There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best punt returner in the draft?

I think that our second biggest need this offseason, after RT, is a really good punt returner. Our kick-off return has been solid, not spectacular, but solid. However, our punt-return team has just been pathetic. Arnaz Battle doesn't have a punt return longer than 8 yards, averages under 1 yard/return, and has had costly muffed punts (I am so glad to see him go). We HAVE to draft someone that can turn that around. So, I've seen posts about shifty RB's and speedy little WR's, but I want to know who is the best pure punt returner in this draft. Not taking into account what position they play or what they would bring to the offense or defense or if they can also return kicks, I only want to know who is the best punt returner in the draft?

Arnaz Battle's pathetic PR stats
Spiller
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Statistically Dez Bryant > Spiller. Not just this year but throughtout their careers.

Bryant 22 for 431 3 td's 19.5avg
Spiller 58 for 569 1 td 9.8 avg
well this year lavon brazill from ohio university has 3 punt returns for touchdowns and that leads the fbs and he is a jr this year so idk if he is going to declare or not, you can get all the fbs stats at this website

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp
We have to get the return game taken care of this offseason!
Originally posted by krizay:
Statistically Dez Bryant > Spiller. Not just this year but throughtout their careers.

Bryant 22 for 431 3 td's 19.5avg
Spiller 58 for 569 1 td 9.8 avg

So is Dez Bryant as dynamic of a player as Spiller? I've heard a ton about Spiller and how explosive he is, but not as much about Bryant. Anyone watched a lot of games of these two players? Does Bryant have the breakaway speed that Spiller does?

Anyone know of anyone else besides Spiller and Bryant? Any other first rounders that are punt returners? Others in the later rounds? I don't watch a lot of college football, so I'm not familiar with any punter returners other than Spiller and a few other big name prospects that show up on Sportscenter.
lol once again, u can see the link above and go check out all the stats of fbs players, and see who is productive that u might not hear on espn
Originally posted by tohara3:
We have to get the return game taken care of this offseason!

Why would we do that. It is quality programming to see Battle take a couple steps forward, stop, and get tackled. We also get great botched reverses. It is all in good fun.
Originally posted by 228niner:
lol once again, u can see the link above and go check out all the stats of fbs players, and see who is productive that u might not hear on espn

I have, but the stats only tell you so much. Especially when trying to evaluate how players will transition into the NFL.
Dez Bryant might be the most dynamic player in the draft he is by far the best reciever and most nfl ready player on the board at any time that includes him bieng better than Clausen. He has break away speed coupled with great hands I might go as far as to say he is as good or better than Crabtree.
Originally posted by filthydogma:
Dez Bryant might be the most dynamic player in the draft he is by far the best reciever and most nfl ready player on the board at any time that includes him bieng better than Clausen. He has break away speed coupled with great hands I might go as far as to say he is as good or better than Crabtree.

crabtree and bryant would be the new scary duo in the NFC West that the cards held. Crabtree takes the fitz's spot with great hands and amazing catches while bryant is boldin like, breaking tackles and taking it to the house. but, ....... i doubt it would happen
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

crabtree and bryant would be the new scary duo in the NFC West that the cards held. Crabtree takes the fitz's spot with great hands and amazing catches while bryant is boldin like, breaking tackles and taking it to the house. but, ....... i doubt it would happen

We would have a lethal offense with Crab and Bryant on the outsides, VD in the middle, if we take an OL and then sign a blue chip guard in FA. My only question is where does the speed come from? IIRC Bryant runs a 4.5 or a 4.6, and he's a bigger WR at 6'3''. He runs angry and all which is great, he's going to be good, but I'm not sure if he's the stretch the field guy we need. I might rather spend a later pick on a guy like Damian Williams or a 4th or 5th on a guy like Emmanuel Sanders, use the 2 firsts on a FS/CB and an OT.
If it is just a pr you want, IMO you don't start looking until rather later. Yes, I know about field position and all the rest of it, but with our lists of needs and wants the higher picks need to be used carefully. A lower pick would suffice.

Of course, the pr/kr situation always gets confused by posters desire for the sexy picks. We can take a back or a receiver and let them return as well. And genuinely, I want support for Frank and an upgrade for the receivers. I shall be waiting for the first post that says we can't expose our high pick to injury by using them as a returner!

OL. DB. OLB. More OL
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

We would have a lethal offense with Crab and Bryant on the outsides, VD in the middle, if we take an OL and then sign a blue chip guard in FA. My only question is where does the speed come from? IIRC Bryant runs a 4.5 or a 4.6, and he's a bigger WR at 6'3''. He runs angry and all which is great, he's going to be good, but I'm not sure if he's the stretch the field guy we need. I might rather spend a later pick on a guy like Damian Williams or a 4th or 5th on a guy like Emmanuel Sanders, use the 2 firsts on a FS/CB and an OT.

gilyard in the 4th ? release jones, bruce, and battle
Javier Arenas

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66909&draftyear=2010&genpos=CB