LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

The answer is Dexter McCluster

I'm exceptionally doubtful that McCluster goes in the first round. In order for that to happen, I believe Dexter would have to clock in the low 4.3's and show some sort of strength.

DeSean was not just exceptionally fast, he showed surprising blocking ability in addition to his all around proven kick return ability. At this point, I do not believe McCluster sneaks into the 1st. Just can't see it happening.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by nj49erfan:
Originally posted by krizay:
I for one think he is the answer. More so than Spiller. He can add the same potential with 5ish carries. With McCluster IMO being the better of the 2 as a receiver. Thus allowing him to actually be on the field more. Then add in the fact we can get him 32ish picks later we get more bang for our buck.

The only thing Spiller has on McCluster is he can carry the load if something happened to Frank. But with Coffee, McC could still fill his same role if Frank isn't in the lineup.

Not so sure about that. With what he's doing at the senior bowl and after his combine performance (likely to only increase his already skyrocketing stock), I can see McCluster sneaking into the late 1st...very early 2nd at the latest.

2 Thoughts here:

1. Spiller is bigger, faster and scored more TD's on special teams and on offense this year so how is it that McCluster has everything on Spiller?

2. Don't believe everything you hear during Senior Bowl week. McCluster is not going in Round 1. Never going to happen. No one drafts a special teamer in RD 1. There are a couple of running backs that need to get taken before McCluster gets a sniff.

I have 2 thoughts:

1.) I'm a huge fan of Spiller, so I'm not sure why you're asking me "how is it that McCluster has everything on Spiller?" I don't believe that McCluster has anything on Spiller (and that's no knock on Dexter), with the possible exception of being able to play more slot WR (even that is somewhat debatable, but I'll give the edge to McC). IMO, Spiller is clearly the better overall prospect than McCluster so I'm not sure why you would ask me that question.

2.) Don't be so sure about McCluster...you might see him as a special teamer, but I can guarantee you that a lot of personnel people see him more as a Desean Jackson-type of playmaker, in the passing game mostly, but also in the run game on occasion, running the wildcat and also on special teams. He's a multi-dimensional offensive threat and much, much more than just a special teamer. Because of that, he could easily go in the late 1st/early 2nd.

I've watched McCluster plenty this season (SEC BABY!). But, I am not sure of him as a running back, which was where he was the most dangerous this year. What about as WR? Or does playing that position negate some of his speed?
I would take Spiller over McCluster, even thou McCluster is having a good week at the Senior Bowl. He also had a nice season as did Spiller who was the only player to score in every game this season.
Looks like McCluster throws a pretty nice pass.

I can see a wildcat loving team being all over this guy.

• nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
I for one think he is the answer. More so than Spiller. He can add the same potential with 5ish carries. With McCluster IMO being the better of the 2 as a receiver. Thus allowing him to actually be on the field more. Then add in the fact we can get him 32ish picks later we get more bang for our buck.

The only thing Spiller has on McCluster is he can carry the load if something happened to Frank. But with Coffee, McC could still fill his same role if Frank isn't in the lineup.

Not so sure about that. With what he's doing at the senior bowl and after his combine performance (likely to only increase his already skyrocketing stock), I can see McCluster sneaking into the late 1st...very early 2nd at the latest.

2 Thoughts here:

1. Spiller is bigger, faster and scored more TD's on special teams and on offense this year so how is it that McCluster has everything on Spiller?

2. Don't believe everything you hear during Senior Bowl week. McCluster is not going in Round 1. Never going to happen. No one drafts a special teamer in RD 1. There are a couple of running backs that need to get taken before McCluster gets a sniff.

I have 2 thoughts:

1.) I'm a huge fan of Spiller, so I'm not sure why you're asking me "how is it that McCluster has everything on Spiller?" I don't believe that McCluster has anything on Spiller (and that's no knock on Dexter), with the possible exception of being able to play more slot WR (even that is somewhat debatable, but I'll give the edge to McC). IMO, Spiller is clearly the better overall prospect than McCluster so I'm not sure why you would ask me that question.

2.) Don't be so sure about McCluster...you might see him as a special teamer, but I can guarantee you that a lot of personnel people see him more as a Desean Jackson-type of playmaker, in the passing game mostly, but also in the run game on occasion, running the wildcat and also on special teams. He's a multi-dimensional offensive threat and much, much more than just a special teamer. Because of that, he could easily go in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Sorry Ghost I should have been clear. My first thought was directed at Krizay as he was the one that made the comment that Spiller has nothing on McCluster except the fact that he can be a starting tailback (which the last time I checked was important when drafting in the first couple of rounds).

I quoted you because I don't think there is a chance in hell McCluster goes in round 1. Obviously I am not a scout or anything so I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet any amount of money. This happens every year at the senior bowl and yes McCluster, with a good game, can make sure he is def a second rounder there is just no way he goes in round 1. We shall see though.

2 Thoughts here:

I have 2 thoughts:

Sorry Ghost I should have been clear. My first thought was directed at Krizay as he was the one that made the comment that Spiller has nothing on McCluster except the fact that he can be a starting tailback (which the last time I checked was important when drafting in the first couple of rounds).

I quoted you because I don't think there is a chance in hell McCluster goes in round 1. Obviously I am not a scout or anything so I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet any amount of money. This happens every year at the senior bowl and yes McCluster, with a good game, can make sure he is def a second rounder there is just no way he goes in round 1. We shall see though.

If he runs a 4.3 he will be a no question first rounder. As MM said in his article he is this year Percy Harvin without the migraine issues.
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

2 Thoughts here:

I have 2 thoughts:

If he runs a 4.3 he will be a no question first rounder. As MM said in his article he is this year Percy Harvin without the migraine issues.

I'll bet you he does not go in round 1 no matter what he runs...

2 Thoughts here:

I have 2 thoughts:

I'll bet you he does not go in round 1 no matter what he runs...

Sounds good. Last year people doubted me about BJ Raji and I was right and BEFORE the Senior bowl people we knocking me for thinking he is a early second rounder. Now the tides have changed and due to his skill set and speed, he can be a first rounder no doubt.
I've been in the McCluster camp for a while now...but the reason I liked him even more is because I thought we could grab him in the 3rd round. Taking him in the 2nd round imo is too early...just like grabbing Spiller in the first is too early imo.

Spiller is getting way too much hype here. The guy is fast as hell and is a very good return guy but his running style is too predictable. The guy runs soft inside. McCluster is smaller but runs harder.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
I've been in the McCluster camp for a while now...but the reason I liked him even more is because I thought we could grab him in the 3rd round. Taking him in the 2nd round imo is too early...just like grabbing Spiller in the first is too early imo.

Spiller is getting way too much hype here. The guy is fast as hell and is a very good return guy but his running style is too predictable. The guy runs soft inside. McCluster is smaller but runs harder.

I think McCluster fits exactly what we need. But agree with you on Spiller. He seems like Willie Parker to me. Stuff, stuff, Boom. Stuff, Stuff, Boom. From the games I watched anyway.

Definitely don't think he deserves all the talk hype he's getting. Not saying he isn't good or shouldn't be the 1st back off the board. Just think McCluster fills exactly what we need.

I think I may prefer McCluster more than Spiller
Originally posted by teeohh:

I'll take either.

I'll take either.

Im right there with you. I really hope we get one of them.
I think McCluster is a better value for what we need in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'd rather use our other 1st round pick to address the secondary or guard position.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I'll take either.

Im right there with you. I really hope we get one of them.

Share 49ersWebzone