There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trading up for Okung

With Carolina's remaining schedule, I expect them to end up with 5 or 6 wins and picking between 6 - 9 in the draft. With that said, would you trade up from that spot to snag Okung at #4 or #5 if he's there? According to the draft value chart, a move like that (from #8 to #5) is worth a 4th rounder.
no
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
2 1st rounders for a RT is a bad idea all around.
No way. Okung is good but not phenomenal. He just got worked by the Oklahoma defense on Saturday by McCoy, Alexander and Beal. Based on his last performance, he should still be around after the top 5 picks.
No. The Niners need help in several postions and should not trade up to get Okung. It isnt like the guy is Orlando Pace and he wont even play LT.

I would actually like to see the Niners take one of their first round picks and move down to get an additional 2nd rd pick. 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders could get them an OT, OLB, OG, and CB/S.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
No. The Niners need help in several postions and should not trade up to get Okung. It isnt like the guy is Orlando Pace and he wont even play LT.

I would actually like to see the Niners take one of their first round picks and move down to get an additional 2nd rd pick. 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders could get them an OT, OLB, OG, and CB/S.

If that were possible and we could get a lower round 1st and an additional 2nd would be great.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

This is what I have been hoping for all along to happen on draft day.
I'd stay put with those two 1st rounders and grab the best OT on the board, then go BPA with the second first rounder.
Originally posted by TX9R:

Did you bother to read his post before replying?

I didn't say 2 #1s, I said a 1st and a 4th, which is what the trade value chart dictates.
We should absolutely trade down in the first if we can get additional picks. This is going to be one of the deepest drafts ever with the uncapped year. Juniors are going to come out in waves due to the fact there may be a rookie cap in 2011 (similar to NBA).
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I didn't say 2 #1s, I said a 1st and a 4th, which is what the trade value chart dictates.

Originally posted by nickbradley:
With Carolina's remaining schedule, I expect them to end up with 5 or 6 wins and picking between 6 - 9 in the draft. With that said, would you trade up from that spot to snag Okung at #4 or #5 if he's there? According to the draft value chart, a move like that (from #8 to #5) is worth a 4th rounder.

Right now there are 7 teams with fewer wins and 3 with as many. So the chances are they will be drafting between 7-12 or 7-14.

And the chart makes sense for a 4th IF they were drafting 6th and Okung could be had at 5, otherwise a move to 4 requires more than a 4th (it requires pick # 78 aka the 14th pick in round 3). And if they are drafting 7-9 then it's more to pony up.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
I'd stay put with those two 1st rounders and grab the best OT on the board, then go BPA with the second first rounder.

That's very dangerous. If the BPA isn't an OT, you're either forced to reach or go with another position and hope you'll get an OT with your next pick. Eventually, you run the risk that you never draft the tackle you need -- like last year. All the blue-chip OTs were off the board, and we went BPA. In the second round, Eben Britton went off the board a few picks before us. In the third round, Loadholt was already gone and Robert Brewster was too much of a reach. So, we end up with nothing.
No way. Given the amount of quality OTs in the first for our RT needs, I'd say to trade up for Eric Berry instead.

I too also believe that Carolina's pick will be top ten even top 5 potentially. I really don't see them winning two games, at most one and that's next week against TB which might upset them leaving them with 0-5 to finish out the year with only FOUR wins...damn!!!

The Raiders, Chief and Redskins all have the ability to win one more making them even with the Panthers. There is so much time left that it is anyone's guess, but I really like our top 10 chances right now.

My scenario would be Berry or trade down if he's taken. Maybe pick up another second so we would have four picks in the top 64. If that is the case, I would want to do this:

1a: Williams
1b: Iupati
2a: Hughes
2b: J. Arenas

We get our OL fixed. We get a great pass rusher to add to the mix and we land a very dynamic RS in Arenas and give us depth in the secondary.

However, my choice right now would be to get Berry no matter what especially if we are so close in the top 10. He would be the one to jump for, IMO. He would immediately take M. Lewis' spot allowing he and Goldson to be an incredible tandem at the safety positions.

We certainly have some options though!

Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home