There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mods Mock 2010 Off-Season/Draft

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Players not re-signed, retired and key releases

Mark Roman - Had the best year as a 9er in 2009, but its time we upgraded.
Marcus Hudson - Hasn't really been much of a factor on defense or ST's, time to give a rookie a shot.
Arnaz Battle - Thanks for all your hard work and everything you've done in SF. But I think its time to move on.
Walt Harris - He surprised me from the start when he was signed, and I loved having him as a 9er, but like Battle, its time to move on. Although I'd love to have him and Bly, we kinda need to get younger at this position.
Isaac Bruce - Man it was fun having him as a 9er (for me at least), I wish things had worked out better with Bruce. Time to retire it was a weird having him as a 9er though I'll tell you that.
Adam Snyder - His troubles pass-blocking followed him in the 2010 Pre-Season, surprise cut here.
Tony Wragge - Release makes way for rookies and Cody Wallace.
Demetric Evans - Non factor all season, we go with a rookie instead.

Re-Signed/Extended

Barry Sims - Underrated team player of the year, IMO at least.
Ahmad Brooks - Should push Haralson next year for the starting gig, putting him back to 3rd down pass-rusher.
Vernon Davis - No question he should be re-signed. If he doesn't break 1,000 yards this year, he'll do it next year under a new contract.
Patrick Willis - We need to lock up the leader of our defense ASAP.
Abrayo Franklin - Tagged.
Dre Bly - Had a good year for us, we definitely gotta have him back.(two-year contract)

Free Agency

Brandon Marshall - Yah yah, I know hes a headcase, don't look at me, it was McCloughan that signed him.

Deuce Lutui - We finally get a mauler to help open up some lanes for Frank Gore. He'll also make Glen Coffee look good too. I bet Chilo Rachal would be happy to see him.

Leon Washington - Familiar with OC Raye and the PR we've been looking for.

Travis LaBoy - Gave the Bay Area a home town discount. Been off for a year to get healthy, but he's back to provide some much needed pass-rush.

**2010 NFL Draft**

1a. Earl Thomas FS - With Eric Berry out of reach we look to another Ballhawking Safety.....Finally!!!

1b. Vladimir Ducasse OT - Big athletic OT who can also play Guard if need be. Small school version of Michael Oher.

2nd. Kyle Wilson CB - Speedy CB who can also help on Special Teams. Asante Samuel clone.

3rd. Jon Jerry OG - Will be our swing Guard and battle Rachal for playing time.

4th. Sean Canfield QB - Just watched the Oregon St. vs. Portland St. game today, and I'm loving Canfiled's arm strength, footwork and quick release. Also has a very nice deep ball. I know the fan favorite around here is Nate Davis, but I'm not sold on him, besides Shaun Hill or/and Alex Smith could be gone in 2011.

5th. Cam Thomas NT - Rotational player who will relieve Abrayo Franklin when needed.

6th. AJ Wallace CB - Big CB who can also return kicks. Not a bad hitter either. Adds more speed to our secondary.

7th. Blaze Soares ILB/OLB - Can play inside or outside. Squatty player like Jeff Ulbrich, only he can rush the passer. Isn't too bad in coverage either. **cough** homer pick **cough**

Depth Chart

Offense

QB - Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Nate Davis, Sean Canfield
RB - Frank Gore, Glenn Coffee, Leon Washington
FB - Moran Norris, Michael Robinson
WR - Michael Crabtree, Brandon Marshall, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill
TE - Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker
OT - Joe Staley, Vladimir Ducasse, Barry Sims, Alex Boone
OG - Chilo Rachal, Deuce Lutui, David Baas, Jon Jerry
OC - Eric Heitmann, Cody Wallace

Defense

ILB - Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, Matt Wilhelm, Scott McKlillop, Blaze Soares
OLB - Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, Ahmad brooks, Travis LaBoy
NT - Abrayo Franklin, Cam Thomas
DE - Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Kentwan Balmer, Ricky Jean-Francois
FS - Earl Thomas, Reggie Smith
SS - Michael Lewis, Dashon Goldson
CB - Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Kyle Wilson, Dre Bly, Tarrell Brown, AJ Wallace

Special Teams

K - Joe Nedney
P - Andy Lee
LS - Brian Jennings

Well that's my 2010 Off-Season/Draft in a nutshell....please be gentle.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Jan 2, 2010 at 10:20 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Marcus Hudson - Hasn't really been much of a factor on defense or ST's, time to give a rookie a shot.
Arnaz Battle - Thanks for all your hard work and everything you've done in SF. But I think its time to move on.
Walt Harris - He surprised me from the start when he was signed, and I loved having him as a 9er, but like Battle, its time to move on. Although I'd love to have him and Bly, we kinda need to get younger at this position.
Isaac Bruce - Man it was fun having him as a 9er (for me at least), I wish things had worked out better with Bruce. Time to retire it was a weird having him as a 9er though I'll tell you that.
Adam Snyder - His troubles pass-blocking followed him in the 2010 Pre-Season, surprise cut here.

Re-Signed/Extended

Ahmad Brooks - Should push Haralson next year for the starting gig, putting him back to 3rd down pass-rusher.
Vernon Davis - No question he should be re-signed. If he doesn't break 1,000 yards this year, he'll do it next year under a new contract.
Dre Bly - Had a good year for us, we definitely gotta have him back.(two-year contract)

Free Agency

Brandon Marshall - Yah yah, I know hes a headcase, don't look at me, it was McCloughan that signed him.

Deuce Lutui - We finally get a mauler to help open up some lanes for Frank Gore. He'll also make Glen Coffee look good too. I bet Chilo Rachal would be happy to see him.

Travis LaBoy - Gave the Bay Area a home town discount. Been off for a year to get healthy, but he's back to provide some much needed pass-rush.

**2010 NFL Draft**

1a. Earl Thomas FS - With Eric Berry out of reach we look to another Ballhawking Safety.....Finally!!!

1b. Vladimir Ducasse OT - Big athletic OT who can also play Guard if need be. Small school version of Michael Oher.

2nd. Kyle Wilson CB - Speedy CB who can also help on Special Teams. Asante Samuel clone.

4th. Sean Canfield QB - Just watched the Oregon St. vs. Portland St. game today, and I'm loving Canfiled's arm strength, footwork and quick release. Also has a very nice deep ball. I know the fan favorite around here is Nate Davis, but I'm not sold on him, besides Shaun Hill or/and Alex Smith could be gone in 2011.

5th. Cam Thomas NT - Rotational player who will relieve Abrayo Franklin when needed.

6th. AJ Wallace CB - Big CB who can also return kicks. Not a bad hitter either. Adds more speed to our secondary.

7th. Blaze Soares ILB/OLB - Can play inside or outside. Squatty player like Jeff Ulbrich, only he can rush the passer. Isn't too bad in coverage either. **cough** homer pick **cough**

Depth Chart

Offense

OG - Chilo Rachal, Deuce Lutui, Jon Jerry

Defense

CB - Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Dre Bly, Tarrell Brown, AJ Wallace

Special Teams

K - Joe Nedney
P - Andy Lee
LS - Brian Jennings

Thoughts:

Snyder isn't going anywhere. He's done a much better job at RT with Smith at the helm, and he has the ability to play OG. Coaches love him, and he's a locker room favorite.

If David Baas isn't resigned, then Tony Wragge isn't going anywhere.

I don't think Marshall is going to sign with us, judging by our current lineup at WR - youth movement. We got Crabtree, and a better signing - price and #2 WR-wise - would be Malcom Floyd from the Chargers.

I like the other FA signings, but Washington will be a question mark during the offseason.

With the season that Goldson had, and since you didn't release Lewis, I don't see the 49ers going FS in the first round. I like that you drafted an OT with the second 1st round pick, but I am not high Vlad, especially that high in the first.

Pretty early with CB if we are resigning Bly. If we pick a CB in the 2nd, I think its going to be that we don't resign Bly/Harris, and he'll have ST potential as a KR/PR.

I don't want to be too critical. You target the right positions in your mock plan, but the selections and specific players leave me scratching my head for some.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:

Agreed!

Here are some of my questions:

Michael Lewis sticks?

Marshall = TO version 2.0? Pass! Let him take his sorry ass to Seattle
L. Washington = Great player, but will want serious bank to move
D. Lutui and Travis LaBoy = Not bad

Draft: Too many DB's and not enough lineman, offense and defense. A FCS player in the late first? After signing Washington in Free agency, you draft two more KR's. How many do we need?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GEEK:

Re-Signed/Extended

Free Agency

**2010 NFL Draft**

Depth Chart

Offense

OG - Chilo Rachal, Deuce Lutui, Jon Jerry

Defense

CB - Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Dre Bly, Tarrell Brown, AJ Wallace

Special Teams

K - Joe Nedney
P - Andy Lee
LS - Brian Jennings

Thoughts:

Snyder isn't going anywhere. He's done a much better job at RT with Smith at the helm, and he has the ability to play OG. Coaches love him, and he's a locker room favorite.

If David Baas isn't resigned, then Tony Wragge isn't going anywhere.

I don't think Marshall is going to sign with us, judging by our current lineup at WR - youth movement. We got Crabtree, and a better signing - price and #2 WR-wise - would be Malcom Floyd from the Chargers.

I like the other FA signings, but Washington will be a question mark during the offseason.

With the season that Goldson had, and since you didn't release Lewis, I don't see the 49ers going FS in the first round. I like that you drafted an OT with the second 1st round pick, but I am not high Vlad, especially that high in the first.

Pretty early with CB if we are resigning Bly. If we pick a CB in the 2nd, I think its going to be that we don't resign Bly/Harris, and he'll have ST potential as a KR/PR.

I don't want to be too critical. You target the right positions in your mock plan, but the selections and specific players leave me scratching my head for some.

No no, its OK to be a critic, after all that's why we put these things out there.

But your right, I forgot about Baas, I'll go back and edit that. As for Snyder your probably right, but he was my surprise release, you know how there's always one during the Preseason.

As for my picks, I was just thinking not to be too flashy, like how McCloughan did with Delanie Walker, Kentwan Balmer, Adam Snyder, Frank Gore, Daven Holly, and so. I chose players that I thought or think will shine during the off-season, with lots of potential. Again, I'm TRYING to do what I think McCloughan will do, not what I like. (well except for the Thomas and Soares pick atleast oh and the Canfield)

But thanks for your input GEEK. (stayed up till 2:00 in the morning to do this)
I like how your second round pick doesn't make the team
Also we will not carry 5 ILB
If we draft 2 CBs we will not keep Bly
We (more then likely) keep either Wragge or Baas. (My guess is Baas)
replace the QB with another possition and it's all alright by me
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Jan 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Fire McCloughan?

-9fA
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Damn your good!!!! Take it easy man, I did this at 2 in the morning. Edited now.

Damn your good!!!! Take it easy man, I did this at 2 in the morning. Edited now.

I have been up all night (I worked grave) and been up since yesterday
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by mayo63:

Agreed!

Here are some of my questions:

Michael Lewis sticks?

L. Washington = Great player, but will want serious bank to move
D. Lutui and Travis LaBoy = Not bad

Draft: Too many DB's and not enough lineman, offense and defense. A FCS player in the late first? After signing Washington in Free agency, you draft two more KR's. How many do we need?

If we could make Michael, Mark Roman and Dashon Goldson work, we could do the same with Earl Thomas in there. Michael Lewis will most likely have a reduced role in things that all, with Goldson starting.

Brandon Marshall, dude is a player, no way would I want to face him twice in Seattle, much rather have him on our team.

Leon Washington, well after all we got somewhere around 50 million in cap space, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't over-spend for a KR/ST guy anyway.

My draft, well, I did get rid of Mark Roman, Walt Harris and Marcus Hudson. All I did IMO, is add speed to our secondary.
Not bad
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Brandon Marshall, dude is a player, no way would I want to face him twice in Seattle, much rather have him on our team.

Having to face Boldin/Fitz and Marshall/Housh 2x a year would be a turrible thing for us.
Marshall and Letui will most likely be RFA's so we'd have to give-up draft picks to sign them.

Ducasse in the 1st would surprise the hell out of me, but a lot can happen between now and late April.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Marshall and Letui will most likely be RFA's so we'd have to give-up draft picks to sign them.

Ducasse in the 1st would surprise the hell out of me, but a lot can happen between now and late April.

I picked my free agents from Walterfootball.com, but according to them Marshall and Lutui won't be RFA's. Don't know how reliable they are though.
I like a lot of what you suggested. I really like Lutui and LaBoy, coming as under the radar free agents.

I also think Snyder has to stick, just from sheer versatility. Same with Wragge. Those guys are valuable.

Hudson, Evans, Battle...I think they're not adding much. But I can't see taking a safety that high. I'm thinking an OL and the front 7 of the defense could use some help.

They also can't add another developmental QB. Those guys won't get enough reps to grow.