There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

McShay: Guard Iupati might be a first-round reach for Niners

Originally posted by DesiDez:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?pos=G&round_1=1&round_2=1&tm=all&year_1=1967&year_2=2009&conference=any&type=

The link above shows the earliest drafted guard in the 1st rd.

17 is a perfect spot for Iupati

Weren't most of the guards drafted this high converted to OT?
Originally posted by thejackal25:
This guy is likely one of the most sure things in this draft. After Suh and Berry, I feel like you can make the argument that Iupati is the most likely to have immediate and long term success in the NFL. You don't pass on someone that appears to be this much of a sure thing b/c his position indicates he should be slotted a few picks later.

How can you say he's one of the surest things in the draft? He played at a smaller school and struggles whenever at a position other than LG.

Its also said that he can't block without holding...

Don't get me wrong, I like Iupati as a run-blocking guard and think he will be very good.

But the Iupati-mania around here is overboard.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
This guy is likely one of the most sure things in this draft. After Suh and Berry, I feel like you can make the argument that Iupati is the most likely to have immediate and long term success in the NFL. You don't pass on someone that appears to be this much of a sure thing b/c his position indicates he should be slotted a few picks later.

How can you say he's one of the surest things in the draft? He played at a smaller school and struggles whenever at a position other than LG.

Don't get me wrong, I like Iupati as a run-blocking guard and think he will be very good.

Jesus, give it up. They didn't Bulaga, get over it.

We got what we got, we will see what happens.
Originally posted by j3xperience:

I didn't mention Bulaga.

I jsut think its bulls**t to say that Iupati is one of the safest picks in the draft.
Todd McGay strikes again! He seriously has it out for the 49ers because we draft differently than he mocks.

I didn't mention Bulaga.

I jsut think its bulls**t to say that Iupati is one of the safest picks in the draft.

We all know that you both Davis and Bulaga. We know that is what you are going to revert back to saying. Its over with. Iupati>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bulaga at OG
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

I didn't mention Bulaga.

We all know that you both Davis and Bulaga. We know that is what you are going to revert back to saying. Its over with. Iupati>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bulaga at OG

So you think that 'Iupati is one of the safest picks in the draft'?
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Todd McGay strikes again! He seriously has it out for the 49ers because we draft differently than he mocks.

this was after the season ended when they started with the mocks....he was talking about him as an OT. Obviously he will never be a OT. So the point is moot.

I didn't mention Bulaga.

So you think that 'Iupati is one of the safest picks in the draft'?

Getting what everyone agrees to be a perennial pro bowler at 17, absolutely is the safest pick. He was the top OG to come out since Steve Hutchinson. Getting a OG at the spot we got him falls in line. Im exstatic!
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

this was after the season ended when they started with the mocks....he was talking about him as an OT. Obviously he will never be a OT. So the point is moot.

Oh... Well, still. f**k Todd McShay. On NFL Live's coverage of the NFC West he said that our Anthony Davis pick was a reach are you f**king kidding me? 2 spots? He's gayer than aids.

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Apr 29, 2010 at 11:30:03 ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Iupati probably was a slight reach, but considering our team needs and our goal to have a top tier OL, reaching made sense. And considering that PIT would have almost definitely picked him at #17, it wasn't like you could trade down and get him later. If 2 teams would pick a player at #17, is it still a reach?
If people look at the original post, it is referencing something McShay WROTE IN JANUARY of this year.

This thread is misleading and needs to be closed.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Apr 29, 2010 at 12:27:36 ]
Originally posted by DesiDez:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?pos=G&round_1=1&round_2=1&tm=all&year_1=1967&year_2=2009&conference=any&type=

The link above shows the earliest drafted guard in the 1st rd.

17 is a perfect spot for Iupati

Weren't most of the guards drafted this high converted to OT?

No! Majority remain at guard, only a hand full have been and even less have suceeded.

As far as safe pick and reaching, EVERYBODY can be considered a reach or unsafe to some degree until their career is done.

While Iuapati came from a school that is not BCS, you cannot judge on that only. However he did play at Division I level. Larry Allen and a host of others have come from small schools and suceeded big time. By harping on this as one of your arguments you are narrowing your self by showing how little you understand the game. Problem with big schools sometimes is that they are surrounded by talent that can hide their flaws. As for the other argument about he holds-EVERYBODY holds-you just have to hide it better. Plus Iowa ain't known for extraordinary OL, decent but not extrordinary.

The niners addressesed what they not you wanted a RT and LG! I always hated the concept of taking a talented athlete and trying to convert the person into another position because the niners have not done well in this area, when they stuck to a player playing his position then they came away okay or great.

They didn't need two tackles, as a guard Buluga will be just ordinary compared to Iupati. As a safe pick Iupati is safer then Baluga at guard. Plus they wanted maulers. With that said the niners would have taken Baluga at tackle if Davis was gone. But it is done, get over it. the more you harp over this the more people will harp on you.
Not all top recruits go to the biggest schools. There are a large numbers of great athletes that just don,t have the grades or the money to attend a major university. Many end up in smaller colleges with inferior coaching but still stand out enough to be noticed by scouts. Mike Iupati is such a player. He may not have attended a BCS school but he dominated everyone across the line of scrimmage in his own conference. Judging Iupati as a player on the basis of his schools prominence lacks merit. Talent is talent no matter where it comes from!
Iupati was a Prop 48 guy by the way, so he couldnt get into any big school.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home