a free agent.

Can't the Rams trade Atogwe? They could trade him and receive additional draft picks, right? The Rams need all of the help that they can get!

They can't trade Atogwe unless they sign him and they can't sign him unless they pay him at least 110% of this year's salary which would put him just north of $7 million on the year and make him the highest paid safety in the league.

It's not like letting him walk and then drafting Berry is going to be that much cheaper.

They're going to tag him.

I don't think the rams don't have to tag him. He's a RFA. I believe they can just tender him at the 1st & 3rd level for some amount WAY less than $7 mil.
Id love for this to happen. Anything that would keep Suh out of St. Louis would be a great trade.

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Id love for this to happen. Anything that would keep Suh out of St. Louis would be a great trade.

Agree
Share 49ersWebzone