LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

4ML's Mock 1

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Offseason:

Resign/Extension:
1. Vernon Davis - Going into last year, he will become the highest paid TE in the league.
2. Ahmad Brooks - Makes sense for both sides to hammer out an extension.
3. David Baas - 1 year RFA tender
4. Franklin - Franchise Tag

Free Agency:

1. Leon Washinton (RB) - He can return kicks and fulfill the requirement of change of pace back. If we are serious about fixing our return game, we need to go after a guy like him.

Draft:

1(a) - Bryan Bulaga (OT) - If Anthony Davis doesn't fall to us, Bulaga is the next best guy. It's obvious we need a OL help, and he should come in and start from day 1.

1(b) - Trade down about 10 spots and pick up an extra 3rd - Kyle Wilson (CB) - Doubles up as kick returner as well. Great athlete and has good size. Is on the rise.

2 - Jerry Hughes (OLB) - I like what we have in Brooks. Lawson is improving as well. But, if we want to have consistent pass-rush every year, we need to have 3 or 4 guys who can smack the QB in the mouth.

3(a) - Mardy Gilyard (WR) - We need speed at WR and Gilyard can fly. He will make a perfect slot WR - kind of like Breaston in 'Zona.

3(b) - received in a trade down in 1st rd - Cam Thomas (NT) - Franklin will likely be franchised, but we have nothin' behind him. Time to bring in someone who can someday take over.

4 - Myron Rolle (SS) - Goldson looks set at FS, and I rather not change his position. He plays with abandon recklessness, and has great instincts. I would like someone like Michael Lewis to replace Michael Lewis. Myron Rolle is just the guy.

5 - Jared Veldheer (OT) - Very raw but has some potential. He can be a decent backup at the next level. Hit or miss pick.

6 - Sergio Render (G) - Chilo has the talent, but needs to put it together. This is a big year for him. Baas will be a RFA and played decent in the second half. He was coming from an off-season injury as well. Wragge provides us with okay depth, so I didn't look at a Guard early in the draft. I will give this group one more year to gel and show what they got. Render provides some depth.

7 - Cory Jackson (FB) - Hits people in the mouth, Singletary should like that.

Thoughts? I didn't watch a whole lot of college football this year, as I was out of the country. Came back in Dec, and has been followin' close look. Of course, many of you have followed it since Sept, so would love to get your thoughts.
  • 49ersBackOnTop38
  • Info N/A
I like it. If things were to play out that way I would be very happy on draft day BUT to be honest, I think it would be a miracle to get gilyard with our pick in the middle of round 3. I do feel he has potential to be a first round talent but I feel he will fall to the middle or end of round 2. All in all, nice mock
i like it, can't really complain with this one, i guess gilyard and mcluster are interchangeable
I like it a lot...but I also think you're not being very realistic with where some guys will go but you never know.

Hughes and Gilyard at their respective selections right now seems wishful thinking to me. Also not sure Rolle lasts til the 4th.

I'm also not a huge fan of Wilson. I'd rather go with Perrish Cox but that's personal preference.
Solid draft if it happened. I like Rolle a lot and don't think he'll fall that far.
  • cools
  • Veteran
As far as our FA's, like your ideas, but i'd rather sign Baas to a longer deal
and throw in Walt Harris for Vet depth at CB, keep Sims around also to backup Staley or start at RT a few games if our rookie is not quite ready

Pretty sure L.Washington is going to be an RFA

Like the Bulaga and Hughes picks

Rolle, Im not so sure about, think he already has one foot out the door as far as the NFL goes, wants to be a Neuro Surgeon,
I kinda like the other FS named Myron (Lewis) from Vandy, he can also play CB

I'd pass on the OT in the 4th, the Niners will want to keep some Vets around with experiance, and you have already added a rook OT and OG
but if you want Render, you may have to get him with this 4th rnd pick, I doubt he lasts till the 6th

Instead of a FB (we have 3 Mo, Miller and Caulcrick) I'd look for a #3 blocking TE
I'm not sure when Washington will be ready for action didn't he break his leg in two spots?
Nice mock. Think we have our fullback already on the roster.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm not sure when Washington will be ready for action didn't he break his leg in two spots?

It was NASTY, literally the bone in his leg was sticking out. He had to be rushed to the local Oakland hospital to prevent infection. I'm not so sure he'll be near 100%.
pretty nice mock

I wouldn't be upset of this happened, but I do think Gilyard will be gone in the 2nd, Rolle likely in the 3rd (if not higher) and Veldheer is not likely to make it out of the 3rd round. Now, stranger things have happened so your mock is a possibility, but these are very talented prospects you have projected fairly low, so I'm not completely sure how realistic it is.

Though I think you have him graded about right, I also wouldn't be shocked to see Cam Thomas picked in the mid-to-late 2nd, given the lack of NTs in this draft.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 4, 2010 at 11:34 AM ]
Like the players that you selected and they would certainly fill needs. A few comments though:

1) Leon Washington - I would never sign him after that bad injury. TOo much risk and why would you need him if you are drafting Gilyard anyway?

2) I think there are several guys who you pick who will simply be gone before:
Hughes rd 2 (although its certainly possible he is there)
Gilyard rd 3 - I just dont see anyway he is still there in 3rd
Veldheer rd 5 - just too big and talented to last until 5th. Not that many good OT's

The Niners would absolutley love if the draft went this way but I just dont see that happening.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Looks like I need to do some homework and re-do the draft, probably after combine once there is more data on the players. Like I said, I haven't seen a lot of football this year, except the bowl games and senior bowl...and some youtube clips, so I don't know where everyone stacks up. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cools:
As far as our FA's, like your ideas, but i'd rather sign Baas to a longer deal
and throw in Walt Harris for Vet depth at CB, keep Sims around also to backup Staley or start at RT a few games if our rookie is not quite ready

Pretty sure L.Washington is going to be an RFA

Like the Bulaga and Hughes picks

Rolle, Im not so sure about, think he already has one foot out the door as far as the NFL goes, wants to be a Neuro Surgeon,
I kinda like the other FS named Myron (Lewis) from Vandy, he can also play CB

I'd pass on the OT in the 4th, the Niners will want to keep some Vets around with experiance, and you have already added a rook OT and OG
but if you want Render, you may have to get him with this 4th rnd pick, I doubt he lasts till the 6th

Instead of a FB (we have 3 Mo, Miller and Caulcrick) I'd look for a #3 blocking TE

Good insight. I think Washington is a FA, and though his injury is a big concern, I think he will be fine. Blocking TE is probably a good idea.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I wouldn't be upset of this happened, but I do think Gilyard will be gone in the 2nd, Rolle likely in the 3rd (if not higher) and Veldheer is not likely to make it out of the 3rd round. Now, stranger things have happened so your mock is a possibility, but these are very talented prospects you have projected fairly low, so I'm not completely sure how realistic it is.

Though I think you have him graded about right, I also wouldn't be shocked to see Cam Thomas picked in the mid-to-late 2nd, given the lack of NTs in this draft.

Taking notes.
Share 49ersWebzone