There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

End of the season mock 1 to 17 (revised again with comments 2.0)

Revised because had a change of mind on some of the picks.

1 St. Louis 1-15 (Needs: Everything except RB): Ndamukong Suh Nebraska DT. Comment: A team devoid of talent needing help on both sides of the line. This one is a no brainer. Other options are QBs Jimmy Clausen and Sam Bradford with outside chance of picking OT Okung.

2 Detroit 2-14 (Needs: OL, DL, LB, and DB): Russell Okung Oklahoma State OT. Comment: They invested the number one overall pick last year on their QB. This time they need someone to help protect that pick for the next ten years. Other option is DT McCoy or Suh if the Rams don’t choose him.

3 Tampa Bay 3-13 (Needs: Any position on defense): Gerald McCoy Oklahoma DT. Comment: No longer the feared defense they once were. Other option is S Berry.

4 Washington 4-12 (Needs: OT, QB, and WR): Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame QB. Comment: Campbell experiment is officially over. With Shannahan running WCO, need a WCO QB. Rumblings from DC are they may pick Sam Bradford. They also need OL help badly but do they go with Anthony Davis? Overall, Jimmy Clausen has worked really nice in a pro-set offense while Bradford was mostly a spread offense. Have to believe in the end it will be Clausen. Other options are OTs Davis or Williams.

5 Kansas City 4-12 (Needs: OL, DL, DB, and WR): Eric Berry Tennesseee S. Comment: There defense pretty much needs everything and the OL needs patching up. Since Berry is too highly rated, KC has no other option but to choose Berry. Other options are OTs Davis or Williams, DLs Dan Williams, Carlos Dunlop, or Heyward, CB Haden, or WR Bryant.

6 Seattle 5-11 (Needs: OT, OG, QB, DB, and OLB): Anthony Davis Rutgers OT. Comment: Should they pick up OL help or go after the remaining QB with top ten talent in Bradford. Got to go with OT Davis who can man that position for next ten years and hope Bradford falls to their second first rounder. Other options are OT Travis Williams, QB Sam Bradford, CB Joe Haden, and LB Rolanda McClain.

7 Cleveland 5-11 (Needs: DL, WR, CB, RB, RT and RG) = Joe Haden Florida CB. Comment: RB Spiller looks real attractive at this point because Jerome Harrison has been streaky this season. Up in the beginning, bad in the middle, and up at the end. With Spiller, he is instant offense and can play KR, PR, slot, as well as RB. Seems like Spiller has at least one run of over 60 yards in every game he plays. And he can block well for his size. But RB is not as a big need compared to the DL, WR, and CB positions. The drop off between Haden and the rest of the CB’s is huge so go with the best available CB worthy of top ten in Haden. Other options are RB Spiller, WR Dez Bryant, OG Iupati, RT Williams, and LB McClain.

8 Oakland 5-11 = (Needs: OL, DE, QB, TE, and OLB) Trent Williams OT. Comment: This is a hard one because wacky Al does things so against the grain. DHB over Crabtree? Still scratching my head on this one. We can officially say JeMarcus Russell is a bust. But does Al agree with that? He will probably fire Cable because he thinks Cable did not coach Russell properly by benching him. Saying that, do they choose OL help to protect any QB taking center? Should they pick up QB Bradford? Bradford's arm is not the type Al Davis likes. I believe this is the year he finally wises up and chooses an OT instead of something wacky. Originally I thought of LB McCain but the more I think about it, I think he comes out of his senility for little bit and chooses Trent Williams. But would not be surprised if for some reason he chooses Spiller because of that speed even though he is three deep there. Other options are LB McClain, DEs Derrick Mogran, Jason Pierre-Paul, or Carlos Dunlop, WR Dez Bryant, or QB Sam Bradford.

9 Buffalo 6-10 = (Needs: OT, QB, OLB, WR, and DL) Dez Bryant Oklahoma State WR. Comment: Buffalo allowed over 13 runners at least 80 yards a game. So stopping the run is a must. Their DL is getting old and the OLB are much to be desired. Do they go with LB McClain? How about QB Bradford? But with TO getting up their in years and not knowing when he'll implode, feel they will stick with current QB and choose Bryant. Some may say a little high for Bryant but with Miami and Denver hoping he falls to them and Buffalo's penchant for reaching in the first round, Buffalo makes the pick. Only thing that may hurt Bryant is his agent most likely will be Eugene Parker. You remember him don’t you? Dez is close friends with Neon Deion. Other options are LB McClain, QB Sam Bradford, DL Cody or Dan Williams, or OL Iupati or Bulaga.

10F Jacksonville 7-9 = (Needs: DE, S, OLB, interior OL, and QB) Derrick Morgan Georgia Tech DE. Comment: Anyone who saw that Jacksonville game vs. San Francisco knows how bad their pass rush is. With Morgan still available and filling an area of need, this is a no brainer. Problem is this pick can change if Jacksonville commits back to a 3-4 team because Morgan is a 4-.3 DE. Other option is QB Tim Tebow because of the public relations aspect of the floundering fans. But that is too high to reach when he could be available in the second round. OLB McClain is possible but DE is really a need. Other options are QBs Tebow and Bradford, DE Jason Pierre-Paul or Carlos Dunlop, or Mike Iupati.

10F Denver (from Chicago) = (Needs: DL, CB, WR, and QB) Sam Bradford Oklahoma QB. Comment: Their DL is adequate but not great. But is there a DL player worthy here? LB McClain is real tempting option but not pressing a need. With Bradford there staring them in the eye, they have to pull the trigger since Denver's second half swan dive shows Orton is not answer. So pick up the QB that replaces Cutler. More and more, that may look like the best trade Denver ever made since picking up Elway. Other options are DL Cody or Dan Williams, or LB McClain.

12 Miami 7-9 = (Needs: DL, LB, CB, interior OL, and QB) Rolando McClain LB. Comment: With DTs, LBs, and WRs as big needs, were able to get appropriate value here with McClain dropping to them. Other options are DL Cody or Dan Williams, or LB Spikes, which would all be reaches at this point in the draft.

13 San Francisco 8-8 = (Needs: OL, CB, OLB pass rusher, SS, and QB) CJ Spiller Clemson RB. Comment: Tough choice. Like last year, when the choice was between Oher and Crabtree, here it is between Spiller (great talent who falls to them) and Iupati/Trent Williams. Do you finally shore the OL here or go with best available talent worthy of the pick? GM SM always stated go with best talent available at that pick, regardless of position. Again a tough one but bite the bullet and go for the difference maker and address OL with second first rounder. Other options are OT Bulaga or Campbell, OG/T Iupati (who I really like), and Pass rushers Graham, Jason Pierre-Paul, and Wooton.

14 Seattle (from Denver) = (Needs: OT, OG, QB, DB, and OLB): Mike Iupati Idaho G. Comment: Since Bradford does not last, Seattle goes with patching up their line for the next decade with Iupati and Davis. Personally hate this but Seattle is not blind. The man can play. Other options are DL Dan Williams and Cody along with OLB Graham, and S Taylor Mays and Earl Thomas.

15 New York Giants 8-8 = (Needs: DL, OL, LB, and DB): Taylor Mays USC S. Comment: They could go for DT help as well but Mount Cody and Dan Williams seem a little high here. OL might also be a consideration since it is aging but feel they want to address defense first. Another option is S Earl Thomas and LB Spikes but that would may be a little too high here, although Thomas is climbing. Other options are OT Bulaga or Campbell, DE Dunlop, and DT Heyward.

16F Tennessee 8-8 = (Needs: DE, CB, LB, and WR): Jason Pierre-Paul South Florida DE. Comment: With an aging LB corp, really would have wanted McClain. But with his stock rising, he won't be available by the time they pick. Therefore, go with the best available player to shore up again pass rush. Other options are DE Dunlop, Graham, and Wooton, WRs Benn and Tate, and LB Spikes.

16F San Francisco (from Carolina) 8-8 = (Needs: OL, CB, OLB pass rusher, SS, and QB) Bryan Bulaga OT. Comment: Was hoping so much Iupati falls here but with Seattle taking him, will need that OL help in Byran Bulaga. Not excited about his pick and hopefully the team can trade down for more picks and then pick up OT Campbell or Charles Brown. Other options are OTs Campbell, Brown, or Fox.
[ Edited by KOniner on Jan 5, 2010 at 12:04 PM ]
That would take care of two important spots for us.
I'll take Spiller 1A for sure.
  • tap11
  • Veteran
Over all this is a pretty good first 17. Still, I don't understand the attraction that this board shows for Spiller. Is he good, yes.... but running backs are a dime a dozen and should very rarely be taken before the end of the first round. Running backs often produce based on the system they are in, and good ones that will fit any team's given system can be found in latter rounds.
Originally posted by KOniner:
1 St. Louis 1-15 = Ndamukong Suh Nebraska DT
2 Detroit 2-14 = Russell Okung Oklahoma State OT
3 Tampa Bay 3-13 = Gerald McCoy Oklahoma DT
4 Washington 4-12 = Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame QB
5 Kansas City 4-12 = Eric Berry Tennesseee S
6 Seattle 5-11 = Anthony Davis Rutgers OT
7 Cleveland 5-11 = Joe Haden Florida CB
8 Oakland 5-11 = Rolando McClain Alabama LB
9 Buffalo 6-10 = Dez Bryant Oklahoma State WR
10F Jacksonville 7-9 = Derrick Morgan Georgia Tech DE
10F Denver (from Chicago) = Sam Bradford Oklahoma QB
12 Miami 7-9 = Dan Williams Tennessee DT
13 San Francisco 8-8 = CJ Spiller Clemson RB
14 Seattle (from Denver) = Mike Iupati Idaho G
15 New York Giants 8-8 = Taylor Mays USC S
16F Tennessee 8-8 = Jason Pierre-Paul South Florida DE
16F San Francisco (from Carolina) 8-8 = Trent Williams Oklahoma OT

You think the Faiders pass on Bradford? I doubt this happens with Jamarcus gone
Wow if this mock happened, NYG's safeties would be FS Kenny Phillips (a beast) and SS Taylor Mays (a beast). Goodnight NFC East receivers.
Originally posted by tap11:
Over all this is a pretty good first 17. Still, I don't understand the attraction that this board shows for Spiller. Is he good, yes.... but running backs are a dime a dozen and should very rarely be taken before the end of the first round. Running backs often produce based on the system they are in, and good ones that will fit any team's given system can be found in latter rounds.

Guys with his speed are not a dime a dozen.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Wow if this mock happened, NYG's safeties would be FS Kenny Phillips (a beast) and SS Taylor Mays (a beast). Goodnight NFC East receivers.

Phillips might never play again, he had some sort of bad arthritis in his knee and got a major surgery that put him on IR. Mays is terrible though. That guy can't cover, can't get any picks, and takes terrible angles. I'll take a ballhawk like Earl Thomas or someone that can cover like Berry. I wouldn't take Mays in the first.
  • tap11
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Reggie Bush is fast, so is Ryan Moats. How about Chris Henry (the running back)? Javid Best is faster than Spiller, should we draft him?

Most rb's don't have elite speed (I know that Chris Johnson is the exception), rather they are good because they can find, and hit the hole (which often means using patience.

Reggie Bush is fast, so is Ryan Moats. How about Chris Henry (the running back)? Javid Best is faster than Spiller, should we draft him?

Most rb's don't have elite speed (I know that Chris Johnson is the exception), rather they are good because they can find, and hit the hole (which often means using patience.

Chris Johnson.

Chris Johnson.

I think his price just went skyrocketing.
  • tap11
  • Veteran
Now that we agree Chis Johnson is both fast and good (and an absolute moron to boot), can we also agree that the 49ers should not draft a rb in the first round. I do not dispute that speed on offense should be a priority, but I would much rather they draft a guy like Dez Bryant to give them a vertical threat at wr.
That would suck if Seattle drafts Iupati

He could turn out to be our Chris Johnson... or Devin Hester/Percy Harvin would be acceptable too... and oh yeah, we'd take care of that glaring hole we have in our special teams return team.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Just an athlete...hes no safety and a lot of people feel like hes gonna be somethin special at the next level...hes not...