LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

Draft trade rumor?

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Sounds like it would work well for both teams. The Bucs have a surplus of QB's and J. Johnson has had some time to develop. That would leave the Rams in position to get Eric Berry which means Atogwe may be available to the Niners as a free agent.

I still think they take a QB with the 3rd pick. Probally Bradford.

Then it's a dumb ass trade! Just like the Browns/Jets dumb ass trade last year!

How is it dumb? If they want a QB all along, they move down 2 spots and still get their choice of QB, while picking up a 3rd rounder and a stop gap to bring along Clausen or Bradford. It's a great trade for both teams.

I'm not a stickler to the trade value chart. But to only come away with a 3rd round pick and a backup QB for the #1 pick just doesn't seem too bright. If they felt Johnson was their QB then by all means do the trade.

They should atleast get a player of worth if they are doing a trade like that. I understand the point that they pickup up a 3rd and still get their man. But if they feel that is their man, they shouldn't even mess around with trying to get just an extra 3rd and a backup player. If someone traded up in front of them then they look really stupid passing on their guy for only a 3rd round pick and a guy they want as a backup.

To me the gamble isn't worth a 3rd round pick. If it works out for them it's like a golfclap of a trade! If it doesn't it's like Santa Clause in Philly type of trade!

Just not worth it if JJ isn't going to be their QB.

Some are saying 2nd rounder others 3rd rounder. I doubt St Louis makes the move unless it's a 2nd.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Sounds like it would work well for both teams. The Bucs have a surplus of QB's and J. Johnson has had some time to develop. That would leave the Rams in position to get Eric Berry which means Atogwe may be available to the Niners as a free agent.

How is it dumb? If they want a QB all along, they move down 2 spots and still get their choice of QB, while picking up a 3rd rounder and a stop gap to bring along Clausen or Bradford. It's a great trade for both teams.

I'm not a stickler to the trade value chart. But to only come away with a 3rd round pick and a backup QB for the #1 pick just doesn't seem too bright. If they felt Johnson was their QB then by all means do the trade.

They should atleast get a player of worth if they are doing a trade like that. I understand the point that they pickup up a 3rd and still get their man. But if they feel that is their man, they shouldn't even mess around with trying to get just an extra 3rd and a backup player. If someone traded up in front of them then they look really stupid passing on their guy for only a 3rd round pick and a guy they want as a backup.

To me the gamble isn't worth a 3rd round pick. If it works out for them it's like a golfclap of a trade! If it doesn't it's like Santa Clause in Philly type of trade!

Some are saying 2nd rounder others 3rd rounder. I doubt St Louis makes the move unless it's a 2nd.

that seems more worth the gamble. But if they aren't planning on starting JJ. They should try for someone else. I mean i have no idea if they have or not obviously but the trade would make more sense. But the risk seems more worth it for a 2nd. But JJ would just be a waste of compensation.
I actually think the Bucs would be giving away too much. They are only moving up 2 spots in the draft. What if Josh Johnson turns out to be a good QB?
Would like to see this trade happen.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I actually think the Bucs would be giving away too much. They are only moving up 2 spots in the draft. What if Josh Johnson turns out to be a good QB?

You do realize this is not Josh Freeman, last years 1st round pick by the bucs who is their qb of the future.

This is Josh Johnson, a low draft pick qb who showed nothing to date.
Originally posted by 9erred:

You do realize this is not Josh Freeman, last years 1st round pick by the bucs who is their qb of the future.

Why pay #1 money for the same guy you are going to draft 2 spots later?

that seems more worth the gamble. But if they aren't planning on starting JJ. They should try for someone else. I mean i have no idea if they have or not obviously but the trade would make more sense. But the risk seems more worth it for a 2nd. But JJ would just be a waste of compensation.

If you're going to draft Bradford having a good backup isn't a bad thing. Not to mention that they could probally stick Johnson in 4-5 plays a game in some Wildcat look.
Originally posted by 9erred:

Why pay #1 money for the same guy you are going to draft 2 spots later?

this. not to mention you get a QB as a throw in. Nothing wrong that considering the Rams QB's were awful to begin with.
I think this deal ends up getting done. Tampa has 5 picks in the first 99 selections, and they also built a Super Bowl around a dominant tackle once before.

Tampa needs a DT more than anything else, and St Louis needs a QB more than anything else. It makes too much sense not to get done.

I agree that the Rams need a QB, Bulger seems about done and Kyle Boller is not the answer, but neither is J. Johnson. He would be nothing more than a 1 year stop gap until the Rams can select Locker.

If the Rams are making this move to draft either Bradford or Clausen they wouldn't want another QB as compensation, they would want another pick, like the Bucs 2nd.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I think this deal ends up getting done. Tampa has 5 picks in the first 99 selections, and they also built a Super Bowl around a dominant tackle once before.

Tampa needs a DT more than anything else, and St Louis needs a QB more than anything else. It makes too much sense not to get done.

I agree that the Rams need a QB, Bulger seems about done and Kyle Boller is not the answer, but neither is J. Johnson. He would be nothing more than a 1 year stop gap until the Rams can select Locker.

If the Rams are making this move to draft either Bradford or Clausen they wouldn't want another QB as compensation, they would want another pick, like the Bucs 2nd.

The Rams won't make this move without a 2nd rounder.

Teams don't plan on tanking the season so you can forget about them already positioning themselves for Jake Locker.

• evil
  • Veteran

At the end of the day, if St.Louis doesn't get one of Tampa's 2nd round picks along with Josh Johnson (as opposed to the rumored 3rd + JJ) then it's a complete fail for them.

Can't the Rams trade Atogwe? They could trade him and receive additional draft picks, right? The Rams need all of the help that they can get!
If the Rams don't want a DT, then they'd be idiots NOT to make this trade.

The top 2 picks are probably going to be DTs if TB and Detroit are #1 and #2. There's absolutely zero chance that either takes a QB so St. Louis is set at #3 to choose Clausen or Bradford.

On top of that, they get an extra pick and a decent backup QB out of it. Who cares about the draft value chart in this situation. Take what you can get and jump back to #3. Obviously St. Louis is making the threat right now that they WILL take Suh but if they'd rather get a QB for the future, they should definitely deal. You're getting who you want at #3 (which is also FAR less $ for a QB) than at #1.
I can't remember the last time a team traded out of the #1 overall pick?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by PTulini:

Can't the Rams trade Atogwe? They could trade him and receive additional draft picks, right? The Rams need all of the help that they can get!

They can't trade Atogwe unless they sign him and they can't sign him unless they pay him at least 110% of this year's salary which would put him just north of $7 million on the year and make him the highest paid safety in the league.
Share 49ersWebzone