There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does anyone actually believe we'll draft Iupati?

  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NinerGM:

It will be very, very easy to keep Baas and Scott has expressed his personal doubts in Baas' ability to start. I read that clearly as Scott being open to an upgrade here, possibly in the 1st because we have 2 picks, and because of the pressure for him to succeed this off-season.

Baas would be a great backup (far better than Wragge IMO). Rachal turned into a stud guard the last half of the season. We get a new LG and a new RT and we're set on O-line.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,924
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think Scotty knows the heat is on. He must have a successful off-season to keep the heat off. Singletary has made hires that bring a lot of credibility to the coaching of the OL, so if this group again falls flat or talent becomes major question, Scotty will be the odd man out.

That being said, there's a strong possibility we take Iupati AND keep Baas only because the Collective Bargaining Agreement officially makes Baas a RFA, so if say Dallas wants him they'll have to offer a 2nd round pick for him I believe and I doubt any team would be willing to give up anything higher than a 4th for a player that hasn't shown much, what he's shown hasn't been that great, and has a injury history. Baas isn't like Kosier whom compensation was not required.

It will be very, very easy to keep Baas and Scott has expressed his personal doubts in Baas' ability to start. I read that clearly as Scott being open to an upgrade here, possibly in the 1st because we have 2 picks, and because of the pressure for him to succeed this off-season.

That's true but we can still trade him after April 17th for less compensation. If your situation was to be the case. If that's the route we want to take.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think Scotty knows the heat is on. He must have a successful off-season to keep the heat off. Singletary has made hires that bring a lot of credibility to the coaching of the OL, so if this group again falls flat or talent becomes major question, Scotty will be the odd man out.

That being said, there's a strong possibility we take Iupati AND keep Baas only because the Collective Bargaining Agreement officially makes Baas a RFA, so if say Dallas wants him they'll have to offer a 2nd round pick for him I believe and I doubt any team would be willing to give up anything higher than a 4th for a player that hasn't shown much, what he's shown hasn't been that great, and has a injury history. Baas isn't like Kosier whom compensation was not required.

It will be very, very easy to keep Baas and Scott has expressed his personal doubts in Baas' ability to start. I read that clearly as Scott being open to an upgrade here, possibly in the 1st because we have 2 picks, and because of the pressure for him to succeed this off-season.

That's true but we can still trade him after April 17th for less compensation. If your situation was to be the case. If that's the route we want to take.

Why would you trade him for less compensation when there's absolutely no real depth at OG on the team? Baas will come cheap and at value versus saving a couple hundred thousand between what you would re-sign him at and a UFA or cast-off from another team. As bad as the line played, it would seem there's little faith in Wragge because he couldn't get on the field. A power rushing team should have more OG than OTs on the roster. We have only 3 including our starters. Snyder can play OG, but he's certainly not a mauler.

I think you're right krazy about the options, I'm just wondering why Scott would do that ... that's all.
By the way guys, how does Iupati compare to lets say...Leonard Davis who was picked at #2 by the Cards in 2001 and started him at OG for three years before switching over to tackle?

or Brandon Albert (#15, 2008, KC) or Kyle Turley (#7, 1998, NO)?

Thanks guys...
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,924
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think Scotty knows the heat is on. He must have a successful off-season to keep the heat off. Singletary has made hires that bring a lot of credibility to the coaching of the OL, so if this group again falls flat or talent becomes major question, Scotty will be the odd man out.

That being said, there's a strong possibility we take Iupati AND keep Baas only because the Collective Bargaining Agreement officially makes Baas a RFA, so if say Dallas wants him they'll have to offer a 2nd round pick for him I believe and I doubt any team would be willing to give up anything higher than a 4th for a player that hasn't shown much, what he's shown hasn't been that great, and has a injury history. Baas isn't like Kosier whom compensation was not required.

It will be very, very easy to keep Baas and Scott has expressed his personal doubts in Baas' ability to start. I read that clearly as Scott being open to an upgrade here, possibly in the 1st because we have 2 picks, and because of the pressure for him to succeed this off-season.

That's true but we can still trade him after April 17th for less compensation. If your situation was to be the case. If that's the route we want to take.

Why would you trade him for less compensation when there's absolutely no real depth at OG on the team? Baas will come cheap and at value versus saving a couple hundred thousand between what you would re-sign him at and a UFA or cast-off from another team. As bad as the line played, it would seem there's little faith in Wragge because he couldn't get on the field. A power rushing team should have more OG than OTs on the roster. We have only 3 including our starters. Snyder can play OG, but he's certainly not a mauler.

I think you're right krazy about the options, I'm just wondering why Scott would do that ... that's all.

I likely wouldn't either. but the only reason I would even seeing being a reason is if we didn't want him and stand to lose him after 010. Then might as well get something for him.

It's personally my believe if you don't like a player as a starter. You shouldn't like him as a backup. Unless of course it's one of those situational type guys.

If Scotty has expressed his doubts about him. I could see him settling for less compensation if it came down to that. Right, wrong or otherwise.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I sure hope so.. This is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Draft him and Bulaga and OL is fixed. Our running game is improved.. Alex stays upright. It's all good.

Scotty, are you listening??

I concur.... The idea of drafting both an OG and OT together in the first round creates synergy and actually increases the value of both picks. Individually, either Iupati or Bulaga would improve our o-line and offense substantially, but together, the productivity is magnified exponentially and we are able to completely write off the o-line as an area of need for the next decade. There is also added points for the peace of mind created by this move - .

Then follow those picks up with Hughes / Graham at our next selection (trade-up will likely be needed) and Jacoby Ford (this year's Eddie Royal) in the 3rd.

1a. Bryan Bulaga (OT)
1b. Mike Iupati (OG)
2. Jerry Hughes / Brandon Graham (OLB)
3. Jacoby Ford (WR & KR/PR)


Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...
[ Edited by abowers1984 on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:56 PM ]
There's not a single ot worth the 13th pick, but there is the second best olinemen on the board and it happens to be a guard. Actually the only player i consider would be osu lt but he won't slip. all the other tackles are second rate guys i'd rather take the future probowler then see who's on the board when we pick at 16/17 or who ever feel to the second round. also think Bryan Bulaga will be the best fit for are zone blocking we plan to implement.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jan 29, 2010 at 12:25 AM ]
I can see it now if the rams draft Suh and we ended up drafting Iupati in the first thats going to be one hell of match up for years to come
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I sure hope so.. This is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Draft him and Bulaga and OL is fixed. Our running game is improved.. Alex stays upright. It's all good.

Scotty, are you listening??

I concur.... The idea of drafting both an OG and OT together in the first round creates synergy and actually increases the value of both picks. Individually, either Iupati or Bulaga would improve our o-line and offense substantially, but together, the productivity is magnified exponentially and we are able to completely write off the o-line as an area of need for the next decade. There is also added points for the peace of mind created by this move - .

Then follow those picks up with Hughes / Graham at our next selection (trade-up will likely be needed) and Jacoby Ford (this year's Eddie Royal) in the 3rd.

1a. Bryan Bulaga (OT)
1b. Mike Iupati (OG)
2. Jerry Hughes / Brandon Graham (OLB)
3. Jacoby Ford (WR & KR/PR)


Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...

i like it!
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I sure hope so.. This is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Draft him and Bulaga and OL is fixed. Our running game is improved.. Alex stays upright. It's all good.

Scotty, are you listening??

I concur.... The idea of drafting both an OG and OT together in the first round creates synergy and actually increases the value of both picks. Individually, either Iupati or Bulaga would improve our o-line and offense substantially, but together, the productivity is magnified exponentially and we are able to completely write off the o-line as an area of need for the next decade. There is also added points for the peace of mind created by this move - .

Then follow those picks up with Hughes / Graham at our next selection (trade-up will likely be needed) and Jacoby Ford (this year's Eddie Royal) in the 3rd.

1a. Bryan Bulaga (OT)
1b. Mike Iupati (OG)
2. Jerry Hughes / Brandon Graham (OLB)
3. Jacoby Ford (WR & KR/PR)


Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...



Now that is a mock that I approve.. Write it down and run over to 4949 Centenial Blvd, Santa Clara... Attn: Scott M..

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I sure hope so.. This is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Draft him and Bulaga and OL is fixed. Our running game is improved.. Alex stays upright. It's all good.

Scotty, are you listening??

I concur.... The idea of drafting both an OG and OT together in the first round creates synergy and actually increases the value of both picks. Individually, either Iupati or Bulaga would improve our o-line and offense substantially, but together, the productivity is magnified exponentially and we are able to completely write off the o-line as an area of need for the next decade. There is also added points for the peace of mind created by this move - .

Then follow those picks up with Hughes / Graham at our next selection (trade-up will likely be needed) and Jacoby Ford (this year's Eddie Royal) in the 3rd.

1a. Bryan Bulaga (OT)
1b. Mike Iupati (OG)
2. Jerry Hughes / Brandon Graham (OLB)
3. Jacoby Ford (WR & KR/PR)


Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...



Now that is a mock that I approve.. Write it down and run over to 4949 Centenial Blvd, Santa Clara... Attn: Scott M..


Sorry guys, there is no way either Hughes or Graham will be there at #49, no way no how.

I am sorry I have to be like that.
Originally posted by 49ers1983:
I can see it now if the rams draft Suh and we ended up drafting Iupati in the first thats going to be one hell of match up for years to come

See the Iupati video in Matt Barrows' article today. It noted that Iupati had 807 plays without a sack. Mama! During video, I saw him pull to his right through the right guard hole and still had time to turn to his left on the other side of the line for a LB coming. Papa!