There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

McShay: Guard Iupati might be a first-round reach for Niners

Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Man, he already looks good to some at ROT, very solid in fact. And Iupati played ROT, what? one day? One day? OK so he's not a LOT. So what! Last I looked, we were looking for a ROT.

Imagine what he could do with an off-season under Solari and Brown's coaching!

Imagine if all Iupati ever became was a perennial pro bowl guard.. Last time I checked we didn't have any of those..

This guy is a beast.. he is apparently blowing up the senior bowl to the point that everyone is talking about him..

I know you're on board, but some people have it stuck in their head that a guard isn't worth a mid 1st rounder. Maybe an ordinary guard prospect, but Iupati is far from ordinary..

We'll finally convert those pesky 3rd and 1's!!!! Run Gore behind his arse!

While taking Suh down! Now that is what I am talkin' 'bout Willis!!!!
I don't get it!! McShay admitted he would start right away at guard at play at a pro-bowl level. So WHY is everyone trying to make him a tackle?? Leave him at guard and let him do what he is good at. And if he is going to start right away and play at a pro bowl level I would be more than willing to pick him at 17, and I wouldn't feel like it would be a reach. Stop trying to make him a tackle, which he would be mediocre at, and leave him at what he IS good at -- VERY good!!

Who here would be upset getting a pro bowl guard with a #17 overall pick??? I definately would not be.
[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:34 PM ]
f**k it we don't have any beastly guards. Trying to change his position to what we need is a bunch of bulls**t and we've gotten burned in the past trying to do so. KEEP HIM AT LEFT GUARD IF WE PICK HIM, AND DON'T CONSIDER IT A REACH IF HE TURNS OUT TO BE A PRO BOWL OLINEMAN. BECAUSE THOSE ARE HARD TO GET, AND WORTH THEIR LARGE ASS WEIGHT IN GOLD. Okay?

I'm not even the biggest Iupati fan but he' is a good guard and Baas pissed me off so badly at times last year I wouldn't definitely be happy with an upgrade like Iupati.
I don't know, if he's going to be one of the best guards in the league does it matter if we "reach"? Are we going to be saying "man iupati is a beast but I'm still pissed we didn't trade down for him"?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
f**k it we don't have any beastly guards. Trying to change his position to what we need is a bunch of bulls**t and we've gotten burned in the past trying to do so. KEEP HIM AT LEFT GUARD IF WE PICK HIM, AND DON'T CONSIDER IT A REACH IF HE TURNS OUT TO BE A PRO BOWL OLINEMAN. BECAUSE THOSE ARE HARD TO GET, AND WORTH THEIR LARGE ASS WEIGHT IN GOLD. Okay?

I'm not even the biggest Iupati fan but he' is a good guard and Baas pissed me off so badly at times last year I wouldn't definitely be happy with an upgrade like Iupati.

Rachal is a stud and will be a great guard for the future. Baas is ok--we could definitely use an upgrade but he would make a good backup. We need a stud RT and a guard to replace Baas. We can get the guard in the second if we need to, but the tackle we need in the first.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Rachal is a stud and will be a great guard for the future. Baas is ok--we could definitely use an upgrade but he would make a good backup. We need a stud RT and a guard to replace Baas. We can get the guard in the second if we need to, but the tackle we need in the first.

I agree. RT is the priority and Rachal will develop into a great guard.
i'll take him at 16 or 17 unless a miracle of someone who had absolutley no business of falling to us falls and i'll keep him and guard and watch him make huge lanes for gore and god willing spiller run through all day since raye loves to run inside all day
I think it comes down to what's really the most glaring weakness. If we take a RT at 13 and he's still on the board at 16/17, I can't see why not.

If we take Spiller at 13 and there is a tackle and Iupati on the board, who do they take? Do they wait until the 2nd round to get a tackle? Or do they wait to get a guard? Is he a can't-miss prospect at 16/17?

It's a lot to think about. I think things will definitely clear up after the combine and FA begins.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it. "reach" for iupati at #17 and you get a pro-bowl caliber guard
I wounldnt wait till the 2nd or 3rd to grab a top OT, its our greatest weakness i would grab an OT with 13th pick and grab Iupati or Cj Spiller if there still available
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I think it comes down to what's really the most glaring weakness. If we take a RT at 13 and he's still on the board at 16/17, I can't see why not.

If we take Spiller at 13 and there is a tackle and Iupati on the board, who do they take? Do they wait until the 2nd round to get a tackle? Or do they wait to get a guard? Is he a can't-miss prospect at 16/17?

It's a lot to think about. I think things will definitely clear up after the combine and FA begins.

thats is a no brainer

You Take Iupati

The guy MIGHT BE your bad ass right tackle. HE has the build and IS a world class Guard prospect....

IF he does not work at tackle in the NFL

You STILL HAVE your world class guard prospect....

You take a Protoype Tackle in the 2nd...he is probably going to be too damn big to move in to a guard slot....so if the tackle fails...you are out hunting another tackle anyway.

The guy has Flexability were he can probably fill one whole or the other....

Even if he is AVERAGE at right tackle....

That is FAR better then what we have RIGHT NOW ON THE ROSTER...

To ME that is ADDED value.....

IF the team finds another RT....so be it... You still have a GREAT guard prospect....

I wish the 49ers were always in position to pick up blue chip players....
McShay =

It's very simple. If there is an OT we fall in love with take him at 13. If Iupati is still there at 17 then we take him. If there are two or three OT's we like and one of them will still be there at 17 we wait to 17 to pick the OT and we take Iupati at 13. It's funny to me how people get so caught up in so call value. I never heard anyone on ESPN or NFL Channel talk about how this player is a baller, but team X shouldn't have drafted him until a later round. The only think I ever hear is how did this player fall so far and players X, Y, & Z were all taken before him.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

He is a guard stop trying to make him a tackle. We draft Iupati and an OT in the first round. We take a FS in the second and a KR in the 3rd if the guy from Old Miss is still on the board.

thats is a no brainer

You Take Iupati

The guy MIGHT BE your bad ass right tackle. HE has the build and IS a world class Guard prospect....

IF he does not work at tackle in the NFL

You STILL HAVE your world class guard prospect....

You take a Protoype Tackle in the 2nd...he is probably going to be too damn big to move in to a guard slot....so if the tackle fails...you are out hunting another tackle anyway.

The guy has Flexability were he can probably fill one whole or the other....

Even if he is AVERAGE at right tackle....

That is FAR better then what we have RIGHT NOW ON THE ROSTER...

To ME that is ADDED value.....

IF the team finds another RT....so be it... You still have a GREAT guard prospect....

I wish the 49ers were always in position to pick up blue chip players....
Mayock, who's opinion I value more, said that he's a top twenty pick today.

Good enough for me!

J/K, but finally a top analyst agrees with the Zone!