There are 203 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The no OL in the 1st round mock! Lets change things up...

Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
This brings up an interestiing point. For the record I dont think we should or will exit the first round without our future right tackle. But I have seen the occasional mock where two very talented potential top 5-10 picks make it back to us due to needs of certain teams above for specific positions. For example I saw a draft that said we could grab Hayden and Spiller in the first...with Hayden taking a free fall and Spiller really on being taken 1 or 2 later than most think. So my question is this. To add another layer to the original post. What 2 guys would have to be there for you to say, hell with it, I will get a RT in the second round?

The only players I want in the first round are, in order of preference: 1. Graham, 2. Spiller, 3. Best RT available (Davis, Bulaga, Williams), 4. Iupati. Hence, my mock bein the way it was. If Spiller is not there, take Oline first and then Graham. But if he is there, I think it is worth it to take both Spiller and Graham and then O-line in rounds 2 an 3.

If Spiller is not there, I'd want to trade back from 13 to the 20's and grab a the best RT at #16 and take Graham with next pick in the 1st round. Then take Jahvid Best and Asomoah in the second (using the extra pick from trading back),and then the best FS/SS available in the 3rd.

I just want Brandon Graham on this team, period. So if Spiller is there too, we should get them both. But ultimately Iwant Brandon Graham to find his way onto the niners.

As much as I love Iupati, I can't fault you for taking Graham. I love me some Graham too even though it's not a position of need. But he is a true stud.

I just think taking Graham and the second best guard in the second round makes us better than Iupati and another OLB. Who's to say Asomoah won't become a pro-bowl caliber guard? But I believe Graham will be the probowl OLB we've needed on this team since we went to the 3-4.
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Jan 30, 2010 at 3:09 PM ]
We must get Graham, period. And he should be there for us in the middle of the first round.
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by bigwads:
Those who don't want to fix the OL properly.

One big problem: Davis, Bulaga and Williams are not worth a mid first round pick. You want to build a mediocre OL? We already have plenty of average offensive linemen who were taken higher than they deserved and taking Davis/Bulaga/Williams will yield the same results.

1.) Said who?
2.) Based on what?

Lets compare this situation to our DL situation a few years back. In 2007 we DESPERATELY NEEDED D-LINEMEN just like today we DESPERATELY NEED O-LINEMEN. Lots of people wanted Carriker because he would 'fill a hole for the next decade'. In retrospect, Carriker was a late-1st/early 2nd pick who got way over-hyped because of his position. McC took a superemely talented player at a position that the zone considered less important and the rest is history.

The point is a player is not guaranteed to live up to his hype. In fact their chances of success are drastically reduced the farther you reach.

Lets drop this 'take any OT available and they will be great for us now and for the next decade' line of thinking. That is not the way to fix an OL properly.

I don't know if you were around the zone that year but if you were you don't remember well. Some wanted Carricker but most wanted Willis. The two situations are not actually directly comparable but bending the truth doesn't help.

As for your comment about taking any available OT, how about a link? Or is this more BS? Because all the posts I have seen on the subject are quite choosy on the subject of which tackles we should take
Nannite

I see you joined on 29 April 2009. Interesting that you know so much about the zone during the drafting of Willis. Or are you a previously banned member?
So are you guys with me now with Brandon Graham at #17???!!! He would be there for us at #17, and the pass-rushing beast we have needed.

Still want Spiller though at #13! Rounds 2 and 3 will have to be switched. With these other tackles playing so horribly today, we will have to take Jason Fox or Kyle Callaway at RT in the 2nd round, not the third. Then we take Jerry in the 3rd and we are good.

Come on guys! Callaway played just as good as Bulaga in Iowa's bowl game, and if I drafted Bulaga instead of Spiller you all would be fine with the mock. So lets take Spiller and Graham in the first and RT in the 2nd!!!! then G in the third!!!
So are you guys with me now with Brandon Graham at #17???!!! He would be there for us at #17, and the pass-rushing beast we have needed.

Still want Spiller though at #13! Rounds 2 and 3 will have to be switched. With these other tackles playing so horribly today, we will have to take Jason Fox or Kyle Callaway at RT in the 2nd round, not the third. Then we take Jerry in the 3rd and we are good.

Come on guys! Callaway played just as good as Bulaga in Iowa's bowl game, and if I drafted Bulaga instead of Spiller you all would be fine with the mock. So lets take Spiller and Graham in the first and RT in the 2nd!!!! then G in the third!!!

our o line is crap we are probally the bottom 3 ahead of the cheifs and redskins thats it if we want to be a better team we have to fix the o line u dont spend a top 15 pick on a kick returner when u r the bottom 5 in a majot category

need>>>>>important than luxury picks
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

our o line is crap we are probally the bottom 3 ahead of the cheifs and redskins thats it if we want to be a better team we have to fix the o line u dont spend a top 15 pick on a kick returner when u r the bottom 5 in a majot category

need>>>>>important than luxury picks

Spiller is more than just a KR, waaaay more. Read what I wrote about him. And he is BPA, not to mention at a position where running backs don't have a long shelf-life. We can fix the OL in the 2nd and third rounds with solid players. Get a good G in FA and we will have a much improved line.
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Jan 31, 2010 at 12:30 AM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by English:
Nannite

I see you joined on 29 April 2009. Interesting that you know so much about the zone during the drafting of Willis. Or are you a previously banned member?

Not defending nannite but it is possible to lurk somewhere for a long time before registering.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by English:
Nannite

Not defending nannite but it is possible to lurk somewhere for a long time before registering.

That's why I asked the question. Loads of PBMs round here.

dont judge a player by one game...the "form on the day"-factor is a too big issue in such a type of evaluation.
and i dont want another season with a horrible o-line...if we have the opportunity to draft a outstanding o-liner in the first, then we will have to pull the trigger. we are not in a position to take two BPAs with both firstrounders. my opinion excepts reaching, of course. I dont want to reach for a need either. I'd rather trade down...you will always find an idiot who want trade up to 1stround-teens.