LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 158 users in the forums

Terance Cody in the second round?

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
didn't they say that cody needs to lose 30 lbs to be an effective NT ?

Didn't they say Hampton had to gain 30 lbs to be an effective NT?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
didn't they say that cody needs to lose 30 lbs to be an effective NT ?

The dude weighed in at 370, he needs to lose at least 30 pounds. Maintaining that will be a constant issue for him.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by smileyman:

I think of D-linemen like BY/Sapp/Pat Williams/Randle/Wilfork/Haynesworth, and I don't remember them having numbers like Balmer. However I could be wrong...

Aubrayo Franklin didn't light it up until Nolan left last year. Prior to that he was an average NT. I'll do some research tonight on some of the others to see what I can find.

Right on Smiley, and like I said it's not that I don't believe you I just always hear these things (it takes D-linemen 2-3 years, or a player needs 2 full years after a ACL, etc).

OK, so here's the gold mine of information. I went through every team that runs a 3-4 in the NFL, grabbed their starting NT, and took a look at how long it was before they were a starter. Results varied wildly, but unless you're an exceptional talent it generally takes about 3 years to become a starter in the NFL.

Bryan Robinson (Arizona Cardinals)
Drafted in 1997. Didn't start until his 3rd year in the league.
3rd season

Ronald Fields (Denver Broncos)
Drafted in 2005. Started 9 games in 2006, was not retained in 2008 and is now a starter for the Broncos.
5th season

Casey Hampton (Steelers)
Drafted in 2001
Played 11 games the first year. Became a full time starter the 2nd year
2nd season

Kelly Gregg (Baltimore Ravens)
Drafted in 1999 by the Eagles. released after two years. Didn't start until 2002 and has been the starter since then.
4th season

Ahtyba Rubin (Cleveland Browns)
Drafted 2008. Didn't start any games in 2008. Started the last five games of 2009
2nd season

Ryan Pickett (Green Bay Packers)
Drafted 2001. Didn't start until 2002.
2nd season

Jay Ratliff (Dallas Cowboys)
Drafted 2005. Didn't start until 2007
3rd season

Ron Edwards (Kansas City Chiefs)
Drafted in 2001 by the Bills. Only started 3 games that year. Started his second year, but didn't start again until he was dealt to the chiefs in 2006.
6th season

Paul Soliai (Miami Dolphins)
Drafted in 2007. Didn't start until 2009 (only 5 games)
3rd season

Vince Wilfork (Patriots)
Drafted 2004. Only started 6 games. Became full time starter his 2nd year
2nd season

Kris Jenkins (New York Jets)
Drafted 2001. Started 11 games that year (in a 4-3).
1 season

Sione Pouha (New York Jets)
Got the starting job when Jenkins was hurt earlier this year. Drafted in 2005 and only started 1 game until this year.
5 seasons

Ian Scott (San Diego Chargers)
Drafted 2003. Didn't start any games that year. Started 13 games in '04, '05, 7 games in 05' zero in '08 and 7 in '09.
I'll be generous and say 2nd season

Aubrayo Franklin (San Francisco)
Drafted 2003 by the Ravens. Started 1 game in 4 years before being picked up by the Niners on 2007.
5th season

The shortest time to being a starter is the first season. Longest time until being a starter is the 6th season. Average is 3.07 seasons from being drafted until starting the first game.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

I think of D-linemen like BY/Sapp/Pat Williams/Randle/Wilfork/Haynesworth, and I don't remember them having numbers like Balmer. However I could be wrong...

Aubrayo Franklin didn't light it up until Nolan left last year. Prior to that he was an average NT. I'll do some research tonight on some of the others to see what I can find.

Right on Smiley, and like I said it's not that I don't believe you I just always hear these things (it takes D-linemen 2-3 years, or a player needs 2 full years after a ACL, etc).

OK, so here's the gold mine of information. I went through every team that runs a 3-4 in the NFL, grabbed their starting NT, and took a look at how long it was before they were a starter. Results varied wildly, but unless you're an exceptional talent it generally takes about 3 years to become a starter in the NFL.

3rd season

Drafted in 2005. Started 9 games in 2006, was not retained in 2008 and is now a starter for the Broncos.
5th season

Casey Hampton (Steelers)
Drafted in 2001
2nd season

Drafted in 1999 by the Eagles. released after two years. Didn't start until 2002 and has been the starter since then.
4th season

Drafted 2008. Didn't start any games in 2008. Started the last five games of 2009
2nd season

2nd season

3rd season

Drafted in 2001 by the Bills. Only started 3 games that year. Started his second year, but didn't start again until he was dealt to the chiefs in 2006.
6th season

3rd season

Vince Wilfork (Patriots)
2nd season

1 season

Got the starting job when Jenkins was hurt earlier this year. Drafted in 2005 and only started 1 game until this year.
5 seasons

Drafted 2003. Didn't start any games that year. Started 13 games in '04, '05, 7 games in 05' zero in '08 and 7 in '09.

Drafted 2003 by the Ravens. Started 1 game in 4 years before being picked up by the Niners on 2007.
5th season

The shortest time to being a starter is the first season. Longest time until being a starter is the 6th season. Average is 3.07 seasons from being drafted until starting the first game.

So Fields started for more than half the year in 2006 and that doesn't count for anything? And when you are talking about Pouha it didn't take him 5 years to earn the starting spot, he only got it cause Jenkins went down. For for guys like Ron Edwards and Kelly Gregg, seems like they were drafted to 4-3 teams, didn't work out there yet made immediate impacts on a 3-4 teams.

Fact is Balmer has shown absolutely nothing to warrant anything. I as much as any 49er fan want him to succeed but it just doesn't look like it. I hope I'm wrong.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

So Fields started for more than half the year in 2006 and that doesn't count for anything? And when you are talking about Pouha it didn't take him 5 years to earn the starting spot, he only got it cause Jenkins went down.

So we switch out Fields and Pouha and the numbers are the same.

Quote:

For for guys like Ron Edwards and Kelly Gregg, seems like they were drafted to 4-3 teams, didn't work out there yet made immediate impacts on a 3-4 teams.

They still didn't start for several seasons after being drafted.

Quote:

Fact is Balmer has shown absolutely nothing to warrant anything. I as much as any 49er fan want him to succeed but it just doesn't look like it. I hope I'm wrong.

It's a fact huh? Based on what? Are secretly a 49er coach who sees him every day in practice, because that's the only way you would know because he only took 177 snaps this year (compared to someone like Franklin who took 626 snaps). I have no idea if Balmer will turn out to be a bust or a viable starter, but I'm willing to give him another year.
i've heard he has weight issues and maiocco or someone made the very valid point that, why would you take a guy so high who is only going to play two downs at a time? especially when we have a pro bowl type NT in aubrayo franklin already. so i don't see a point. we have MUCH bigger needs. possibly take a NT in the much later rounds, but what about OT, CB, SS, KR, OLB, etc?

3rd season

5th season

Casey Hampton (Steelers)
Drafted in 2001
2nd season

4th season

2nd season

2nd season

3rd season

6th season

3rd season

Vince Wilfork (Patriots)
2nd season

1 season

5 seasons

5th season

Jamal Williams is the Chargers starter
Shaun Rogers Is the Browns starter
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

So Fields started for more than half the year in 2006 and that doesn't count for anything? And when you are talking about Pouha it didn't take him 5 years to earn the starting spot, he only got it cause Jenkins went down.

So we switch out Fields and Pouha and the numbers are the same.

Quote:

For for guys like Ron Edwards and Kelly Gregg, seems like they were drafted to 4-3 teams, didn't work out there yet made immediate impacts on a 3-4 teams.

They still didn't start for several seasons after being drafted.

Quote:

It's a fact huh? Based on what? Are secretly a 49er coach who sees him every day in practice, because that's the only way you would know because he only took 177 snaps this year (compared to someone like Franklin who took 626 snaps). I have no idea if Balmer will turn out to be a bust or a viable starter, but I'm willing to give him another year.

OK so fields was a starter in year 2 and not year 5. Pouha only became a starter not because he earned/deserved it but only cause Jenkins was injured and Jenkins is way way better than Pouha.

Clearly Edwards and Gregg were drafted to teams that didn't suit their style of play.

And come on dude, in his 2 years in the league what has he done in games (when it actually matters). I could care less what he does in practice, there's a mile long list of guys who excel in practice yet make no contributions come game time. I hope Balmer proves me wrong.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by solidg2000:

I'm going off the depth charts listed on NFL.com
Cody in the 2nd round would be awesome, he could be great in a rotation.

Originally posted by footballxpaul:

If, and only if, he would drop a couple of tons before the draft. At 370 lbs, he could hold the A gap and be a two down player, but that's it. Cody can't push the pocket as a pass rusher or make plays down the line if he doesn't make some changes.
With all of the talk about franchise tags for Franklin, Wilfork, & Hampton. Do you think one of these teams take Mount Cody in the late 1st or second round to see if they will need to Franchise these guys again next year?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

If, and only if, he would drop a couple of tons before the draft. At 370 lbs, he could hold the A gap and be a two down player, but that's it. Cody can't push the pocket as a pass rusher or make plays down the line if he doesn't make some changes.

even at that weight as a 2nd round pick if he came out the first year and was a 2 down player who clogged the middle that would be worth it imo... after that it would be up to the coaching staff to get him stronger and in better shape with better technique. I still think he would be worth any risk associated with him.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

I'm going off the depth charts listed on NFL.com

That's fine but these two are the 1st stringers, those guys are starting due to injury, so that in itself skews the numbers

I dont see any muscle mass in this picture.
Share 49ersWebzone