LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

Need or BPA? Scot McCloughan's draft philosophy

We may need offensive linemen and a kick returner, but...

Story by Steve Wyche at NFL.com, April 2009

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fe53bf

"It's best player," said 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan. "It's cliché, but it's the best player. Now, when I was with Green Bay, we had Brett Favre. We would never take a quarterback in the first round with Brett Favre in his prime. But 99 percent of the time, if you take the best player available you'll get the best bang for the buck for the long haul. There are 32 teams and not everybody has a roster they think is that good. You never have enough good football players."

"You have your philosophy and you have to stick with it," McCloughan said. "If you change year-in-and-year out, you're not building your organization the best way. Successful or not, you stick to the vision and add good young talent every year. That's why the draft is so important to building a consistent team."

[ Edited by Yetiman on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:48:22 ]
Spiller
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Spiller

Could be ...

Spiller

McCloughan wouldn't pick him in the 1st round unless he thought Spiller could be an every down back.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Spiller

McCloughan wouldn't pick him in the 1st round unless he thought Spiller could be an every down back.

BPA, he will grade out very high and in the mid teens he will be BPA

Scouts Inc
10. C.J. Spiller RB Clemson 95

Kiper 25 board
14. Spiller

Draft Scout
#5 Senior

He's the number 1 rated RB this year and he's a RETURN guy.

[ Edited by jreff22 on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:41:27 ]
His BPA philosophy is the reason we have a bunch of 'tweeners. They are talented but they don't all fit in whatever scheme we are running this week. I'm not against BPA if they either fit the system or if SM drafts the player while knowing of a team that covets the player and we get good value in trade.
Spiller

Scouts Inc

Kiper 25 board
14. Spiller

Draft Scout
#5 Senior

But there's no guarantee that he'll be BPA on the Niners draft board. NFL teams don't work off of ESPN or other websites, they do their own scouting, they make up their own boards.
Spiller

Scouts Inc

Kiper 25 board
14. Spiller

Draft Scout
#5 Senior

This is who I want !
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Spiller

Scouts Inc

Kiper 25 board
14. Spiller

Draft Scout
#5 Senior

But there's no guarantee that he'll be BPA on the Niners draft board. NFL teams don't work off of ESPN or other websites, they do their own scouting, they make up their own boards.

I know that.

My point is he is a highly rated prospect in many different circles. I would be shocked if he wasn't on our board in the mid teens. Once he runs his 40....he should be locked at 15ish. With Sing's comments about getting a return guy....it can happen.
Spiller

Scouts Inc

Kiper 25 board
14. Spiller

Draft Scout
#5 Senior

I know that.

My point is he is a highly rated prospect in many different circles. I would be shocked if he wasn't on our board in the mid teens. Once he runs his 40....he should be locked at 15ish. With Sing's comments about getting a return guy....it can happen.

Spiller

Scouts Inc

Kiper 25 board
14. Spiller

Draft Scout
#5 Senior

I know that.

Ok, then where is he projected?
  • tap11
  • Veteran
CJ Spiller is the most over rated player I have ever seen in terms of the webzone's yearly infatuations. Every year there is someone that zoners fall in love with, but usually that player makes some sense. Spiller is not particularly good between the tackles and Jimmy Raye doesn't have a play in his playbook that calls for a run outside of the tackles (except for reverses). In fact, Spiller's inconsistent play between the tackles might cause him to fall to the end of the first come draft day.
Originally posted by tap11:
CJ Spiller is the most over rated player I have ever seen in terms of the webzone's yearly infatuations. Every year there is someone that zoners fall in love with, but usually that player makes some sense. Spiller is not particularly good between the tackles and Jimmy Raye doesn't have a play in his playbook that calls for a run outside of the tackles (except for reverses). In fact, Spiller's inconsistent play between the tackles might cause him to fall to the end of the first come draft day.

Scoring five different ways, Spiller accounted for 21 touchdowns—11 rushing, four receiving, four on kickoff returns, one on a punt return and one passing. Nine of them were from greater than 50 yards. He recorded a touchdown in every game this year—the only college football player to do so.
I get the BPA thing, and I'm sure it's the right way to go most of the time.

But if you have the same needs every goddamn draft and you keep ignoring them because of your philosophy, and then continue losing games because of those unaddressed needs, then you need to change your philosophy.
Spiller

Scouts Inc

Kiper 25 board
14. Spiller

Draft Scout
#5 Senior

yup. Heyward-Bey was #1 overall on Al Davis' draft board, and they were happy he fell so low to the 7th spot where they snatched him up. stupid NFL
Share 49ersWebzone