There are 654 users in the forums

Need or BPA? Scot McCloughan's draft philosophy

Originally posted by KRS-1:
I hope for Scot McCloughan's sake that Spiller is off the board by 13 (and if he is not that he is gone before 16/17) because there will be a lot of backlash from Spiller's fanboy's that we passed on him. They will find it hard to believe that he was not the BPA on our board or that we drafted a greater need pick in his place. Everyone seems to think he is a lock to go in the top 20, however everyone sees things differently and has their own opinions and the 49ers draft board may not look anything close to the way you see it.

Guess we will see how high he is on the 49ers draft board depending on whether we get a valid return man on the team before the draft!
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
I hope for Scot McCloughan's sake that Spiller is off the board by 13 (and if he is not that he is gone before 16/17) because there will be a lot of backlash from Spiller's fanboy's that we passed on him. They will find it hard to believe that he was not the BPA on our board or that we drafted a greater need pick in his place. Everyone seems to think he is a lock to go in the top 20, however everyone sees things differently and has their own opinions and the 49ers draft board may not look anything close to the way you see it.

Guess we will see how high he is on the 49ers draft board depending on whether we get a valid return man on the team before the draft!

Even if we don't, that does not mean we will look to add a returner on day 1. That could be addressed on day 2, which would mean this site will likely be going ape s**t at the conclusion of the 2nd day (or 3rd round) if we have yet to address it or draft anyone with return skills.

I trust we will add a warm body with good return skills before it's all said and done, be it via FA or the draft, and whether it's in the first round (Spiller/Tate) or the 7th round or somewhere in between.
Well we have 1 fully Scott oriented draft to go by. With that in mind could someone make up a realistic Scott draft board? I know that some players he would not pick if they were available simply because they do not fit his philosophy nor fit his perceptions of need. So all TEs, will be off his board in the first round even if they were highly talented. QB is a question mark as well. Suh, of course would be high in his list because of talent, and because it would solve many an issue for his perceptions of the team. It would be virtually impossible to get Suh without mortgaging the team. So Suh would be on the list, like Crabtree was last year.

So what would be a top 50 of Mc's realistic picks?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Well we have 1 fully Scott oriented draft to go by. With that in mind could someone make up a realistic Scott draft board? I know that some players he would not pick if they were available simply because they do not fit his philosophy nor fit his perceptions of need. So all TEs, will be off his board in the first round even if they were highly talented. QB is a question mark as well. Suh, of course would be high in his list because of talent, and because it would solve many an issue for his perceptions of the team. It would be virtually impossible to get Suh without mortgaging the team. So Suh would be on the list, like Crabtree was last year.

You could also likely eliminate Brandon Graham and Eric Norwood as Scot has said it before, he looks for OLB's for the 3-4 to be at least 6-4 240lbs +. Last year we had a shot at an undersized guy in Everette Brown and we traded our chance for a 1st this year.

Parys Haralson is short for the position yes, however Nolan was the GM at that time not Scot.

You could also likely eliminate Brandon Graham and Eric Norwood as Scot has said it before, he looks for OLB's for the 3-4 to be at least 6-4 240lbs +. Last year we had a shot at an undersized guy in Everette Brown and we traded our chance for a 1st this year.

Parys Haralson is short for the position yes, however Nolan was the GM at that time not Scot.

Wish he would draft Brandon Graham He is a beast on the field!
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

I don't know about top 50, but here's my guess.

1a will be whichever "skill" player falls to us, in this order: Berry, McClain, Spiller.
1b will be the best offensive tackle on the board--probably Trent Williams

2nd round will be another skill player as well. Probably someone who can double on KR/PR. Arenas is a really good bet for here.

3rd round will be a guard.

4th round will be a WR

5th round might be a LB

6th round might be a QB or TE

7th round will be whichever didn't get picked in the 6th.

That's my predictions anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone