Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Another year of Hill/Smith/Davis? If that's how the QB depth chart stacks up next season, then this team's toast already.

You have yet to see Davis play. Give him a shot before going off and drafting a QB in the 1st round in a year where all the QBs hold a question mark.

No we don't. That's like Baltimore passing on Flacco because they drafted Troy Smith a year earlier, and even if we draft a 1st rounder Nate Davis could get still get an oppurtunity.

Unless you have a franchise QB you don't rule out taking one. We have to scout these guys and if one grades high enough we have to take them.

We are not in position to draft a QB just to draft a QB. What a waste it would be to draft a QB in the 1st round, pay him all that money, only to have Nate Davis outperform him.

The Flacco/Troy Smith argument doesn't really work because I'm sure no one in Baltimore predicted Troy Smith to be their franchise signal caller.

Nate Davis was projected to go as high as the 2nd round but news of a learning disability as well as his mediocre performances the last two games of his college career dropped his stock. Just like all the other QBs in this upcoming draft, Nate Davis has all the tools you're looking for in a QB.

It's the exact same situation. Troy Smith was projected to be a 1st rounder slipped after the national game and height issues, and was actually going to start the season before an injury gave Flacco the job.

Not a waste at all either. Quarterbacks don't lose trade value until they're a proven bust. If Davis wins the job and becomes the franchise guy the 1st rounder can easily be traded for pretty much the same value that we took him at. Or if the 1st rounder wins and Davis still looks pretty good Davis could be traded for a 2nd rounder ala Matt Cassell, Matt Schaub.

I don't know what you're talking about because I don't remember Troy Smith ever being considered as a 1st round prospect. Yes he was supposed to start the season, but that was only because they didn't want to throw their 1st round rookie QB to the wolves.

Another thing about trading QBs, it is not that easy to trade QBs especially if you think we can get the same value. GMs are always going to think "he was beaten out in training camp" and such. Say Davis does do well but we decide to trade him, you really think we can get a 2nd rounder for a guy who probably hasn't played a regular season snap?

Go back to mocks before the national title and guarantee you will see Troy Smith as a 1st/2nd rounder.

Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees. Rivers could easily been traded for a 1st rounder. GM's won't hold against the rookie just because the current starter developed before the rookie ever had a chance to.

Hard to find a lot of the 2007 mocks, but a couple that I saw had him in the 4th-5th round grade.

After the national title game Mike Mayock said he believed Troy Smith was still a 2nd rounder.

Maybe I'm wrong about him being a 1st rounder, but his stock dropped significantly between January and the draft.

I guess i gotta give it to you there. Troy Smith, 2nd round prospect

That year Colt Brennan, Andre Woodson, and even John David Bootie were at one point talked up as 1st-2nd rounders. Up until the Senior Bowl/combine draft talk is alot speculation and non sense. That's why I don't care that at one point someone thought Nate Davis could be a 2nd rounder.

Yea you're right. The only difference between the guys you named and Nate is that Nate performed well at the combine.

Not well enough to keep his stock.

I'm pretty sure it was his "learning disability" that kept teams away. His college record was outstanding as well as his numbers.

It was more of him not looking impressive in his senior year. His stock dropped throughout the college season. It didn't just plummet b/c of his learning disability. If they think you can play they will work around that.

How did he have a bad year? Ball St. was 12-2 last year and Davis had a QB rating of 156.7. He only had 8 picks and threw 26 TDs. He passed for almost 3600 yards.

Bad year was wrong choice of words. More like lackluster, and his last 3 games really killed him. And he was horrible in the GMAC bowl. Plus you have to factor in the level of competition. Playing in that division you can't come out and have bad games coming up to the draft. Not to mention last year's draft was extremely weak for qb's where even a guy with a disability would be drafted high if teams thought he was so talented. I think he's looked good in pre season so he has some potential but who really knows at this point. I would take trying to develop him over drafting any of the top college prospects this year.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Another year of Hill/Smith/Davis? If that's how the QB depth chart stacks up next season, then this team's toast already.

You have yet to see Davis play. Give him a shot before going off and drafting a QB in the 1st round in a year where all the QBs hold a question mark.

No we don't. That's like Baltimore passing on Flacco because they drafted Troy Smith a year earlier, and even if we draft a 1st rounder Nate Davis could get still get an oppurtunity.

Unless you have a franchise QB you don't rule out taking one. We have to scout these guys and if one grades high enough we have to take them.

We are not in position to draft a QB just to draft a QB. What a waste it would be to draft a QB in the 1st round, pay him all that money, only to have Nate Davis outperform him.

The Flacco/Troy Smith argument doesn't really work because I'm sure no one in Baltimore predicted Troy Smith to be their franchise signal caller.

Nate Davis was projected to go as high as the 2nd round but news of a learning disability as well as his mediocre performances the last two games of his college career dropped his stock. Just like all the other QBs in this upcoming draft, Nate Davis has all the tools you're looking for in a QB.

It's the exact same situation. Troy Smith was projected to be a 1st rounder slipped after the national game and height issues, and was actually going to start the season before an injury gave Flacco the job.

Not a waste at all either. Quarterbacks don't lose trade value until they're a proven bust. If Davis wins the job and becomes the franchise guy the 1st rounder can easily be traded for pretty much the same value that we took him at. Or if the 1st rounder wins and Davis still looks pretty good Davis could be traded for a 2nd rounder ala Matt Cassell, Matt Schaub.

I don't know what you're talking about because I don't remember Troy Smith ever being considered as a 1st round prospect. Yes he was supposed to start the season, but that was only because they didn't want to throw their 1st round rookie QB to the wolves.

Another thing about trading QBs, it is not that easy to trade QBs especially if you think we can get the same value. GMs are always going to think "he was beaten out in training camp" and such. Say Davis does do well but we decide to trade him, you really think we can get a 2nd rounder for a guy who probably hasn't played a regular season snap?

Go back to mocks before the national title and guarantee you will see Troy Smith as a 1st/2nd rounder.

Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees. Rivers could easily been traded for a 1st rounder. GM's won't hold against the rookie just because the current starter developed before the rookie ever had a chance to.

Hard to find a lot of the 2007 mocks, but a couple that I saw had him in the 4th-5th round grade.

After the national title game Mike Mayock said he believed Troy Smith was still a 2nd rounder.

Maybe I'm wrong about him being a 1st rounder, but his stock dropped significantly between January and the draft.

That year Colt Brennan, Andre Woodson, and even John David Bootie were at one point talked up as 1st-2nd rounders. Up until the Senior Bowl/combine draft talk is alot speculation and non sense. That's why I don't care that at one point someone thought Nate Davis could be a 2nd rounder.

Yea you're right. The only difference between the guys you named and Nate is that Nate performed well at the combine.

I'm pretty sure it was his "learning disability" that kept teams away. His college record was outstanding as well as his numbers.

It was more of him not looking impressive in his senior year. His stock dropped throughout the college season. It didn't just plummet b/c of his learning disability. If they think you can play they will work around that.

How did he have a bad year? Ball St. was 12-2 last year and Davis had a QB rating of 156.7. He only had 8 picks and threw 26 TDs. He passed for almost 3600 yards.

Bad year was wrong choice of words. More like lackluster, and his last 3 games really killed him. And he was horrible in the GMAC bowl. Plus you have to factor in the level of competition. Playing in that division you can't come out and have bad games coming up to the draft. Not to mention last year's draft was extremely weak for qb's where even a guy with a disability would be drafted high if teams thought he was so talented. I think he's looked good in pre season so he has some potential but who really knows at this point. I would take trying to develop him over drafting any of the top college prospects this year.

100% agree with you there.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
No Taylor Mays or Eric Berry.

No QB.

Exactly!!!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

It is questionable where Nate Davis will land, but hopefully our coaching staff can point out and correct the mistakes he made in those games.

Davis has the strongest arm on our team, and I like the touch he shows on his throws.
Originally posted by GEEK:

It is questionable where Nate Davis will land, but hopefully our coaching staff can point out and correct the mistakes he made in those games.

Davis has the strongest arm on our team, and I like the touch he shows on his throws.

He literally has all the tools. Strong arm, good accuracy, and decent pocket presence. If coached correctly, then we may have something in Nate.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Bump
this mock would solidify our o line and take us straight to the playoffs
um shaun Hill is not our QB
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
um shaun Hill is not our QB

Mock was made in mid-Oct.

Just reflecting on it after 2-3 more games under our belts.
With Alex stepping up & Davis being a development project we can focus on other positions in the draft & free agency.

Share 49ersWebzone