LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

This year's draft seems deeper than others.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by kunged:
I am liking the look of the whole draft, I would not be adverse to trading some picks next year to get an extra first or a second (obviously not breaking the bank).

I usually hate trading away future picks, but if a team offered to trade me their first in this draft for our next years first I would take it in a heartbeat. This draft seems way more stacked across the board, there are players I really want to get in the 2nd who I think could make an immediate impact!

Their 1st this year for our 2nd next year.

But other teams can also assess the talent pool, and it would be quite a surprise, I think, if anyone trades a high pick in such a way this year

don't you mean their 2nd this year for our 1st next year? Which I would do btw as long as it was a high 2nd, because with all the juniors and redshirt sophs coming out this year next year's draft will probably be less talented. If we can get 4 players in the top 45 picks or whatever, IMO that's a great idea and a great deal. We got to do something to move up and get another 2nd. Whether that's moving back with one of our 1sts, or moving up with a 3+5 or something, or next year's first. But there's so many guys with awesome talent this year I would LOVE to see us get another 2nd.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by kunged:
I am liking the look of the whole draft, I would not be adverse to trading some picks next year to get an extra first or a second (obviously not breaking the bank).

I usually hate trading away future picks, but if a team offered to trade me their first in this draft for our next years first I would take it in a heartbeat. This draft seems way more stacked across the board, there are players I really want to get in the 2nd who I think could make an immediate impact!

Their 1st this year for our 2nd next year.

But other teams can also assess the talent pool, and it would be quite a surprise, I think, if anyone trades a high pick in such a way this year

don't you mean their 2nd this year for our 1st next year? Which I would do btw as long as it was a high 2nd, because with all the juniors and redshirt sophs coming out this year next year's draft will probably be less talented. If we can get 4 players in the top 45 picks or whatever, IMO that's a great idea and a great deal. We got to do something to move up and get another 2nd. Whether that's moving back with one of our 1sts, or moving up with a 3+5 or something, or next year's first. But there's so many guys with awesome talent this year I would LOVE to see us get another 2nd.

Yeah, I am losing it! Although if we can get someone to do it my way ....!!

How deep does this draft go? Should we be trying to move for example our 3rd rounder forward to the 2nd by packaging in lower picks or next years, or is the draft too deep to do that? I know AB was speculating on a second 2nd round pick but I can't remember how he proposed to pay for it
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by 4089er:
Kronik, I beg to differ..Smiley played injured with shoulder injuries in 2006 and was in recovery in 2007, but played well enough to earn much respect by an all-pro DT from ChiBears (can't remember the name-played college ball in OK). Smiley's game was his athleticsm, knowledge of the scheme and an excellent pulling guard. He wanted to stay and just wanted a fair offer from the 49ers.

I don't know if the presence of OL coach Warhop (whom Parsells fired @ Dallas) and/or McC's bias towards big power players that allowed Smiley to walk...or the turnstile situation with the OCs...whatever it was, I would venture to state that the lost of Smiley was a big loss to the chemistry and continuity of the OL. I would further say that an OL w/ Staley, Smiley, Heitmann, Rachel/Nicks, Oher would have gotten us to the playoffs

I hear ya. But alot of us weren't too happy with Smiley's play during his last year. Many blamed him for allowing Rocky Bernard to rush in untouched and destroyed Alex Smith's shoulder for the next 2 seasons. Did everyone forget that moment?

That was an unfortunate play that could be attributed to both Heitmann and Smiley
- both were coming back from off season surguries: Heitmann-broken leg & Smiley shoulder....which probly prompted McC to draft Wallace, a center, over Nicks because of a sub-par season from Heitmann.
With our first two picks, were in a position to add two starters, hopefully a RT will be one of them, I'm hoping we sign Logan Mankins, he's the only free agent I'm hoping we target, he would improve our line the day he steps on the field, then that way the other first round pick can be used on an impact player for the defense, either a pass rushing OLB or CB
Kronik, I beg to differ..Smiley played injured with shoulder injuries in 2006 and was in recovery in 2007, but played well enough to earn much respect by an all-pro DT from ChiBears (can't remember the name-played college ball in OK). Smiley's game was his athleticsm, knowledge of the scheme and an excellent pulling guard. He wanted to stay and just wanted a fair offer from the 49ers.

I don't know if the presence of OL coach Warhop (whom Parsells fired @ Dallas) and/or McC's bias towards big power players that allowed Smiley to walk...or the turnstile situation with the OCs...whatever it was, I would venture to state that the lost of Smiley was a big loss to the chemistry and continuity of the OL. I would further say that an OL w/ Staley, Smiley, Heitmann, Rachel/Nicks, Oher would have gotten us to the playoffs

I hear ya. But alot of us weren't too happy with Smiley's play during his last year. Many blamed him for allowing Rocky Bernard to rush in untouched and destroyed Alex Smith's shoulder for the next 2 seasons. Did everyone forget that moment?

That was an unfortunate play that could be attributed to both Heitmann and Smiley
- both were coming back from off season surguries: Heitmann-broken leg & Smiley shoulder....which probly prompted McC to draft Wallace, a center, over Nicks because of a sub-par season from Heitmann.

The play where Bernard flattened Smith and destroyed his shoulder was the result of a whiff between Larry Allen and Heitmann. Smiley is innocent..
Tks!
  • GORO
  • Veteran

Smiley has been worth every dollar the Dolphins have paid for him. As for us our Guards where getting pushed around alot during the first and middle of the season.
Share 49ersWebzone