LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Trade Down from 13 to 22

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Stay where we're at and take our players, take the drama out of it.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Having close picks does help the cause to trade down. If Iupati, Davis, Bulaga are all on the board, it would be safe to trade down and select at least one of those players with the Panthers draft pick.

That was the way I was thinking about it too.

If we can trade down, fill needs with value picks, and pick up an extra second. Than we are a second round pick ahead, and we didn't reach.
Im on the Spiller bandwagon. IF he is there, take him. Worry about the OL with the 2nd first round pick and free agency.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by MertonHanks:
I don't know, the chances that 5 OTs go within the first 16 picks aren't that bad. That's not to say we wouldn't get a potentially great player, but I don't know that I'm willing to take that risk.

Remember a few years back when a run on OTs happened on the top of the 1st round? It's possible it might happen again this year.

You mean 2008. The Panthers and Falcons traded UP into the 20-25 range for Otah and Baker after Clady, Cherilus and Albert all went in between 10-20. Duane Brown was then a reach for Houston as they were desperate for an OT as well.

Yes it is very possible this year. Keep an eye on Dallas and Green Bay as 2 teams that may jump up for OT's as well as Detroit, Washington, Tampa, KC, Oakland and Buffalo moving up from the 2nd round depending on which direction they go in the first.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The Niners are not that far away from contending and they do not NEED any more picks. They have eight this year and that is plenty. Why would the Niners move back 9 spots when they have a chance to get an almost top 10 talent right where they are? That additional pick is meaningless.

You are right on the money!! If anything we should trade our 2nd and 3rd, worth a total of 600 points and get another pick in the 1st (#31).. We could get 3 starters and hopefully that would be 2 OL and 1 DB and presto we are in the playoffs.

Now that would be a bold move. I just don't know how the Niners front office and ownership would feel about paying three first round picks in the same season.

That's an angle I haven't though of before, but I don't think the Niners FO will do that. Judging from past history (which there isn't much of with McC), he seems to be the kind of guy to trade back, not up.

Trading back to 22 isn't really feasible anyway. That's New England and they have built a dynasty on 2nd and 3rd round picks (I think they have 3 second round picks in this year's draft). Seattle might be willing to trade their 1b up, but I'm loathe to trade a higher first round choice to a division rival.

New England could jump up, never ever discount them from doing anything like that. They could move up for Spiller, Bryant or McClain. Heck I wouldn't even discount them from possibly jumping up for Haden. Stockpiling picks like they do always puts you in a power position on draft day to move up if and when necessary, which is their case is not very often but they always have the ammo to make it happen (they also have Oakland's 2011 1st rounder).
IUPATI not Lupati
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
IUPATI not Lupati

Everyone will know how to spell it by the time the draft gets here.
Originally posted by mayo63:
IUPATI not Lupati

Agreed
Iupati = Eye-ooh-pat-ee

Talofa...!
IUPATI not Lupati

Do you really believe that?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by highway49:
Iupati = Eye-ooh-pat-ee

Talofa...!

Some say it this way.

Mike Iupati (E-U-Pot-tee)

[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 21, 2010 at 07:50:45 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
IUPATI not Lupati

Yeah.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 21, 2010 at 07:51:39 ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
IUPATI not Lupati

Yeah.

That may be the boldest draft prediction of them all.
I'm really hoping either Spiller or Haden will be there at 13 but I get the feeling that both will be gone.

I'm with you! Trade down from #13. I would be EXTREMELY happy with Iupata and Bulaga with our two first rounders. Somebody mentioned the Jets drafting two OL a few years ago and look what it's done for them.
I would rather the team try to trade its 1st next year to move back into 1st rd this year....Like what they did when they drafted Staley....NE is always looking to pick up picks in the next years draft, and it would give the niners 3 First RD picks....If they nailed those 3 picks we could be in for a great season
Share 49ersWebzone