There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Top 4 OT's off the board & the 49ers are on the clock

So the self proclaimed genius's demanding the 49ers take a tackle in the 1st round are crying in their living rooms Okung, Davis, Williams, & Buluga have all been selected ahead of us. With guys like Haden, Spiller & Campbell still available who do the 49ers take at 13 with Seattle Picking right after??

Mark my words if Spiller lands in Seattle it will be a major set back, we might have to pass on Haden to prevent this. We really can't go wrong drafting either of the two, It just looks like letting Spiller go will haunt us possibly for years.

Whether you agree with Mcshay or not, a run on tackle's has happened before & the 49ers must be prepared for it to happen again.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM ]
why would it be a major setback? how are we going to know that spiller is going to be the s**t? if he does go to seattle then i feel sorry for him since he will have to deal with willis & company coming after his ass! seattle is going to need some o-line help big time as well
We shouldn't go into a draft thinking that we need to draft someone just because we don't want someone in our division to take him. We need to worry about OUR needs not about others in our division.

If we take Spiller fine, but it's pretty stupid for the FO to draft someone just to take him off the board so the Seahawks wont draft him.

Plus we did pretty well against top RB's last year, Spiller doesn't scare me when the Seahawks have other major issues going on.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:14 PM ]
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
We shouldn't go into a draft thinking that we need to draft someone just because we don't want someone in our division to take him. We need to worry about OUR needs not about others in our division.

If we take Spiller fine, but it's pretty stupid for the FO to draft someone just to take him off the board so the Seahawks wont draft him.

Plus we did pretty well against top RB's last year, Spiller doesn't scare me when the Seahawks have other major issues going on.

Taking Spiller though kills two birds with one stone. He definitely helps address our needs and prevents Seattle from getting a dynamic speedy playmaker while getting one for ourselves.
Spiller is a playmaker, the type that can shift momentum instantly.

Theres countless you tube clips that say I'm right..
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Taking Spiller though kills two birds with one stone. He definitely helps address our needs and prevents Seattle from getting a dynamic speedy playmaker while getting one for ourselves.

If we draft an OT with our other pick that's fine
Its a dumb move to pick a player just to block him from going somewhere else. Yea, I know spiller isn't a bum and can add crazy speed to our offense, but our need isn't at RB. If haden is there with spiller id go Haden.

There's no guarantee that Carrol goes Spiller anyways. Hes a defensive coach. I could also see him taking Clausen to be the face of his franchise.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
So the self proclaimed genius's demanding the 49ers take a tackle in the 1st round are crying in they're living rooms Okung, Davis, Williams, & Buluga have all been selected ahead of us. With guys like Haden, Spiller & Campbell still available who do the 49ers take at 13 with Seattle Picking right after??

Mark my words if Spiller lands in Seattle it will be a major set back, we might have to pass on Haden to prevent this. We really can't go wrong drafting either of the two, It just looks like letting Spiller go will haunt us possibly for years.

Whether you agree with Mcshay or not, a run on tackle's has happened before & the 49ers must be prepared for it to happen again.

Aren't there countless youtube clips of Jahvid Best, Matthews and McCluster too?

Weren't there countless youtube threads of Ted Ginn and Reggie Bush?

How does youtube clips make you right?

PS: I love Spiller too, just don't understand how youtube clips make you right.
Originally posted by noobie:
Its a dumb move to pick a player just to block him from going somewhere else. Yea, I know spiller isn't a bum and can add crazy speed to our offense, but our need isn't at RB. If haden is there with spiller id go Haden.

There's no guarantee that Carrol goes Spiller anyways. Hes a defensive coach. I could also see him taking Clausen to be the face of his franchise.

Or Taylor Mays
Originally posted by kronik:

Aren't there countless youtube clips of Jahvid Best, Matthews and McCluster too?

Ive never seen a player as explosive as Spiller, his youtube highlights are superior compared to all the guys you mentioned besides maybe Bush who was drafted #2 overall. It's not hard to tell he's an extremely special player.

Ive never seen a player as explosive as Spiller, his youtube highlights are superior compared to all the guys you mentioned besides maybe Bush who was drafted #2 overall. It's not hard to tell he's an extremely special player.

LOL, you haven't seen Ginn's youtube video have you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg

You obviously haven't seen Jahvid Best's vid either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqV4OqowNnQ
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:40 PM ]
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

There in lies a major problem for some Kronik. They put too much stock into a youtube highlight reel. The reel only shows one side of a player really, and claiming that it makes you right is untrue. It maybe justifies your opinion but in no way does it prove it anymore right than someone else's opinion about why drafting for the OL is the better option.

As great as Spiller's highlight reels show who is to say he does not become more of a Michael Bennett clone than a Chris Johnson clone. The highlight reels don't show you that now do they ? There have been other RB's to come out of college as 1st round talents with gamebreaking ability who could have had some great youtube clips as well had youtube been around when they came out. Not saying Spiller is a bust but stressing that one should not make his decision that Spiller is what this team needs judging solely by those clips. If your point/s is/are based off of watching games then we have something to actually discuss.

There are lots of other speedy playmakers in this draft outside of Spiller so the sky will not fall if we do not draft him, just as it won't if we don't take an OL at all in the first.
Take Spiller at #13 the Iupati at #17. Look for a RT in round 2 and secondary help in round 3. Hate to pass up Haden but we need another playmaker on offense.
So the self proclaimed genius's demanding the 49ers take a tackle in the 1st round are crying in their living rooms Okung, Davis, Williams, & Buluga have all been selected ahead of us. With guys like Haden, Spiller & Campbell still available who do the 49ers take at 13 with Seattle Picking right after??

I would take Spiller but not to keep him out of Seattle but because he a nice change of pace to Gore and he can return kicks & punts.