There are 291 users in the forums

Matt Barkley 2012

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by nipplehead:
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's surrounded by tons and tons of talent. He throws a 2 yard pass and guys take it 30 - 40 yards for a TD like today. That's what he's playing with. I don't know let it play out a few more years. He's very young. He seems pretty accurate and has good poise but I don't know about all this #1 pick in 2012 and Heisman in the future stuff. Let it play out a little. He's only played a few games on the college level.

Plus as always there is the ever present Left Coast bias on the WZ. "Anybody who plays at USC or CAL is a future super star and should be the #1 pick and should win the Heisman."

Well we have to balance out the ESPN/sports media SEC and East Coast dick-sucking that goes on everywhere else in the nation.

Well-put.

To me the media has the right to be biased more of the SEC. It is clearly the best conference in football. Since 1998 they have had 7 National Champs in that span (been in and won every one since 2006) with the Big 12 holding tuff with 2 Championships is the conference to them. I am a Tide fan and been one since I was 7 years old (1993 when they beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl) and I am not biased in any way. If you want your team to have some competition come play a team from the SEC. Being from NC I despise ACC football. I think that should change it to ASS because that is what it is.

- not only is the SEC the best conference, but College Football is more popular in the South than the NFL -- at least in the Deep South. They're catering to their fan base...NCAAF fans are disproportionally in the south.

- Most baseball fans are also in the Northeast, so I understand the coverage...

I got family in Arkansas and the way they treat college football is on a whole other level. I mean 9 out of 10 ppl were wearing go hogs shirts. the stewardess on the plane leaving little rock was grilling a guy b/c he had on a Alabama hat.

Different world...
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
He's surrounded by tons and tons of talent. He throws a 2 yard pass and guys take it 30 - 40 yards for a TD like today. That's what he's playing with. I don't know let it play out a few more years. He's very young. He seems pretty accurate and has good poise but I don't know about all this #1 pick in 2012 and Heisman in the future stuff. Let it play out a little. He's only played a few games on the college level.

Plus as always there is the ever present Left Coast bias on the WZ. "Anybody who plays at USC or CAL is a future super star and should be the #1 pick and should win the Heisman."

Well we have to balance out the ESPN/sports media SEC and East Coast dick-sucking that goes on everywhere else in the nation.

Well-put.

To me the media has the right to be biased more of the SEC. It is clearly the best conference in football. Since 1998 they have had 7 National Champs in that span (been in and won every one since 2006) with the Big 12 holding tuff with 2 Championships is the conference to them. I am a Tide fan and been one since I was 7 years old (1993 when they beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl) and I am not biased in any way. If you want your team to have some competition come play a team from the SEC. Being from NC I despise ACC football. I think that should change it to ASS because that is what it is.

- not only is the SEC the best conference, but College Football is more popular in the South than the NFL -- at least in the Deep South. They're catering to their fan base...NCAAF fans are disproportionally in the south.

Nick you're back! Right in time for the draft. Welcome back!

Thanks - my dream draft, BTW, is Peterson in the 1st, Locker or Ponder in the 2nd, and Acho, Moch, or another pass-rusher in the 3rd.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Well-put.

This. You west coast guys always talk about bias but the facts are that for the most part you teams suck at all sports, hence no coverage. The Lakers aren't lacking for coverage, neither was USC until this past year, coincedentally they weren't any good. I remember the 90s, the Patriots got zero coverage, is it east coast bias that they do now? Or is it because they win? The Miami Heat got no coverage and they won title recently. Now their every where. Winning.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
i personally think that Barkley is just another Kyle Boller in the making..
Originally posted by TX9R:

Well-put.

This. You west coast guys always talk about bias but the facts are that for the most part you teams suck at all sports, hence no coverage. The Lakers aren't lacking for coverage, neither was USC until this past year, coincedentally they weren't any good. I remember the 90s, the Patriots got zero coverage, is it east coast bias that they do now? Or is it because they win? The Miami Heat got no coverage and they won title recently. Now their every where. Winning.

I think it has to do with where the fans are by intensity and density. The East Coast and the Midwest are where NFL matters the most -- Californians have better things to do with their time in the winter.

Baseball is heavily concentrated on the East Coast -- they don't give a damn about baseball in the South.

College Basketball is on the East Coast.

College Football is in the South.

Hockey is in the Midwest.

Who gives a sh*t about the NBA?

Well-put.

I think it has to do with where the fans are by intensity and density. The East Coast and the Midwest are where NFL matters the most -- Californians have better things to do with their time in the winter.

Baseball is heavily concentrated on the East Coast -- they don't give a damn about baseball in the South.

True that b/c if it was 60/65 on sundays during football i would have a hard time sitting inside and watching football the whole day. But when it's 25 degrees and a possible blizzard is coming I'm in the house. Here in DC after the Redskins it's college basketball, hockey, college football, then baseball. And DC is different b/c we just got a baseball team.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Well-put.

True that b/c if it was 60/65 on sundays during football i would have a hard time sitting inside and watching football the whole day. But when it's 25 degrees and a possible blizzard is coming I'm in the house. Here in DC after the Redskins it's college basketball, hockey, college football, then baseball. And DC is different b/c we just got a baseball team.

Yep - I live in Colorado and we either get a Blizzard or a beautiful Lake Tahoe-Esque sunny day in the winter. When I get that nice day in the winter, it's really hard to sit on the couch for 6+ hours. I used to live in the Midwest, and the weather is icy, cold, and sh*tty from November to March.

On DC, I heard everyone there is still an Orioles fan - but that could change if Bryce Harper pans out: the guy is the hottest prospect since Ken Griffey Jr and is compared to Mickey Mantle!
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Thought I'd bring this back up.

If we don't land a QB this year or Luck next year, this guy looks the part.

Luck and Barkley could be 1-2 next year.

Yeah, if we still don't have "The Guy" by this time next year Barkley might not be a bad fall back option. Still, we might need to have a pretty high pick to get him.

Well-put.

I just gotta say Washington is pretty crazy about sports in general. Think about it. I don't think any other city fills an MLS game like they do. Soccer of all sports... in the US
i still want matt barkley. Luck is gonna go first but barkley might be just as good a pro prospect.

Originally posted by darkknight49:
i still want matt barkley. Luck is gonna go first but barkley might be just as good a pro prospect.

that would be strange if carroll gets luck and harbaugh gets barkley
it could conceivably happen.
Thanks - my dream draft, BTW, is Peterson in the 1st, Locker or Ponder in the 2nd, and Acho, Moch, or another pass-rusher in the 3rd.

lol didn't happen
I thought he looked lousy today except for a long rd bomb which was cool
I'd take Jones, Luck, and Lindley over Barkley
Share 49ersWebzone