There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog December 10th Top 13 Pick Mock Draft

Probably one of the more sensible mocks.

I am completely not on board with the Spiller & Bryant bandwagon.

-9fA
I'm still taking credit for popping the news about Lane first.

His upside alone would have me perfectly content if Scot saw fit to take him in the second. He's an astronomically better prospect than Lawrence Sidbury was.

Now as far as the draft -- I think on Anthony Davis, that's a pretty accurate assessment. He has got to get better in space. When he does lock on, yes, he's awesome, but that's the thing, he seems to really have a hard time hitting any defenders out in the open field. He basically just gets in the way (which I supposed isn't too bad sometimes).

You know who Davis reminds me of? Chilo Rachal, the tackle version.

I would indeed prefer Williams at RT, as he's more polished there than Davis.

So there's my feedback for the day. (Also, I agree Spiller would help us more, but that we'd probably take Haden instead.) Okay, I'm done now.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 10, 2009 at 18:25:42 ]
I would be happy with this draft for the Niners. Haden is a must as far as I am concerned and either Williams, Bullaga, or Spiller would work for me with the either first round pick.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Maddog, i'm just curious. Let's say we finish high enough to draft Eric Berry -- or he miraculously falls to us -- and for our second 1st round pick CJ Spiller is on the board and the top 2 OTs are not, do we go for CJ Spiller?

I don't think there is any way the team passes on an OT in the first round this year, unless they pick up a young, solid OT in free agency. I think they see Oher playing well for the Ravens, and wish they had that second first rounder last year. Supposedly, Oher was next on their board, after Crabtree.

If the main juniors come out: Davis, Bulaga, Campbell, the Niners should have lots of guys to select from in the first round, whether it be with their first or second selection.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Maddog, i'm just curious. Let's say we finish high enough to draft Eric Berry -- or he miraculously falls to us -- and for our second 1st round pick CJ Spiller is on the board and the top 2 OTs are not, do we go for CJ Spiller?

I don't think there is any way the team passes on an OT in the first round this year, unless they pick up a young, solid OT in free agency. I think they see Oher playing well for the Ravens, and wish they had that second first rounder last year. Supposedly, Oher was next on their board, after Crabtree.

If the main juniors come out: Davis, Bulaga, Campbell, the Niners should have lots of guys to select from in the first round, whether it be with their first or second selection.

So is our CB position more of a need pick or is there better quality at drafting haden vs any of the available OLB/DE's that will be on the board?
Great job MadDog. If I had my choice I want Spiller & Haden & get OT in the 2nd.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Nice effort MadDog, but I think in that scenario you have to take Haden 1st. Houston would take him there. They just signed Antonio Smith to a huge contract to be Mario Williams bookend. Their secondary lacks blue-chip talent.

I still feel that the 49ers could move down and get Williams.

Jake Locker is not a lock to come out (Sarkisian is convinced he'll stay).

Tampa Bay's OL is actually pretty good.

The Chiefs and Lions defenses are atrocious, but they'd be wise to build around their young, high-priced QBs.

I hate to make absolutes but I think the Rams are a lock to take a QB.
I don't like a RT with the #11 pick at all. We could trade down, stockpile more picks and still get a RT. I definitely don't like a CB with the #13 pick. Nate Clements will come back next year and he is a solid player despite the way he is maligned on this board. A greater pass rush would help all our corners. Plus Nate is mostly criticized because of his salary. It's the $80 Million. If it was $30 - $40 Million nobody would complain. But it actually is $30 Million something guaranteed so he is worth that easily IMO. Corner is not as much of a problem on this team as some of our other problems.

I would really hate this draft but Scot M. is stupid enough to do something like this so it scares me for sure.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't like a RT with the #11 pick at all. We could trade down, stockpile more picks and still get a RT. I definitely don't like a CB with the #13 pick. Nate Clements will come back next year and he is a solid player despite the way he is maligned on this board. A greater pass rush would help all our corners. Plus Nate is mostly criticized because of his salary. It's the $80 Million. If it was $30 - $40 Million nobody would complain. But it actually is $30 Million something guaranteed so he is worth that easily IMO. Corner is not as much of a problem on this team as some of our other problems.

I would really hate this draft but Scot M. is stupid enough to do something like this so it scares me for sure.

No offense but this is WAY better than the 1st round selections you suggested. If the Niners do what you want and select Dez Bryant and Taylor Mays then Scott will show his stupidity. Maddog's picks are solid. Sure the Niners might be able to move down with the 2nd first rd pick but I dont think he was making trades with the first 13 picks. Joe Haden should absolutley be our pick but should be the first of the first rounders.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Nice effort MadDog, but I think in that scenario you have to take Haden 1st. Houston would take him there. They just signed Antonio Smith to a huge contract to be Mario Williams bookend. Their secondary lacks blue-chip talent.

I still feel that the 49ers could move down and get Williams.

Jake Locker is not a lock to come out (Sarkisian is convinced he'll stay).

Tampa Bay's OL is actually pretty good.

The Chiefs and Lions defenses are atrocious, but they'd be wise to build around their young, high-priced QBs.

I hate to make absolutes but I think the Rams are a lock to take a QB.

I think Locker stays for his Senior year. I have been saying as much for awhile. After last year nobody even mentioned him in the same breath as McCoy, Tebow, Bradford etc..

He will be an even better pro prospect after another year under Sarkisian and will be the undisputed best QB in the 2011 class. Personally I hope he does come out because I think it would improve the 49ers chances of landing Berry.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

No offense but this is WAY better than the 1st round selections you suggested. If the Niners do what you want and select Dez Bryant and Taylor Mays then Scott will show his stupidity. Maddog's picks are solid. Sure the Niners might be able to move down with the 2nd first rd pick but I dont think he was making trades with the first 13 picks. Joe Haden should absolutley be our pick but should be the first of the first rounders.

I would definitely take Dez Bryant. We need more weapons still. Look at N.O. or AZ or Indy or the Pats. They have 4, 5, 6 weapons on the field often times. The league is going towards Offense with all the rule changes.

I'm ok with somebody different from Taylor Mays.

I definitely don't want Joe Haden or an corner with one of our firsts. Nate Clements will come back and he is fine with pass rush if we can get a pass rush. Something we haven't had in years around here.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 10, 2009 at 21:34:48 ]

I would definitely take Dez Bryant. We need more weapons still. Look at N.O. or AZ or Indy or the Pats. They have 4, 5, 6 weapons on the field often times. The league is going towards Offense with all the rule changes.

I definitely don't want Joe Haden or an corner with one of our firsts. Nate Clements will come back and he is fine with pass rush if we can get a pass rush. Something we haven't had in years around here.

Nate Clements is on the decline in my opinion and would be better suited for FS similar to the path that Ronnie Lott took. Joe Haden would come in and be our best corner. We need a passrusher and a corner to become an elite defense. On offense we need a solid RT and someone like CJ Spiller. While Bryant would be nice to have he is a luxury we cant afford.

Nate Clements is on the decline in my opinion and would be better suited for FS similar to the path that Ronnie Lott took. Joe Haden would come in and be our best corner. We need a passrusher and a corner to become an elite defense. On offense we need a solid RT and someone like CJ Spiller. While Bryant would be nice to have he is a luxury we cant afford.

LOL.

He's not on the decline. You guys on the WZ are hillarious about Nate. He jumped one route vs. Atlanta and people think he can't play. He's shut down Larry Fitzgerald many times since he's been here. And he played super vs Andre Johnson. We have far bigger problems on this roster than Nate Clements.

Zero pass rush + Safety problems = the biggest problems with our pass defense.

LOL.

He's not on the decline. You guys on the WZ are hillarious about Nate. He jumped one route vs. Atlanta and people think he can't play. He's shut down Larry Fitzgerald many times since he's been here. And he played super vs Andre Johnson. We have far bigger problems on this roster than Nate Clements.

You can laugh all you want but the guy has been a disapointment in my eyes. Maybe the money is part of that but it has not proved to be a good signing. But take him out of the equation. Dre Bly sucks and I think Brown is overmatched. You simply cannot have enough very good corners.

You talk about having offensive weapons. Well if the teams in the league are doing that wouldnt it make sense that you should have the defensive studs to cover them? WHat is laughable is that you think are cornerbacks are strong enough to do that. Joe Haden would add a LOT to this team. Put Haden and someone like Hughes or Graham in our lineup next year and you might actually see us get to the next level. I dont think you can say the same for adding Dez Bryant.

LOL.

You can laugh all you want but the guy has been a disapointment in my eyes. Maybe the money is part of that but it has not proved to be a good signing. But take him out of the equation. Dre Bly sucks and I think Brown is overmatched. You simply cannot have enough very good corners.

You talk about having offensive weapons. Well if the teams in the league are doing that wouldnt it make sense that you should have the defensive studs to cover them? WHat is laughable is that you think are cornerbacks are strong enough to do that. Joe Haden would add a LOT to this team. Put Haden and someone like Hughes or Graham in our lineup next year and you might actually see us get to the next level. I dont think you can say the same for adding Dez Bryant.

Our Offense would be unbelievable with Dez Bryant, Crabtree, VD, maybe C.J. Spiller and the emergence of Alex Smith.

I just don't see Joe Haden as a real shutdown corner at the NFL level. I guess it depends how fast he runs and how athletic he turns out to be. He has lots of great players on his college team too which makes him look better than he perhaps is. I need to know more about Haden first at the workouts to say I would want him or not. But an any rate I wouldn't even put CB in our top 5 needs for 2010.