There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This year's draft seems deeper than others.

The more I look at the players that will be available at 13 and 16 it seems like the drop off in talent will be after we pick instead of around the 6-10 range where it usually is. Granted I only think there are 3 Can't miss players not including QBs in Suh, Berry, and Mccoy but there are plenty of immediate starter quality players that should be available when we pick and this doesn't even include the late risers that shoot up the board in the senior bowl, combine, and personal workouts. It looks like a great year to have 2 1st rounders and I can't wait until April!
very very deep, at many positions.

OT, OG, DE, DT, WR and DB are all deep positions.

I see a few top notch guys besides the 2 DT's and Berry, i see McClain, and the 2 DE's, Morgan and Dunlap as great prospects. Also Haden and the 3 OT's, Okung, Williams and Davis. But Campbell and Bulaga are also nice 1st rd OT prospects.

I dont see any QB, including Bradford and Clausen as cant miss guys.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
So deep that people actually wouldn't mind taking a backup RB in round 1!
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
The more I look at the players that will be available at 13 and 16 it seems like the drop off in talent will be after we pick instead of around the 6-10 range where it usually is. Granted I only think there are 3 Can't miss players not including QBs in Suh, Berry, and Mccoy but there are plenty of immediate starter quality players that should be available when we pick and this doesn't even include the late risers that shoot up the board in the senior bowl, combine, and personal workouts. It looks like a great year to have 2 1st rounders and I can't wait until April!

Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:

Gerald not Colt.
I am liking the look of the whole draft, I would not be adverse to trading some picks next year to get an extra first or a second (obviously not breaking the bank).

I usually hate trading away future picks, but if a team offered to trade me their first in this draft for our next years first I would take it in a heartbeat. This draft seems way more stacked across the board, there are players I really want to get in the 2nd who I think could make an immediate impact!
Originally posted by krizay:
So deep that people actually wouldn't mind taking a backup RB in round 1!
c'mon, dont you like spiller's qualities?
who think that he would be a backup??? RB-by-committee!!!

[ Edited by communist on Jan 11, 2010 at 17:31:17 ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
very very deep, at many positions.

OT, OG, DE, DT, WR and DB are all deep positions.

I see a few top notch guys besides the 2 DT's and Berry, i see McClain, and the 2 DE's, Morgan and Dunlap as great prospects. Also Haden and the 3 OT's, Okung, Williams and Davis. But Campbell and Bulaga are also nice 1st rd OT prospects.

I dont see any QB, including Bradford and Clausen as cant miss guys.

I'm not sold on Morgan as a can't miss even though he has a lot of upside and Dunlap because of the character issues is why I didn't list him as a can't miss.

When it comes to Haden watch Brandon Lafell film and Major Wright film and you will see Haden got burnt quite a bit in college which doesn't fit my can't miss type corner criteria.

When it comes to can't miss OTs I was thinking more on the lines of Thomas and Long and not like Smith from last year or even Clady from a couple of years ago who are very good and have the potential to be great (Clady was great even as a rookie but wasn't drafted in the top 5 because there were question marks) but there are question marks going in. Okung with an amazing combine could jump into that category but as of now I wouldn't consider him a can't miss.

[ Edited by flynhayn15 on Jan 11, 2010 at 16:30:45 ]
Originally posted by kunged:
I am liking the look of the whole draft, I would not be adverse to trading some picks next year to get an extra first or a second (obviously not breaking the bank).

I usually hate trading away future picks, but if a team offered to trade me their first in this draft for our next years first I would take it in a heartbeat. This draft seems way more stacked across the board, there are players I really want to get in the 2nd who I think could make an immediate impact!

Their 1st this year for our 2nd next year.

But other teams can also assess the talent pool, and it would be quite a surprise, I think, if anyone trades a high pick in such a way this year
McCloughan's judgement re. OL talent is a concern....i.e. letting Smiley go b/c he feels that OL Gs are a dime a dozen..when its been noted that the reason Baas could'nt break into the starting OL was the fact that he was "slow" afoot and in picking up blitzes, taking Wallace over Carl Nicks - who is now starting with New Orleans and not pulling the trigger on trading back into the first rd. when Oher was not picked @ #20 by Detroit - the cost to trade back into the 1st would have been the 2nd, 3rd and 2010 4th..at the time McC thought it would have been too costly....of course hindsight being what it is...IMH Oher's value @ #23 would have been worth every penny and be considered better that 2010's crop of OTs but @ #20s price tag.
Originally posted by 4089er:
McCloughan's judgement re. OL talent is a concern....i.e. letting Smiley go b/c he feels that OL Gs are a dime a dozen..when its been noted that the reason Baas could'nt break into the starting OL was the fact that he was "slow" afoot and in picking up blitzes, taking Wallace over Carl Nicks - who is now starting with New Orleans and not pulling the trigger on trading back into the first rd. when Oher was not picked @ #20 by Detroit - the cost to trade back into the 1st would have been the 2nd, 3rd and 2010 4th..at the time McC thought it would have been too costly....of course hindsight being what it is...IMH Oher's value @ #23 would have been worth every penny and be considered better that 2010's crop of OTs but @ #20s price tag.

Man, some people don't have good memory. He let Smiley go because he sucked that last year he was with us. Most posters and fans were happy we let him go. Now he's playing in a unconventional system and doing well, alot of these fans pretend as if they wanted to keep Smiley all along.
Kronik, I beg to differ..Smiley played injured with shoulder injuries in 2006 and was in recovery in 2007, but played well enough to earn much respect by an all-pro DT from ChiBears (can't remember the name-played college ball in OK). Smiley's game was his athleticsm, knowledge of the scheme and an excellent pulling guard. He wanted to stay and just wanted a fair offer from the 49ers.

I don't know if the presence of OL coach Warhop (whom Parsells fired @ Dallas) and/or McC's bias towards big power players that allowed Smiley to walk...or the turnstile situation with the OCs...whatever it was, I would venture to state that the lost of Smiley was a big loss to the chemistry and continuity of the OL. I would further say that an OL w/ Staley, Smiley, Heitmann, Rachel/Nicks, Oher would have gotten us to the playoffs
Kronik, I beg to differ..Smiley played injured with shoulder injuries in 2006 and was in recovery in 2007, but played well enough to earn much respect by an all-pro DT from ChiBears (can't remember the name-played college ball in OK). Smiley's game was his athleticsm, knowledge of the scheme and an excellent pulling guard. He wanted to stay and just wanted a fair offer from the 49ers.

I don't know if the presence of OL coach Warhop (whom Parsells fired @ Dallas) and/or McC's bias towards big power players that allowed Smiley to walk...or the turnstile situation with the OCs...whatever it was, I would venture to state that the lost of Smiley was a big loss to the chemistry and continuity of the OL. I would further say that an OL w/ Staley, Smiley, Heitmann, Rachel/Nicks, Oher would have gotten us to the playoffs

That was Tommie Harris. He said Smiley was the toughest person he faced a couple years ago. Smiley had his moments, but he struggled at times too. Losing Smiley didn't seem like such a big loss at the time.
Tks, Strickac...I guess it just came down to a choice to 2nd rd. picks Smiley or Baas...however, by keeping Raye/Foerster for "continuity" it will determine the "type" of OL talent they will target in the draft/FA...someone with bulk, athletic and lateral quickness.

I hear ya. But alot of us weren't too happy with Smiley's play during his last year. Many blamed him for allowing Rocky Bernard to rush in untouched and destroyed Alex Smith's shoulder for the next 2 seasons. Did everyone forget that moment?