LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 153 users in the forums

But would you trade our first pick and our second rounder for Eric Berry?

But would you trade our first pick and our second rounder for Eric Berry?

I put up this poll in response to the other poll just posted recently about trading up for Berry with BOTH our first round picks, and I think most here think it would be ridiculous to trade both our first rounders to move up and get Berry.

But out of curiousity, If Berry falls to pick #6, our first pick at #13 and our second rounder total the amount of points to move up to #6. What do all of you here on the zone think about that if Berry is available at #6, or even #7?

I am not personally advocating this, however getting Berry at #6 and a RT at #16 would be something I wouldn't be upset with (even with the loss of the second round pick). Every year I hear people saying how teams would love to trade down but there aren't many teams willing to give up picks to move up. If he gets past Seattle to #7, Cleveland has shown a willingness to move down in the past. Maybe Holmgren would work with us on a trade.

I know it is a deep draft but i thought this would be a more even poll than asking whether to give up both our firsts to move up.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Feb 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM ]
Make it stop

Were not going to get eric berry, or any safety in the 1st unless they are by far the BPA and we cant trade back
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
I put up this poll in response to the other poll just posted recently about trading up for Berry with BOTH our first round picks, and I think most here think it would be ridiculous to trade both our first rounders to move up and get Berry.

But out of curiousity, If Berry falls to pick #6, our first pick at #13 and our second rounder total the amount of points to move up to #6. What do all of you here on the zone think about that if Berry is available at #6, or even #7?

I am not personally advocating this, however getting Berry at #6 and a RT at #16 would be something I wouldn't be upset with (even with the loss of the second round pick). Every year I hear people saying how teams would love to trade down but there aren't many teams willing to give up picks to move up. If he gets past Seattle to #7, Cleveland has shown a willingness to move down in the past. Maybe Holmgren would work with us on a trade.

I know it is a deep draft but i thought this would be a more even poll than asking whether to give up both our firsts to move up.

Thoughts?

No. Whilst I maintain that our secondary requires immediate improvement we wont give up two first rounders for one player. We need playmakers and if that means we bring an OT and then the best available option from CB, LB/DE or OL then so be it.
Originally posted by irishluder:
Make it stop

Were not going to get eric berry, or any safety in the 1st unless they are by far the BPA and we cant trade back

Hey I didnt say I would do this, but I WOULD at least consider the option if he is on the board when Cleveland picks at #7.

I'm on the record saying I want Spiller and Graham in the first, or a combination of Spiller/Graham and a RT.

I was just curious to see if the people on the zone think Berry is worth the loss of our second round pick, where many were talking about picking up a CB for depth (who could start in the future). In this scenario we give up the CB we could have taken in the second who wouldn't be a starter for awhile and instead get an immediate impact starter at FS (who may be, after Suh, the best prospect in the entire draft) and move Goldson to SS. We still get our right tackle in the first, along with a possible Ed Reed type of player. We could still get a corner in the third and a G in the 4th.
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Feb 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by ezekiel40:

Thoughts?

No. Whilst I maintain that our secondary requires immediate improvement we wont give up two first rounders for one player. We need playmakers and if that means we bring an OT and then the best available option from CB, LB/DE or OL then so be it.

I didnt say we should give up two firsts. The poll is whether a first and a second would be worth it. We would still have our second first round pick to pick a RT.
Make it stop

If we could give up a second rounder and our extra first then hell yes. Make yourself stop.

1A) Eric Berry
1B) Bulaga/Davis/Williams
3) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (CB)

Were do I sign!!
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Feb 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM ]
  • 49ersBackOnTop38
  • Info N/A
Honestly if berry was there at #7, it would definately cross my mind since we will get the best player in the draft AGAIN and still be able to pick up our future RT with pick #16 (I'm optimistic all the time). Then we can go mike johnson from alabama in the 3rd or even have a chance at the electric jacoby ford to fill our slot/pr/kr duties......not saying I would BUT just saying it would definately cross my mind....7 round mock coming soon without the eric berry trade ;)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Make it stop

If we could give up a second rounder and our extra first then hell yes. Make yourself stop.

1A) Eric Berry

Were do I sign!!

If we do give up our second 1st round pick, how do you have Eric Berry and Bulaga???
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Make it stop

1A) Eric Berry

Were do I sign!!

If we do give up our second 1st round pick, how do you have Eric Berry and Bulaga???

We would give up #13 and our second rounder to move up to #6 or #7 and get Berry (If we move up to Cleveland's pick at #7, we would actually get their 4th round pick as well). We would use #16 on Bulaga/Willams/Davis.
Make it stop

1A) Eric Berry

Were do I sign!!

We are giving one first rounder and our second rounder to move up. Thus we still have Carolina's 1st rounder. So we use our 1RD and 2RD pick to move up to take Berry. Then we take Bulaga with our pick from Carolina.

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Make it stop

1A) Eric Berry

Were do I sign!!

I was going to post the exact same thing..If we get Berry, then select the BTA with our 2nd 1st round pick...But I was going to post Javier Arenas, hes an awesome returner and in the future might be a decent number 2 CB..
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Make it stop

1A) Eric Berry

Were do I sign!!

I was going to post the exact same thing..If we get Berry, then select the BTA with our 2nd 1st round pick...But I was going to post Javier Arenas, hes an awesome returner and in the future might be a decent number 2 CB..

That would work even better. Good call!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Make it stop

1A) Eric Berry

Were do I sign!!

We are giving one first rounder and our second rounder to move up. Thus we still have Carolina's 1st rounder. So we use our 1RD and 2RD pick to move up to take Berry. Then we take Bulaga with our pick from Carolina.

Nevermind brain farted for a bit.
Make it stop

1A) Eric Berry

Were do I sign!!

Wow, you REALLY think this will play out. Come on man, you've been here a long time and should know better...
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I'll def. do this. First, when was the last time we actually hit on our 2nd rounder? Second, of course no player in the draft is a sure thing, but Eric Berry comes pretty darn close to that. Just like Crabtree was last year. Gettin' a player like Eric Berry will improve our secondary instantly.
Share 49ersWebzone