LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

49ers draft and off-season (early) thoughts

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Spend all of day one picks on oline.

Day one is now only the 1st rd. Thank you Goodell for f'ing up the draft
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by tohara3:
I would like to see Nate be moved to safety next year.

Free or strong?

I was thinking free safety, but now that you made me think about it he may work at strong safety. He loves to come up in run support & could make plays around the line of scrimmage also.
My FA's would be Peppers and Mankins.. I'd trade Haralson(told some of you he was overrated and would be a bust if we extended him-reminds me of the Sopoaga situation years earlier and turned out same way).. I'd dump Demetric Evans, Cody Wallace, Issac Bruce, Barry Sims, and Mark Roman... I'd trade Sopoaga, Haralson and Battle... I'd then draft Ndamkon Su and the big NT from Oklahoma(4-get his name). Then get an RT and FS. Lastly, trade for a monster KR (Ted Ginn ?)..

[ Edited by toppdogg32 on Nov 9, 2009 at 21:38:25 ]
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I can say for sure after next years draft and off-season, we can really judge and grade McCloughan. This is his 2nd full season in complete charge and even though last year's draft doesen't look very good right now, it is still to early to give it a definite grade. Look at the 07 draft, up until this year only Staley and Willis were really producing from that draft but now we have four starters from that particular draft (Willis, Staley, Goldson and Tarrell Brown).

Were going to have some money to spend as is just about everyone else as it looks like there will be no cap. I think Nate Clements is gone, at least his currently 2010 salary ($6mill). I would hope he would restructre and we move him to FS and Dashon Goldson to SS. Aubrayo Franklin is going to be an UFA and that M'Fer went from being a weakness on the team to playing a pro bowl level this year. I would hate to lose him but I would not pay him pro bowl money, at least long term. I would even consider franchising him and tendering him for one year rather than giving hima 5yr deal with a big signing bounes.

Like I said before, I think if Logan Mankins hits the open market, I think we sign him. The last couple of years we have been interested in the likes of Alan Faneca and Jordan Gross, I think we are willing to pay top dollar for a top O-Lineman and Mankins is a guy the team always wanted plus he is a Cali native and would be a major upgrade at LG. He pass blocks like a top left tackle and is a very good run blocker and would also bring a mean, nasty, winning attitude to our offensive line.

Lets talk draft for a little bit....

Carolina's pick I think could be anywhere from 6 to 15. They have a pretty tough up-coming schedule and I fully expect their pick to be in the top 10. Now people will say we have to trade down if it is a top 10 pick, I disagree. #1, a lot more teams these days want to trade down rather than trade up so it's not like it's going to be easy to move down. #2, this team needs impact players. Starters who can be big time players. We don't need to move down and have 13 or 14 picks anymore, we don't even have room or a need on a roster for that many guys. I'd rather get a big time player at #9 than trade down to 22 and get a decent starter and 2 good backups.

As far as our picks goes, I think it could be a top 10 pick to and it could be as high as 22 if we win the division. I think it will be in the 14-18 range.

If Carolina's pick is a top 10 pick, we should have a shot at the top OT's in the draft... Russell Okung from Oklahoma State, Trent Williams from Oklahoma and Bryan Bulaga from Iowa. Okung's stock is really is on the rise and right now I would say he will be the first OT takent. He is more of a LT though and I think a bit more raw than Bulaga and Williams, those he does have more upside. I like Trent Williams from Oklahoma and while he is the starting LT for Oklahoma this year, I think he is a better fit at RT in the NFL and he had been the Sooners starting RT prior to this season. He is a big guy with long arms who has shown he can be dominant in the running game and a good pass blocker. Bulaga is a player that I have watched closely the last few weeks and he is a player. He is a true mauler with a mean strak and I think you can put him at RT and not worry about the posistion for 10 years. I don't think he will be a pro bowler but he will be solid as a rock and he just the big, mean, physical, nasty run blocker Singletary is looking for.

With our 2nd 1st rd pick.....Man I don't know, could be best player available or a guy like C.J Spiller who can play RB, WR and is an awsome kick returner. I think he is very similar but maybe even better than Percy Harvin. Maybe a 3-4 pass rusher but im not that big on Greg Hardy from Ole Miss and he seems to be the top guy and Dunlap from Florida is more a 4-3 guy and im not that impressed with him either. I do love Florida's cornerback, Joe Hayden. One player that is catching my eye more and more is Jerry Hughes the DE from TCU who I think can excell as a rush 3-4 OLB.

Oh and not that I think we will be picking high enough to get him but IMO the best player in the 2010 draft...Eric Berry, S, Tennessee aka the next Ed Reed.

No Trent Williams! Have you seen him play this year? He's been horrible. I'm an OU fan & have watched all his college games. He was good before this season (though I felt overrated), but he's been awful this year (think Kwame).
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
My FA's would be Peppers and Mankins.. I'd trade Haralson(told some of you he was overrated and would be a bust if we extended him-reminds me of the Sopoaga situation years earlier and turned out same way).. I'd dump Demetric Evans, Cody Wallace, Issac Bruce, Barry Sims, and Mark Roman... I'd trade Sopoaga, Haralson and Battle... I'd then draft Ndamkon Su and the big NT from Oklahoma(4-get his name). Then get an RT and FS. Lastly, trade for a monster KR (Ted Ginn ?)..

What color is the sky in your world??
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
I can say for sure after next years draft and off-season, we can really judge and grade McCloughan. This is his 2nd full season in complete charge and even though last year's draft doesen't look very good right now, it is still to early to give it a definite grade. Look at the 07 draft, up until this year only Staley and Willis were really producing from that draft but now we have four starters from that particular draft (Willis, Staley, Goldson and Tarrell Brown).

Were going to have some money to spend as is just about everyone else as it looks like there will be no cap. I think Nate Clements is gone, at least his currently 2010 salary ($6mill). I would hope he would restructre and we move him to FS and Dashon Goldson to SS. Aubrayo Franklin is going to be an UFA and that M'Fer went from being a weakness on the team to playing a pro bowl level this year. I would hate to lose him but I would not pay him pro bowl money, at least long term. I would even consider franchising him and tendering him for one year rather than giving hima 5yr deal with a big signing bounes.

Like I said before, I think if Logan Mankins hits the open market, I think we sign him. The last couple of years we have been interested in the likes of Alan Faneca and Jordan Gross, I think we are willing to pay top dollar for a top O-Lineman and Mankins is a guy the team always wanted plus he is a Cali native and would be a major upgrade at LG. He pass blocks like a top left tackle and is a very good run blocker and would also bring a mean, nasty, winning attitude to our offensive line.

Carolina's pick I think could be anywhere from 6 to 15. They have a pretty tough up-coming schedule and I fully expect their pick to be in the top 10. Now people will say we have to trade down if it is a top 10 pick, I disagree. #1, a lot more teams these days want to trade down rather than trade up so it's not like it's going to be easy to move down. #2, this team needs impact players. Starters who can be big time players. We don't need to move down and have 13 or 14 picks anymore, we don't even have room or a need on a roster for that many guys. I'd rather get a big time player at #9 than trade down to 22 and get a decent starter and 2 good backups.

As far as our picks goes, I think it could be a top 10 pick to and it could be as high as 22 if we win the division. I think it will be in the 14-18 range.

If Carolina's pick is a top 10 pick, we should have a shot at the top OT's in the draft... Russell Okung from Oklahoma State, Trent Williams from Oklahoma and Bryan Bulaga from Iowa. Okung's stock is really is on the rise and right now I would say he will be the first OT takent. He is more of a LT though and I think a bit more raw than Bulaga and Williams, those he does have more upside. I like Trent Williams from Oklahoma and while he is the starting LT for Oklahoma this year, I think he is a better fit at RT in the NFL and he had been the Sooners starting RT prior to this season. He is a big guy with long arms who has shown he can be dominant in the running game and a good pass blocker. Bulaga is a player that I have watched closely the last few weeks and he is a player. He is a true mauler with a mean strak and I think you can put him at RT and not worry about the posistion for 10 years. I don't think he will be a pro bowler but he will be solid as a rock and he just the big, mean, physical, nasty run blocker Singletary is looking for.

With our 2nd 1st rd pick.....Man I don't know, could be best player available or a guy like C.J Spiller who can play RB, WR and is an awsome kick returner. I think he is very similar but maybe even better than Percy Harvin. Maybe a 3-4 pass rusher but im not that big on Greg Hardy from Ole Miss and he seems to be the top guy and Dunlap from Florida is more a 4-3 guy and im not that impressed with him either. I do love Florida's cornerback, Joe Hayden. One player that is catching my eye more and more is Jerry Hughes the DE from TCU who I think can excell as a rush 3-4 OLB.

Oh and not that I think we will be picking high enough to get him but IMO the best player in the 2010 draft...Eric Berry, S, Tennessee aka the next Ed Reed.

No Trent Williams! Have you seen him play this year? He's been horrible. I'm an OU fan & have watched all his college games. He was good before this season (though I felt overrated), but he's been awful this year (think Kwame).

He's more of a right tackle. He played most of his college career on the right side and made the switch this year. That's why he hasn't dominated.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:

He has not had a great season but he has not been horrible and he is a much better fit at RT where he played before this season.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

I cant believe he didnt say we should trade for Peyton Manning as well. These posts are well... far fetched to put it nicely.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

I cant believe he didnt say we should trade for Peyton Manning as well. These posts are well... far fetched to put it nicely.

Haha, but in Madden you can......
This talk of getting rid of Nate Clements is absurd. He's one of our best players. We don't have a talented enough team to have the luxury of getting rid of top 5 players on the team even if they are overpaid. So overpay them and keep them.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 10, 2009 at 23:23:26 ]

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This talk of getting rid of Nate Clements is absurd. He's one of our best players. We don't have a talented enough team to have the luxury of getting rid of top 5 players on the team even if they are overpaid. So overpay them and keep them.

Agreed. If Clements is healthy, he stays. I also think the talk about moving him to FS is absurd, too. He is a CB, plain and simple. I think the Niners need to add some speed at the safety position to help Clements and the other CB's over the top. Is that Taylor Mays, Eric Berry or someone else? We will see.....
Share 49ersWebzone