I realize that we are in dire need of OL talent to help our team. However, I don't think we necessarily HAVE to fix our O-line problems in the 1st round, IF and only IF 2 particular players are available, of which one should definitely be. We have a new O-line coaching staff, which hopefully are better than our previous O-line coaches, and I'd like to see if they can coach up the players we already have, especially Rachal. In addition, our GM i don't think will draft a G in the 1st. The key for me is whether we can pick up a solid LG in FA, and hopefully there are a couple available. If we can, then we can pass on Iupati, even though he is an incredible prospect. But we need more playmakers on this team, on offense and on defense. I just don't want to draft a RT in the first round because we NEED a right tackle, when there are some other playmakers available at valuable position such as OLB. So here is my draft....(and this is IF we get a G in FA)
Best FA guard available (Neal, etc..)
1. CJ Spiller RB/KR - This is BPA at pick #13. He is not just a luxury pick, but a NEED. Gore gets injured and is out a few games a year, and is a between the tackles runner. Spiller is the PERFECT compliment to Gore, as he has track speed to threaten the edge of the defense and is a threat to take it all the way on any play he is in the game. He is also big enough to be our feature back when Gore is done, and is needed insurance if Gore goes down to injury. He will extend Gore's career as well, and he can pass protect too! Perfect for our spread offense. He solves our KR problem as well, and turns this area into a strength right away. He will have more of an impact on the game in terms of explosive plays then Iupati (and Iupati is outstanding). If he is not there, then take Iupati or the best RT available, but it is the next guy I really want at our second pick in the first round.
Trade back into the early twenties with a team who wants Iupati or another player. Pick up an extra 3rd. Because we got a quality G in FA, we don't have to take Iupati here and miss the one player I really think we need on this team.
1. Brandon Graham OLB - We need this guy. He is the best OLB prospect in the draft IMO, and will be huge for our pass rush. We don't have a lot of depth on the edge, and I believe he will be starting within a very short time upon his arrival on the niners. Like MadDog and OTC have said, Graham has been a man amongst boys during his college career, and will dominate in the NFL, at an extremely valuable and highly coveted position. With Brooks on the other side, and Lawson and Haralson to rotate in as depth, our pass rush is now a huge strength of our defense. I was hoping Austen Lane and other later round OLB's would impress, but Lane has struggled and not one looks NFL-ready like Graham.
2. Jon Asamoah G - Here is where we get our guard to compete with Rachal on the right side of the line. Remember we got our LG in FA. He is the second best G in the draft....is that really so bad? Iupati is amazing, but he just doesn't play a position important enough to pass on an elite edge rusher and the best playmaking RB in the draft with top end speed. So we get the next best thing with Asamoah.
3. Jason Fox / Kyle Calloway RT - Taking a RT here in the third round gives us great value for this position. Fox was once a second round prospect but had some issue (I forgot what it was), and could be there in the third i think (OTC correct me if I am wrong about this). Calloway had a great bowl game at RT for Iowa, and I believe our new O-line coaches can coach him up to become a starter for us relatively soon. Saffold would be another option here as well. Basically, we can get a decent RT here to start for us. Maybe not the best in the draft, but good enough to not pass on Spiller and Graham in the first round. Competes with Pashos.
3. Nate Allen FS / Robert Johnson FS / Reshad Jones SS - Basically, with our extra third we take the best safety prospect available, whether it be SS or free safety, as Goldson has the ability to move to SS IMO. I would LOVE to get Nate Allen here, as I believe he could be the ballhawking FS we have been wanting for a long time.
4. Chris Cook CB - Depth here at corner, and looked really good during Senior Bowl practices this week. He is a tall corner as well, at almost 6'2 and 212 lbs. The 49ers were said to have shown an interest in him as well during Senior Bowl week.
5. Marcus Easly WR - OTC really likes this guy, and is close to 6'4 215 lbs and runs 4.4 forty. Could develop into the speed guy we need.
6. Jeff Byars OG - The niners have shown some interest this week at the Senior Bowl in this G from USC. Smaller G good within the zone blocking scheme, good depth on the line. Has looked pretty good this week.
7. Chris Martinelli RT - Depth at RT behind our 3rd round pick and competes with Snyder and Boone for backup at RT.
If there is an emergency at RT during the season, we can always move Staley over to RT if needed, as Sims played outstanding at LT last year in relief of Staley.
QB: Smith, Davis, Hill
RB: Gore, Spiller, Coffee, Robinson, Norris
WR: Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, Easley
TE: Davis, Walker
OL: Staley, FA Guard, Heitmann, Asomoah, Fox/Calloway
Sims, Bass, Wallace, Rachal, Martinelli/Boone/Pashos, Wragge, Byars
DL: Soap, Franklin, Smith, Balmer, McDonald, Jean-Francois
LB: Graham, Willis, Spikes, Brooks
Haralson, McKillop, Lawson, Briggs
DB: Clements, Spencer, Brown, Bly, Cook, Allen/Jones, Goldson, Lewis, Smith, Taylor
KR/PR: Spiller, Hixon
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Jan 30, 2010 at 6:20 PM ]