Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Teams ahead of us that could take an OT :

Detroit
Tampa
Kansas City
Washington
Seattle
Oakland (Al Davis would take an OT in the top 10 and has done so before)
Buffalo

And it's possible a team could trade up in front of us for an OT.

While Oakland could take a tackle, I think they'll become infatuated with either Dereck Morgan or Carlos Dunlap. Regardless if we don't get Davis/Williams/Campbell at 13.......Bulaga, if he comes out will be their at 17. Makes sense because more likely than not he'll be playing right tackle. Then with 13 we could pray that Haden is available, but I doubt it.

Jamarcus Russell, Darren McFadden and now DHB, all struggling recent first round picks on a team that surrendered 49 sacks (3rd most in NFL) and whose running game ranked 21st. Al Davis may be senile but will realize to help these guys out he will need to upgrade his OL.

Oakland was 11th in total sacks. Do they need to upgrade the DL ? Yes, but OL is much more pressing.
I think Davis and Bulaga, more so than Trent Williams or even Bruce Campbell, will be available to us at #13, which should give us some options. Here's how I think it will shake out:

1.) Rams - Ndamukong Suh, DT (Nebraska)
2.) Detroit - Russell Okung, OT (Oklahoma St.)
3.) Tampa Bay - Gerald McCoy, DT (Oklahoma)
4.) Washington - Jimmy Clausen, QB (Notre Dame)
5.) Kansas City - Eric Berry, DB (Tennessee)
6.) Seattle - Sam Bradford, QB (Oklahoma)
7.) Cleveland - Joe Haden, CB (Florida)
8.) Oakland - Bruce Campbell, OT (Maryland)
9.) Buffalo - Trent Williams, OT (Oklahoma)
10.) Jacksonville - Derrick Morgan, DE (Georgia Tech)
11.) Denver (Chi)- Dez Bryant, WR (Oklahoma St.)
12.) Miami - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE/OLB (South Florida)
13.) San Francisco - Bryan Bulaga, OT (Iowa)
14.) Seattle (Den) - Anthony Davis, OT (Rutgers)
15.) New York Giants - Earl Thomas, S (Texas)
16.) Tennessee - Carlos Dunlap, DE (Florida)
17.) San Francisco (Car) - C.J. Spiller, RB (Clemson)

Regarding the pick at #17, if Earl Thomas is gone (and I can't see the Giants passing on a safety) it's more likely that we trade back and grab a few more picks from someone....even though I would love to have Spiller, I don't think McCloughan is going to do it (and I don't think he'll use a mid-1st rounder on Iupati).
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Jan 6, 2010 at 11:52 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I think there is a good chance Davis will be the first tackle taken of the board

Not Okung?

He's not the only one (not me tho). I've seen Davis go as high as #2 in a mock. McShay also says Davis has the higher ceiling and may go higher than Okung.
Originally posted by kronik:
I think there is a good chance Davis will be the first tackle taken of the board

Not Okung?

He's not the only one (not me tho). I've seen Davis go as high as #2 in a mock. McShay also says Davis has the higher ceiling and may go higher than Okung.

But Davis has been REALLY inconsistent this year and his weight scares a lot of people. As good of a run-blocker as he is (and he's awesome), I'm also not sure he's all that special in terms of pass-protection (and that's where the big money is made).
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Not Okung?

But Davis has been REALLY inconsistent this year and his weight scares a lot of people. As good of a run-blocker as he is (and he's awesome), I'm also not sure he's all that special in terms of pass-protection (and that's where the big money is made).

Agreed. I'm just saying a lot of scouts and draft "experts" view him as high or maybe higher than Okung.

Not Okung?

Agreed. I'm just saying a lot of scouts and draft "experts" view him as high or maybe higher than Okung.

From a pure potential standpoint, I hear what you're seeing. I just think as Davis goes under the microscope/scrutiny of the draft process (like Okung has), people will see his deficiencies and rank him more appropriately.
I think Davis and Bulaga, more so than Trent Williams or even Bruce Campbell, will be available to us at #13, which should give us some options. Here's how I think it will shake out:

Regarding the pick at #17, if Earl Thomas is gone (and I can't see the Giants passing on a safety) it's more likely that we trade back and grab a few more picks from someone....even though I would love to have Spiller, I don't think McCloughan is going to do it (and I don't think he'll use a mid-1st rounder on Iupati).

Ghost, do you think McCloughan might select Brandon Graham at #17 if he was opposed to Spiller? If we get Bulaga at #13 I'd be more than happy with Spiller or Graham. If we trade back in the first Graham may be gone.

Or do you think Scotty is content with the state of our pass rush? Personally, I hope not.
^^ IMO, Graham would be a huge reach at #17 overall. If I had to guess, I'd say that Scotty and Singletary are pretty happy with Brooks, Parys and Manny as the main pass rushers. If somehow Derrick Morgan (who has yet to declare, btw) fell to #17, I think they'd have to take him...but I don't see Morgan falling that far.

I see them addressing OL, DB and kr/pr before they address the pass rush, so they might look at someone like George Selvie, Jermaine Cunningham, Antonio Coleman, Brandon Lang or even Brandon Sharpe in the mid-later rounds.
^^ IMO, Graham would be a huge reach at #17 overall. If I had to guess, I'd say that Scotty and Singletary are pretty happy with Brooks, Parys and Manny as the main pass rushers. If somehow Derrick Morgan (who has yet to declare, btw) fell to #17, I think they'd have to take him...but I don't see Morgan falling that far.

I see them addressing OL, DB and kr/pr before they address the pass rush, so they might look at someone like George Selvie, Jermaine Cunningham, Antonio Coleman, Brandon Lang or even Brandon Sharpe in the mid-later rounds.

Thanks.

NOOOOOO!
Originally posted by SF69ers:

NOOOOOO!

Btw, another guy to keep an eye on for that second 1st rounder is Georgia's S Reshad Jones (6'2", 215). I'm not real clear whether or not he grades out as a mid-to-late 1st rounder just yet, but I do see him somewhere in the 1st pending his combine results. Pairing him with Goldson would give us a tremendous set of young safeties, both with ball skills and the ability to lay people out.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Buff will probably take him or a QB....let's hope a qb

They should get a qb, unless they want to get Campbell or Vick

why do they need a Qb? Edwards, Fitz, and Brohm

I wouldn't mind trading back after Bulaga. And I agree, I doubt he drafts Spiller.
Originally posted by 49erman5692:

I wonder if we could trade Hill for Brohm. I like Brohm and think he could be very good. Im not talking a superstar, but a solid NFL player. The coaches have obviously given up on Hill so why keep him around.
Originally posted by 9er2631:
Originally posted by 49erman5692:

I wonder if we could trade Hill for Brohm. I like Brohm and think he could be very good. Im not talking a superstar, but a solid NFL player. The coaches have obviously given up on Hill so why keep him around.

Brohm has failed with the chances he has had so far, far from convinced he can even be a backup at this point.

Fitzpatrick is the only one who looked decent and at best is a backup. Buffalo needs to draft a QB but it's unlikely at this point that any drop to them.