There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers draft and off-season (early) thoughts

Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
We might be able to get Berry with the Carolina pick and Bulaga with our second pick.

I don't thinks so.. Let's just say we have the 10th and 20th picks. I think Berry is off the board by #10, he is just that versatile and good, and Bulaga will likely be gone by # 20 since there just aren't that many really good OTs in the draft. Good OTs come off the board really quickly. Remember 2 years ago, I think 7 were draftedd in the 1st round.

I think we should be thinking OL, OL, OL.. and then just for good measure OL.

I actually think we need a new starting LG, C (yes, Eric Heitman sucks!), RT and possibly RG. I would not give up on Rachal yet but he needs to be pushed in the off-season in TC and im not talking about being pushed by Wragge or Snyder I mean a solid vetran for a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rd draft pick.

I really hope we solidify the LG posistion in free agency. Longan Mankins would be awsome and kill two, maybe three birds with one stone as he is a great pass blocker, run blocker and would bring a mean and nasty attitude to our O-Line which badly needs one!

Wow! Maddog sighting in 5. 4. 3. 2....

Seriously, how can you say Heit sucks? With little or no support from our poor-ish guards he stands out as one of our best OL.

I agree about the need to draft OL though. Been banging on this drum for rather a long time
If we miss out of Berry, I say we pull a Jets move and draft 2 O Lineman in the 1st. A good, young o line would benefit us for years.
Originally posted by GEEK:
If we get Iupati in the draft, we could compete Baas with Rachal at RG.

Baas has prior experience at RG. This allows Wragge to focus on center.

LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Iupati
OC: Heitmann/Wragge
RG: Baas/Rachal
RT: Rookie/Snyder

Baas becomes a FA after this season, doesn't he? Right now I can't see why he should be re-signed.

I haven't seen anything of Wragge this year. Have I missed him or what? But if he can't get serious playing time in this O line then there is a problem. So maybe it is Wallace behind Heit?
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GEEK:
If we get Iupati in the draft, we could compete Baas with Rachal at RG.

Baas has prior experience at RG. This allows Wragge to focus on center.

LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Iupati
OC: Heitmann/Wragge
RG: Baas/Rachal
RT: Rookie/Snyder

Baas becomes a FA after this season, doesn't he? Right now I can't see why he should be re-signed.

I haven't seen anything of Wragge this year. Have I missed him or what? But if he can't get serious playing time in this O line then there is a problem. So maybe it is Wallace behind Heit?

Depends. If they reach a collective bargaining agreement he becomes a free agent. If it's an uncapped year he becomes a restricted free agent and that pretty much guarantees that he stays. If it's an uncapped season we need to keep him. Worse case scenario he's here to push Rachal/ Heittman.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
We might be able to get Berry with the Carolina pick and Bulaga with our second pick.

I don't thinks so.. Let's just say we have the 10th and 20th picks. I think Berry is off the board by #10, he is just that versatile and good, and Bulaga will likely be gone by # 20 since there just aren't that many really good OTs in the draft. Good OTs come off the board really quickly. Remember 2 years ago, I think 7 were draftedd in the 1st round.

I think we should be thinking OL, OL, OL.. and then just for good measure OL.

I actually think we need a new starting LG, C (yes, Eric Heitman sucks!), RT and possibly RG. I would not give up on Rachal yet but he needs to be pushed in the off-season in TC and im not talking about being pushed by Wragge or Snyder I mean a solid vetran for a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rd draft pick.

I really hope we solidify the LG posistion in free agency. Longan Mankins would be awsome and kill two, maybe three birds with one stone as he is a great pass blocker, run blocker and would bring a mean and nasty attitude to our O-Line which badly needs one!

Wow! Maddog sighting in 5. 4. 3. 2....

Seriously, how can you say Heit sucks? With little or no support from our poor-ish guards he stands out as one of our best OL.

I agree about the need to draft OL though. Been banging on this drum for rather a long time

Our O-Line has sucked the last 3 years and he is the one constant on the O-Line. He gets no push and that is a big reason why we struggle running the ball up the middle on short yardage and really in general. Plus when I watch other team I see their centers take on blockers on the 2nd level, I almost never see Heitman do that, when was the last time you seen Heitman take out a linebacker?
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Great read. How good of a FS could Clements be? Would he be Probowl calibre?

I think he would instantly be a top 3 FS. Then we could move Goldson to SS due to M Lew retirement.

I think Goldson has played well his first year as starter and at FS but I think he can be a special SS in the NFL. It is also clear this guy is a natural leader and I think he will be the leader of our defense for years to come.

I think he would instantly be a top 3 FS. Then we could move Goldson to SS due to M Lew retirement.

I think Goldson has played well his first year as starter and at FS but I think he can be a special SS in the NFL. It is also clear this guy is a natural leader and I think he will be the leader of our defense for years to come.

The biggest problem with moving Clements to safety is that puts in desperate need of a corner. Spencer, Brown, old washed up corner just won't cut it especially with Spencer's durability concerns.

Unless we draft a corner that's ready to contribute immediately I'm keeping Clements at corner.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
If we miss out of Berry, I say we pull a Jets move and draft 2 O Lineman in the 1st. A good, young o line would benefit us for years.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I would like to see Nate be moved to safety next year.

Free or strong?
Originally posted by tjd808185:

The biggest problem with moving Clements to safety is that puts in desperate need of a corner. Spencer, Brown, old washed up corner just won't cut it especially with Spencer's durability concerns.

Unless we draft a corner that's ready to contribute immediately I'm keeping Clements at corner.

That would put CB higher on the list of draft picks. Is there a CB that would be an instant starter in this years draft?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

That would put CB higher on the list of draft picks. Is there a CB that would be an instant starter in this years draft?

There are some good prospects, but the 49ers have to luxury to draft a CB and allow him to develop as the nickel back first.

Regardless if we draft a CB early or late, Spencer and Brown will be our starters.

Patrick Robinson and Syd Thompson are two guys that come to mind.
Are Robinson and Thompson first rounders?
Originally posted by TheChozen:

I am totally down with that... OL, OL, OL!!!!
1st round-OL
1st round-OL
2nd round-OL
3rd round-OL
4th round-OL
5th round-OL
6th round-OL
7th round-OL

UDFA's-OL

Spend all of day one picks on oline.