LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Draft trade rumor?

Per NLFN from the St. Petersburg Times, the Rams and the Bucs have explored a trade involving the Bucs 1st round pick and QB Josh Johnson in exchange for the #1 overall pick.

The Bucs would then select Ndamukong Suh

Very interesting if true.

[ Edited by DynastyPart2 on Feb 21, 2010 at 10:14:52 ]
I think this deal ends up getting done. Tampa has 5 picks in the first 99 selections, and they also built a Super Bowl around a dominant tackle once before.

Tampa needs a DT more than anything else, and St Louis needs a QB more than anything else. It makes too much sense not to get done.
Seems to make sense. It looks like one of the 2 qb's will be there at #3, so the rams wouldn't loose to much if they are willing to take a qb at #1.

[ Edited by stever on Feb 21, 2010 at 11:17:26 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
The current rumor has it being Tampa's 3rd overall + a 2010 3rd rounder + JJ.

That offer will not be accepted IMO. St.Louis is coming out as giant losers. Do they really value JJ as a 2nd round value because by this deal the difference would be 545 points which = the 36th pick. I think Tampa will have to pony up a 2nd rounder to make it work.
Originally posted by stever:
Seems to make sense. It looks like one of the 2 qb's will be there at #5, so the rams wouldn't loose to much if they are willing to take a qb at #1.

Totally agree. I think they'd rather get a QB then another first-round D-lineman.
This would be good for us because it increases the odds of Eric Berry falling to us because Tampa Bay would not be selecting him. But if they stay where they are at they could definately select him at #3. Now we just need to find way to get him past the Chiefs, Seahawks, Browns, Jaguars and Broncos...

[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Feb 21, 2010 at 11:47:47 ]
Sounds like it would work well for both teams. The Bucs have a surplus of QB's and J. Johnson has had some time to develop. That would leave the Rams in position to get Eric Berry which means Atogwe may be available to the Niners as a free agent.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by KRS-1:
The current rumor has it being Tampa's 3rd overall + a 2010 3rd rounder + JJ.

That offer will not be accepted IMO. St.Louis is coming out as giant losers. Do they really value JJ as a 2nd round value because by this deal the difference would be 545 points which = the 36th pick. I think Tampa will have to pony up a 2nd rounder to make it work.

Disagree. I think this is a perfect scenario for both teams. Tampa's run defense is the worst in the league--they absolutely need a dominating defensive lineman and afer Suh and McCoy there aren't any worth picking #3 overall.

St. Louis desperately needs a QB but do you want to pay #1 money to Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen? We're talking at least $40 million guaranteed (which is what Stafford got from Detroit). Don't think so. This gives gives them a QB that will work as a stop gap at the very least. They've been rumored to be involved in going after Vick, and Josh Johnson has the same style as Vick with much more upside.

They wouldn't have to pay him any guaranteed money--Tampa Bay has already done that and his salary is about $5 million a year. If he doesn't work out next year they'll probably be in a good spot where they can draft Jake Locker.
I don't get why they want a QB so that they can move back and get... a QB? I think if they move back they'd take Eric Berry.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Sounds like it would work well for both teams. The Bucs have a surplus of QB's and J. Johnson has had some time to develop. That would leave the Rams in position to get Eric Berry which means Atogwe may be available to the Niners as a free agent.

I still think they take a QB with the 3rd pick. Probally Bradford.

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Then it's a dumb ass trade! Just like the Browns/Jets dumb ass trade last year!
Originally posted by krizay:

How is it dumb? If they want a QB all along, they move down 2 spots and still get their choice of QB, while picking up a 3rd rounder and a stop gap to bring along Clausen or Bradford. It's a great trade for both teams.
I think this is a ploy to get the Eagles to lower their trade offer for Michael Vick.

The Rams need a starting caliber QB to buy some time for a development like Bradford unless they like Clausen instead. Josh Johnson is not ready. Freeman looked much better than him last year , just ask Bucs fans.

I can see the Rams trading for Vick, then trading down in the draft to get Dez Bryant. Their defense was not a problem last year. They need offensive playmakers to take the pressure off Jackson. Trust me, I live in STL and their defense was light years ahead of their offense last year.

Why does it matter who they take? If they take Berry at 3 how does it make it a mathematically better deal than taking Bradford at 3?

What's dumb @ss is banking your season on a guy that had a 50 rating and only completed 50% of his passes last season.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

How is it dumb? If they want a QB all along, they move down 2 spots and still get their choice of QB, while picking up a 3rd rounder and a stop gap to bring along Clausen or Bradford. It's a great trade for both teams.

I'm not a stickler to the trade value chart. But to only come away with a 3rd round pick and a backup QB for the #1 pick just doesn't seem too bright. If they felt Johnson was their QB then by all means do the trade.

They should atleast get a player of worth if they are doing a trade like that. I understand the point that they pickup up a 3rd and still get their man. But if they feel that is their man, they shouldn't even mess around with trying to get just an extra 3rd and a backup player. If someone traded up in front of them then they look really stupid passing on their guy for only a 3rd round pick and a guy they want as a backup.

To me the gamble isn't worth a 3rd round pick. If it works out for them it's like a golfclap of a trade! If it doesn't it's like Santa Clause in Philly type of trade!

Just not worth it if JJ isn't going to be their QB.
Share 49ersWebzone