There are 147 users in the forums

Bleacher Report 1st round mock 1-9-10

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by joey82:
If the rams are smart then they will either pick up a QB in FA or they will trade out of the #1 spot. There just isn't value at #1 for QB. Heck, I think they could easily package their 2nd and 3rd to move back up into the first for Tebow.

And sign who ? Patrick Ramsey ? Culpepper ? Pennington ? Grossman ? Kitna ? Cause those are the most known UFA's at QB.

Trade back ? Small possibility considering Suh's current draft stock however it's possible they won't get great value for it. Who will jump up for Suh though ? Likely only Tampa Bay I'd think but you also have to factor in that if they really like 1 of the top 2 QB's much better than the other it could be a gamble as what's to stop Washington, Seattle, Cleveland or Buffalo from trying to jump into the #2 spot and take said QB from under their nose.

Originally posted by walker807:
not to mention no Rolando in his top 20. Tebow being drafted by anyone other than the Jags in the first is a joke too.

Actually it's not a joke, and it's so early in the offseason that it's still conceivable. He could raise his stock, there is that possibility. All it takes is for him to wow 1 team, just 1 and they may overvalue him and reach.

In addition, there doesn't seem like a 2nd or 3rd round prospect that has any ability to start in this league immediately. This draft reminds me a lot of Alex Smith and Aaron Rogers.

The Rams are experiencing what the 49ers experienced in 2005.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
If the rams are smart then they will either pick up a QB in FA or they will trade out of the #1 spot. There just isn't value at #1 for QB. Heck, I think they could easily package their 2nd and 3rd to move back up into the first for Tebow.

And sign who ? Patrick Ramsey ? Culpepper ? Pennington ? Grossman ? Kitna ? Cause those are the most known UFA's at QB.

Trade back ? Small possibility considering Suh's current draft stock however it's possible they won't get great value for it. Who will jump up for Suh though ? Likely only Tampa Bay I'd think but you also have to factor in that if they really like 1 of the top 2 QB's much better than the other it could be a gamble as what's to stop Washington, Seattle, Cleveland or Buffalo from trying to jump into the #2 spot and take said QB from under their nose.

not to mention no Rolando in his top 20. Tebow being drafted by anyone other than the Jags in the first is a joke too.

Actually it's not a joke, and it's so early in the offseason that it's still conceivable. He could raise his stock, there is that possibility. All it takes is for him to wow 1 team, just 1 and they may overvalue him and reach.

In addition, there doesn't seem like a 2nd or 3rd round prospect that has any ability to start in this league immediately. This draft reminds me a lot of Alex Smith and Aaron Rogers.

The Rams are experiencing what the 49ers experienced in 2005.

Which really forces them into a corner on taking a QB in the 1st as there is little available in FA even if pressed into action for 1 year or on their current roster. So unless they don't mind picking top 5 again for the 3rd consecutive year (which is not a good thing when it comes to retaining season ticket holders and a loyal fanbase) or can finagle a trade with someone for a QB they will have a hard time not taking Clausen or Bradford.
Yeah the Rams have already past on Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez. At some point you have to get your QB.

Claussen is a legitimate franchise QB, Tebow is a huge mystery and won't be ready to play for at least 2 years behind center. His mechanics and technique is simply at the level of a HS freshman. This is a QB league. Here's the age old question: what do all the teams in the playoffs have in common? Every year the answer is the same. And please don't cite the 2000 Ravens, because reaching 10 years back to dispprove a point only works to prove it
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Claussen is a legitimate franchise QB, Tebow is a huge mystery and won't be ready to play for at least 2 years behind center. His mechanics and technique is simply at the level of a HS freshman. This is a QB league. Here's the age old question: what do all the teams in the playoffs have in common? Every year the answer is the same. And please don't cite the 2000 Ravens, because reaching 10 years back to dispprove a point only works to prove it

I agree 100% about the franchise QB / playoffs part. This year seems to be an anomoly with Sanchez and Palmer playing pretty badly.
If this draft happened I would be a very happy guy. I'm huge on Bulaga right now and I'm excited to see what Haden does in the Senior Bowl/Combine. St. Louis could easily take a QB but I really don't see Miami taking a RB. Raiders reaching for Tebow is a typical Al Davis move.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Some of the selections in this mock are retarded, (raiders drafting Tebow with the 8th ...

But if we ended up with Haden and Bulaga it would be a good draft for us.

how is that retarded?? it's the Raiders
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
If this draft happened I would be a very happy guy. I'm huge on Bulaga right now and I'm excited to see what Haden does in the Senior Bowl/Combine. St. Louis could easily take a QB but I really don't see Miami taking a RB. Raiders reaching for Tebow is a typical Al Davis move.

Haden = Junior = No Senior Bowl.

Originally posted by 49erfan3252:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Some of the selections in this mock are retarded, (raiders drafting Tebow with the 8th ...

But if we ended up with Haden and Bulaga it would be a good draft for us.

how is that retarded?? it's the Raiders

I'd bet if the draft happened tomorrow the Raiders would pick an OT. Al Davis has done it many times before.

I bet they go hard after Vick.

Kolb could be an option also. I think even Pennington would be ok for a year or two.
[quote=jreff22

I have Bradford at #1 like I have already said in another thread: i dont get it that some people would draft bradford over clausen...bradford is an overrated system qb who was surrounded by a bunch of talented guys the last years...the only year where he could prove that he can work with less talent, he was injured...i mean, everyone saw and see, what can happen, if you get an system-qb...look at alex smith.
suh here suh there...damn, perhaps its the best DT the last 100 years but you will get good enough DTs every year...

Originally posted by communist:
[quote=jreff22

I have Bradford at #1
like I have already said in another thread: i dont get it that some people would draft bradford over clausen...bradford is an overrated system qb who was surrounded by a bunch of talented guys the last years...the only year where he could prove that he can work with less talent, he was injured...i mean, everyone saw and see, what can happen, if you get an system-qb...look at alex smith.
suh here suh there...damn, perhaps its the best DT the last 100 years but you will get good enough DTs every year...
Considering you're new here I'm not going to blast you with bulls**t. I will tell you that I'm a ND fan and have watched almost every play for Clausen. I know his potential and have watched him grow and mature over the last 3 years. I have also watched enough of Bradford to judge him pretty accuratly. I never said Clausen was worse, I hold Clausen with higher regard. Personally I feel Clausen has a much higher upside and will have the stronger career. The truth is most scouts and analysts will grade Bradford higher, hence my prediction that Bradford will go before Clausen.
Originally posted by jreff22:

The truth is most scouts and analysts will grade Bradford higher
and what about mccoy? where do you see him?

can you explain me, why they should grade bradford over clausen? what did they see? could it happen that they even grade tebow as high as clausen?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

I think Miami's offense and Tebow's skill set are a match made in heaven.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Kolb could be an option also. I think even Pennington would be ok for a year or two.

I think this too. Either Vick or Pennington for 1-2 year deals while they wait for another QB (maybe Locker next year?).
  • evil
  • Veteran

Vick signed a 2 year deal and they may have an inside track on getting Kolb seeing as both Spags and Shurmur have ties to the Eagles (Shurmur also was his QB coach) but there is nothing supporting the fact the Eagles would trade either player.

Pennington is a huge question mark after his 3rd surgery on the same shoulder.

Taking a developmental prospect is far from solving the problem at QB and their is a greater chance that Clausen or Bradford are future stars than a mid rounder. QB is the single most important position on a football team and after passing on what appears to be 2 franchise QB's, it will be difficult to pass on 2 guys who have the potential to be just that.

FWIW an interesting looks at stats of some past junior QB's vs Clausen via WalterFootball :

Yes the stat is correct, Clausen posted better stats as a junior than all of those QB's. He also has 3 years experience in a variation of the WCO, which is what Shurmur is running in St.Louis. Will be interesting to see how he fares when he works out in early April, that will likely be the telling point unless the Rams can indeed pull of a trade for Kolb.
Share 49ersWebzone