There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

McShay: Guard Iupati might be a first-round reach for Niners

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/01/mcshay-guard-iu.html

Todd McShay: "It's hard because I'm struggling to decipher whether he can actually play tackle in the NFL. Here's the thing: I think he can be an absolutely dominant guard, and they moved him out to left tackle in one point in practice. From the right side to the left side and going from inside (the offensive line) to outside, you're asking the guy to make two moves in terms of footwork and the side of the ball and being asked to be on the perimeter. He struggled in that aspect of it. But every other thing he did this week - I think he was arguably the most dominant lineman here. And I do think he could step in right away and start at guard in the NFL and be perennial Pro Bowl player. I just don't know whether he's going to be a great fit at tackle. That's the reason I would hesitate to say he's definitely in the middle of the first, but I could definitely see him 22-32 - somewhere in that range. And if you're only looking for a tackle, then you've got to make that decision if you feel strongly about it. But I would say right tackle would probably be as far as I would go."
[ Edited by valrod33 on Jan 28, 2010 at 3:24 PM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
This is why I don't think he ends up a Niner.

McC doesn't think highly of guards and if Iupati can't play RT he will wait to draft a guard in the 2nd
So if at this time his top range is #22 and we are at #17, we reach, what? five spots?

Holy crap that's is one hell of a serious reach.

Originally posted by ninertico:
So if at this time his top range is #22 and we are at #17, we reach, what? five spots?

x2
Since when did good players become a 'reach'?

If Montana were supposed to go in the 5th but went in the 3rd, was that a reach? If Rice was supposed to be in the 2nd and he got picked in the 1st, was that a reach?

Just draft good players and let their play speak for themselves.
[ Edited by DarthNiner on Jan 28, 2010 at 3:31 PM ]

Originally posted by valrod33:
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/01/mcshay-guard-iu.html

Todd McShay: "It's hard because I'm struggling to decipher whether he can actually play tackle in the NFL. Here's the thing: I think he can be an absolutely dominant guard, and they moved him out to left tackle in one point in practice. From the right side to the left side and going from inside (the offensive line) to outside, you're asking the guy to make two moves in terms of footwork and the side of the ball and being asked to be on the perimeter. He struggled in that aspect of it. But every other thing he did this week - I think he was arguably the most dominant lineman here. And I do think he could step in right away and start at guard in the NFL and be perennial Pro Bowl player. I just don't know whether he's going to be a great fit at tackle. That's the reason I would hesitate to say he's definitely in the middle of the first, but I could definitely see him 22-32 - somewhere in that range. And if you're only looking for a tackle, then you've got to make that decision if you feel strongly about it. But I would say right tackle would probably be as far as I would go."

McShay will come around and so will every other draft pundit. After the combine Iupati will be on everyones mock, and it won't be as a 2nd rounder. McShay is basing this opinion on watching the coaches move him around in practices, from ROT ot LOT.. Of course he is not going to look stellar at OT.. He just hasn't had enough reps.. And in the end if all he ever ends up being is a perennial pro bowl guard. What is wrong with that?? It's not like our roster is filled with pro bowl guards.

We don't know what Scotty thinks about guards.. All we really know is that he didn't resign Smiley. Iupati from all accounts is in a whole different classification and should not be evaluated as a run of the mill guard. Hopefully Scotty is in Mobile and seeing this in person and getting earful from Solari, Sing and Brown.

Scotty, Are you listening.

I really hope that is how he grades out when all is said and done. That way we can do true OT at 13 and grab him at 16/17. With that and the coaching changes, our line (and O) is fixed and we can grab a playmaker/pass rusher in the second and hopefully McCluster makes it to the third.

Or in a dream world, we trade back with the Pat or someone to end up with a later first and two seconds so we can still take Iupati and a OT in the first and have two second rounders to grab a playmaker/KR AND a pass rusher in round 2!

How is that a reach. It's McShay who places him at 22 , not NFL scouts or GM's.
Originally posted by kronik:

How is that a reach. It's McShay who places him at 22 , not NFL scouts or GM's.Honestly, I could care less what people like McShay and Kiper rank him at. They don't represent the NFL GM's.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by valrod33:

McShay will come around and so will every other draft pundit. After the combine Iupati will be on everyones mock, and it won't be as a 2nd rounder. McShay is basing this opinion on watching the coaches move him around in practices, from ROT ot LOT.. Of course he is not going to look stellar at OT.. He just hasn't had enough reps.. And in the end if all he ever ends up being is a perennial pro bowl guard. What is wrong with that?? It's not like our roster is filled with pro bowl guards.

We don't know what Scotty thinks about guards.. All we really know is that he didn't resign Smiley. Iupati from all accounts is in a whole different classification and should not be evaluated as a run of the mill guard. Hopefully Scotty is in Mobile and seeing this in person and getting earful from Solari, Sing and Brown.

Scotty, Are you listening.

I hope Solari and Brown have a huge say in who the GM should draft re: OL.
Man, he already looks good to some at ROT, very solid in fact. And Iupati played ROT, what? one day? One day? OK so he's not a LOT. So what! Last I looked, we were looking for a ROT.

Imagine what he could do with an off-season under Solari and Brown's coaching!
Man, he already looks good to some at ROT, very solid in fact. And Iupati played ROT, what? one day? One day? OK so he's not a LOT. So what! Last I looked, we were looking for a ROT.

Imagine if all Iupati ever became was a perennial pro bowl guard.. Last time I checked we didn't have any of those..

This guy is a beast.. he is apparently blowing up the senior bowl to the point that everyone is talking about him..

I know you're on board, but some people have it stuck in their head that a guard isn't worth a mid 1st rounder. Maybe an ordinary guard prospect, but Iupati is far from ordinary..
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Imagine if all Iupati ever became was a perennial pro bowl guard.. Last time I checked we didn't have any of those..

This guy is a beast.. he is apparently blowing up the senior bowl to the point that everyone is talking about him..

I know you're on board, but some people have it stuck in their head that a guard isn't worth a mid 1st rounder. Maybe an ordinary guard prospect, but Iupati is far from ordinary..

We'll finally convert those pesky 3rd and 1's!!!! Run Gore behind his arse!
McShay States:

"But every other thing he did this week - I think he was arguably the most dominant lineman here. And I do think he could step in right away and start at guard in the NFL and be perennial Pro Bowl player."

If he is a perenennial Pro Bowl player, then is it really a reach at 17? That statement does not make sense. Our OL was porous at the OG and RT spots. If we choose a RT at 13, and have a perenial pro bowl OG for 17 shows it is not a reach. If we do that and get a Jacoby Ford or Dexter McCluster in the second and would make a really nice draft and then SS Myron Rolle in the third would really make a nice draft.